UIL 5A Area B 2022

3 hours ago, shritan said:

now that area's on every year, it'll be interesting to see some predictions for what i believe is one of the most competitive 5A areas in all of Texas!

It definitely will be exciting! And with Wylie East and Prosper Rock Hill being 6A, and Melissa and Argyle coming up from 4A to this area, we definitely will get to see some new faces in finals! Here’s my super early predictions: 

1st: Wakeland 

2nd: Lonestar 

3rd: Lebanon trail 

4th: Centennial/Lovejoy 

5th: Centennial/ Lovejoy 

6th: Argyle 

7th: McKinney North/Frisco Heritage 

8th: Mckinney north/ Frisco Heritage 

9th:  Frisco Liberty 

10th: Frisco Reedy/The Colony 

8 hours ago, DallasFan said:

Curious to know how many (if any) bands opt to not participate in area since it’s not a state year. 

A head up contest and free day of practice heading into San Antonio is too juicy to pass up. Having judges look at you is always a benefit to the organization. I don't see many top flight bands skipping area. 

• 2 weeks later...
50 minutes ago, awesomecm said:

Centennial's show this year so far is phenomenal they're going to be up there after being robbed last year.

Haven’t got the chance to see them yet… and I wouldn’t say they were robbed. I feel like everyone in this area is to good to see a change in placement from prelims to finals getting robbed. You could make a case for “robbery” for so many different times in this area, but everyone here is so talented. Also, after a couple weeks of comps, here’s my new list. It’s all based on comps results, but my final one will probably be way different 

1st: Wakeland(they will win this) 

3rd: Lebanon trail 

4th: Lovejoy

5th: McKinney North 

6th: Independence 

7th: Centennial 

8th: Argyle 

9th: Melissa(maybe makes finals here???) 

10th: Heritage 

4 minutes ago, awesomecm said:

I don't see LT getting that high this year. But the McKinney North brass is good, but did they even make area finals last year pretty much a long shot for most the ranks.

No if i remember correctly North was 7th in finals last year. I have seen LT this year and they are still really good. They have a very UIL and boa oriented show, and if they clean it will be a big threat. I mean, they did tie with Lonestar for visual in prelims at Wylie, snd that’s saying something, but I’ll be live a boa dfw this weekend to see most of the top FISD schools, but predictions for this comp are so hard 

On 10/6/2022 at 4:13 PM, awesomecm said:

I don't see LT getting that high this year. But the McKinney North brass is good, but did they even make area finals last year pretty much a long shot for most the ranks.

mckinney north is very good this year; placed just behind them at the little elm contest yet they still crushed us

33 minutes ago, windypendyww said:

mckinney north is very good this year; placed just behind them at the little elm contest yet they still crushed us

I did see their exhibition on MMI, and while it was good, the visual program is quite simple, with a lot of play in place and block drill. They also need to clean after the ballad, and I also don’t know how the tap shoe part will transfer into UIL. I definitely see it helping with GE for boa. I’m now feeling more of the 10th-7th range for them. Here’s what I’m leaning towards now that pretty much all band don’t have any comps until this one 

1st: Wakeland(Duhhhh) 

3rd: LT

5th: Independence 

8th: Meliss(they sound great and could place higher)

9th: Mckinney North 

10th: Colony/Heritsge/Emerson(this really could be a good amount of bands) 

On 10/13/2022 at 9:14 PM, Tubalord11 said:

I did see their exhibition on MMI, and while it was good, the visual program is quite simple, with a lot of play in place and block drill. They also need to clean after the ballad, and I also don’t know how the tap shoe part will transfer into UIL. I definitely see it helping with GE for boa. I’m now feeling more of the 10th-7th range for them. Here’s what I’m leaning towards now that pretty much all band don’t have any comps until this one 

1st: Wakeland(Duhhhh) 

3rd: LT

5th: Independence 

8th: Meliss(they sound great and could place higher)

9th: Mckinney North 

10th: Colony/Heritsge/Emerson(this really could be a good amount of bands) 

Not sure what you mean by a lot of playing in place, they move while playing quite a lot. Some of the hits are played in spot, but they move and play a pretty decent amount. another thing, why would the tap dancing not transfer to UIL?

Also at the little elm contest they beat Independence and Centennial. They were closer to Lonestar than they were to Centennial or independence. These were the scores 

Lonestar - 5749 (121 pts diff)

North - 5673 

Independence - 5318 (355 pts diff)

Centennial - 5160 (513 pts diff) 

North might place higher than you're expecting. They have a pretty good show this year, they made to 7th place with a way worse show last year, I'm expecting them to place around 5th or so. 

1 hour ago, TrumpetDude97 said:

Not sure what you mean by a lot of playing in place, they move while playing quite a lot. Some of the hits are played in spot, but they move and play a pretty decent amount. another thing, why would the tap dancing not transfer to UIL?

Also at the little elm contest they beat Independence and Centennial. They were closer to Lonestar than they were to Centennial or independence. These were the scores 

Lonestar - 5749 (121 pts diff)

North - 5673 

Independence - 5318 (355 pts diff)

Centennial - 5160 (513 pts diff) 

North might place higher than you're expecting. They have a pretty good show this year, they made to 7th place with a way worse show last year, I'm expecting them to place around 5th or so. 

I don’t know maybe it was just me, but it just looked like there were certain moments that were simple that could’ve had more affect, but I have no doubt that they are going to do well at this contest.

35 minutes ago, Tubalord11 said:

Is this a joke???

Sadly it is true. This is unfortunately more common than you may think, and has gotten programs like Friendswood, Allen, and Ridge Point in past years. 

6 minutes ago, LostChoirGuy said:

This is so ridiculous.  I know there is no 5A State this year so it doesn't matter much, but Wakeland is easily a top 3 5A band this year and they don't even get to perform at area.  Do they have any other contests?

According to their calendar, Area would've been their last contest. So I guess they are done for the competitive season. What a way to end it though, sweeping BOA north texas.

12 minutes ago, LostChoirGuy said:

This is so ridiculous.  I know there is no 5A State this year so it doesn't matter much, but Wakeland is easily a top 3 5A band this year and they don't even get to perform at area.  Do they have any other contests?

Some equipment broke apparently so they had to delay their start, and UIL says no exceptions. 

Wakeland might have had some technical issues but went over way more than that. I was in attendance and I would say they where at least 1 minute over time.y

And if you time their DFW BOA performance their show is already over 8 minutes. I think they simply gambled and lost.

It's also worth to mentioned that they initially got a sweepstake 1 rating which wasn't charged until this afternoon.

On another note, it is kind of sad that Emerson can't participate in area simply because they don't have a senior class. Although I might have been slightly exaggerating when I called them a top 10 band, I definitely believed they would have been competitive had they been given the chance.

It's nice that 10 bands still advance to finals despite only 19 qualifiers.