Wylie Marching Invitational 2022 (Oct. 1)

6 minutes ago, Majellan said:

Wow, that’s a pretty good line up for wmi this year.  Tempted to make the drive to Wylie for finals on this plus the rare chance to see Lebanon Trail outside of uil.  I don’t remember Flower Mound or Keller Central attending wmi before.

This is KC’s first year, and FlowerMound went for the first time last, and obviously swept everything. 

16 minutes ago, Tubalord11 said:

This is KC’s first year, and FlowerMound went for the first time last, and obviously swept everything. 

I heard kc practicing this morning at the high school while going for a walk in my neighborhood(heritage). I figured they were going to a contest today since practicing on Saturday morning only reason I logged on this morning.  

Band sounds great by the way, I like the score more than the last couple of years!! But Central always sounds great!!  Good Luck!

Legacy HS (6A) - "Clouds"

I think the color guard instructor went to my high school, and if so, it's a nice start to his career. I appreciate the cloud touches on the podiums. Great soloists, especially the trombone with the "Thunder Road" introduction. Ensemble sound definitely needs to be improved for any shot at getting far in 6A Area B. I noticed multiple spacing issues, which I think is a big issue considering the drill isn't exactly complicated.

Summit HS (5A) - "The Circle's Edge"

Always appreciate caped uniforms, and there was one particular great use of them in particular. Visual was overall fairly ambitious, but definitely far from spotless. Sound was good overall with the only real negative being that the low brass was a bit raspy in certain sections. I know that they just underwent major leadership changes, and if the directors stay on and gain more experience, I can see them remaining a perennial 5A contender.

Lone Star HS (5A) - "Primal"

EXCELLENT ensemble sound. "Hold On" can almost be considered a marching band cliche at this point, but this band put a completely fresh spin on it. Visuals were not only challenging and clean, but also really impactful. These performers put everything into this show. I would be very surprised to see them outside of finals not only here, but at BOA DFW.

McKinney Boyd HS (6A) - "Beacon of Hope"

Very strong Hebron vibes here, and the execution is pretty solid. There are some rich ensemble sound and standout visual moments here. I'm not huge on the theme: it feels like given the title, they could have gone a little deeper. What was there was strong, but I do have some concern that none of the closer has been put onto the field.

Liberty HS (5A) - "Queen Bee"

This show's queen bee is a flute player, and she does a great job in her starring role. No props, but field images of hexagons and Carolina-style crowns aid in promoting the effect. While there were some nice moments musically, it didn't feel 100% locked in. While the drill had some inspired formations, the marching itself wasn't that clean.