UIL State Military Contest (1A/2A & 4A)

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone, we are less than a week away from seeing these amazing programs compete at the third UIL State Military Contest! Below you will see who advanced and schedules-

This contest will take place on November 1st, 2022 at Baylor University McLane Stadium in Waco, TX-

2A-

Beckville HS
Carlisle HS
Harleton HS
Hawkins HS
Ore City HS
Overton HS
Shelbyville HS
Timpson HS
Union Grove HS

4A-

Brownsboro HS
Bullard HS
Carthage HS
Center HS
Chapel Hill HS
Gilmer HS
Hardin-Jefferson HS
Henderson HS
Jacksonville HS
Lindale HS
Pittsburg HS
Spring Hill HS
Van HS
Vidor HS

Schedule-

https://www.uiltexas.org/files/music/2022_Prelims_Military_Schedule.pdf 

23 minutes ago, Dave609 said:

Hey everyone, we are less than a week away from seeing these amazing programs compete at the third UIL State Military Contest! Below you will see who advanced and schedules-

This contest will take place on November 1st, 2022 at Baylor University McLane Stadium in Waco, TX-

2A-

Beckville HS
Carlisle HS
Harleton HS
Hawkins HS
Ore City HS
Overton HS
Shelbyville HS
Timpson HS
Union Grove HS

4A-

Brownsboro HS
Bullard HS
Carthage HS
Center HS
Chapel Hill HS
Gilmer HS
Hardin-Jefferson HS
Henderson HS
Jacksonville HS
Lindale HS
Pittsburg HS
Spring Hill HS
Van HS
Vidor HS

Schedule-

https://www.uiltexas.org/files/music/2022_Prelims_Military_Schedule.pdf 

Super happy that this will be at my current home at Baylor! The Golden Wave Band is trying to hopefully do a standstill performance between prelims and finals if we can get enough people to perform as we were told last week, but if not I plan on attending as much as possible! Never seen a military marching contest but I’m super excited to see! 

Alright, so apparently I watched the ending to Union Grove.

Anyways, here are my thoughts on Shelbyville and Timpson-

Shelbyville-

They had a really good performance! I really enjoyed their musical selections and they did have some good marching formations! The main issue I was seeing for them was they were having issues making some formations and some of the students were not in line with the rest of the band and stood out. Overall, good performance and the best of luck!

Timpson-

Very nice performance! The reigning Silver Medalist is looking to add another medal to their collection! They did very well with their musical selections and really had a coupe of moments where sets weren't lined correctly. I also really liked the Tuba duet feature! Something you don't get to see as often in Military shows! Overall, really nice performance from the Timpson HS Band and I hope to see them in finals tonight! Wish them the best of luck!

Beckville-

Really good performance! The reigning Bronze Medalist is looking to join the finals pack and they may have done just that! I really like the music and the formations that they have, and the only big issue I was seeing is they were struggling to make lines, because they were almost always curved. They played with good force for a 2A and I feel that they have a shot for Finals. Also great job to the one twirler that they had! Overall, good job to the Beckville High School Band and I hope to see them in Finals! I wish them the best of luck!

Hawkins-

Good performance. This was the first State Military Appearance for the Hawkins HS Band and they had a good run. I enjoyed the final two movements musical selections! Issues I did see was they were having issues with their formations, and had some students stepping off at wrong times. They also were having issues with their musical techniques and tones. Overall, a good run by the Hawkins HS Band and I wish them the best of luck!

The 5 Bands Advancing to the Finals of the UIL Conference 2A State Military Championships-

6:30 PM- Beckville HS

6:45 PM- Shelbyville HS

7:00 PM- Timpson HS

7:15 PM- Carlisle HS

7:30 PM- Union Grove HS

Congratulations to all 2A Bands that competed today and Good Luck to the Finalist's!!!

It's pretty cool to see how different the culture is between military and corps style contests. Aside from the obvious differences from the performers, there are also more subtle differences in the directors and contest staff. The announcer in the military stream has a very obvious Texan accent and there are people wearing cowboy hats and polo shirts rather than full suits.

Kind of hard to believe that this contest is taking place on the same field I was marching on three days ago.

Please help me in congratulating the Top 5 Bands that have advanced to the Finals of the UIL Conference 4A State Military Contest!-

8:00 PM- Gilmer HS

8:15 PM- Chapel Hill HS

8:30 PM- Carthage HS

8:45 PM- Spring Hill HS

9:00 PM- Lindale HS

Congratulations to all 4A Bands that competed today and Good Luck to the Finalists!!!

Here are the results from the 2022 State Military Contest!-

1A/2A-

1st Place (STATE CHAMPION)- Carlisle HS

2nd Place (SILVER MEDALIST)- Beckville HS

3rd Place (BRONZE MEDALIST)- Timpson HS

4th Place- Union Grove HS

5th Place- Shelbyville HS

4A-

1st Place (STATE CHAMPION)- Lindale HS

2nd Place (SILVER MEDALIST)- Chapel Hill HS

3rd Place (BRONZE MEDALIST)- Carthage HS

4th Place- Gilmer HS

5th Place- Spring Hill HS

Congratulations to all these bands who competed in the finals of the UIL State Military Contest and a Huge Congratulations to our 2022 State Champions Carlisle HS who is now a 3X State Champion and Lindale HS who is also now a 3X State Champion!