UIL 6A Area H Contest 2022

The 6A Area H Contest will be held on Saturday, October 29 in Converse, TX. There are 21 6A bands in this area. Assuming every band earns a 1 at Region, 4 bands will advance to State.

This is the tentative draw for prelims (region numbers in parentheses):

1. East Central (11)

2. Harlan (29)

3. Clemens (11)

4. John Jay (29)

5. Stevens (29)

6. Brennan (29)

7. Westlake (32)

8. Eagle Pass (11)

9. Clark (29)

10. Del Rio (11)

11. Marshall (29)

12. Lake Travis (32)

13. O’Connor (29)

14. Brandeis (29)

15. Judson (11)

16. Vandegrift (32)

17. Holmes (29)

18. Warren (29)

19. Taft (29)

20. Vista Ridge (32)

21. Steele (11)

Performance times can be found in the attached file.

What are our predictions? Will we see a top 4 of Region 32 bands? Will a NISD band advance to State for the first time since 2014? How will Finals look? 

1_6a_area_h_tentative_schedule_9-2-2022.pdf

3 hours ago, ohwell said:

If 4 go to state, it will no doubt be the same 4 as always 

I do think it'll be that way. That being said, I don't think that 4th spot is as safe as some would claim it is. 

Brandeis seems to be the most ready to take that spot. O'Connor, Del Rio, and also Stevens each sound pretty good from the recordings I've heard, and you never know what might happen later on in the season. 

6 hours ago, FEDude said:

I do think it'll be that way. That being said, I don't think that 4th spot is as safe as some would claim it is. 

Brandeis seems to be the most ready to take that spot. O'Connor, Del Rio, and also Stevens each sound pretty good from the recordings I've heard, and you never know what might happen later on in the season. 

I wouldn’t be to certain about Brandeis. I was able to watch McAllen finals and they really look like a completely different band. Apparently they had a different change which makes sense but if LT is still contributing their upward trajectory, I think it’s gonna be the same 4 as last year 

It’s a cold night in October and far away from home for a lot of bands, so I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s like last year and there are a lot of upsets across area especially considering a lot of the bands have historically. Remember how vista ridge won this last year and finished behind both Westlake and Vandy at state. Performing when it’s in the 50s is never the same as in the Alamodome. 

3 hours ago, BandFan95 said:

Holy crap...they just skip regionals?

I'm not sure if I understand correctly but I will try to answer this-

All bands listed here still have to receive a 1 at region to attend this contest.  The draw has just been predetermined so if a band gets a 2 they will be skipped in the order.

On 9/23/2022 at 4:14 PM, LostChoirGuy said:

I'm not sure if I understand correctly but I will try to answer this-

All bands listed here still have to receive a 1 at region to attend this contest.  The draw has just been predetermined so if a band gets a 2 they will be skipped in the order.

Correct, this is only the tentative schedule. This is the maximum number of bands that could potentially be present at Area. 

Well after BOA Austin, I have to admit, Lake Travis may even be as high as 3rd. Nice job ya'll!

Lots of bands with potential for finals. My predictions would have to be:

1. Vandergrift

2. Vista Ridge

3. Westlake

4. Lake Travis

5. Brandeis

6. Del Rio

7. Stevens

8. Harlan

9. Judson

10. Brennan

I think 1-2 could flip, 3-4 could flip, 5 is pretty set, Del Rio and Stevens will for sure be in finals, and after that I'm kinda guessing.

Also saw Marshall's show and it made me very happy. Color guard is performing beautifully as are their low brass and woodwinds. When Marshall did Phantom in 1990 it was something really special and I'm glad to see it again. 

On 9/25/2022 at 4:06 PM, FEDude said:

Well after BOA Austin, I have to admit, Lake Travis may even be as high as 3rd. Nice job ya'll!

Lots of bands with potential for finals. My predictions would have to be:

1. Vandergrift

2. Vista Ridge

3. Westlake

4. Lake Travis

5. Brandeis

6. Del Rio

7. Stevens

8. Harlan

9. Judson

10. Brennan

I think 1-2 could flip, 3-4 could flip, 5 is pretty set, Del Rio and Stevens will for sure be in finals, and after that I'm kinda guessing.

Also saw Marshall's show and it made me very happy. Color guard is performing beautifully as are their low brass and woodwinds. When Marshall did Phantom in 1990 it was something really special and I'm glad to see it again. 

Still think Brandeis will be 5th and Del Rio will for sure be in finals. After this week, I'm just not sure about anything after that. The truth will probably look way different  

Other bands to look at are O'Connor, Steele, and Taft. All are putting out great sounds this season.

Also Marshall's show is really fun. Ever since they moved their front ensemble to the front, their timing and visual has really improved.

Region 11 Contest - Saturday, October 15th - Rutledge Stadium, Converse

5:15 - Harlandale

5:30 - C C Winn

5:45 - Veterans Memorial

6:00 - Southside

6:15 - Medina Valley

6:30 - McCollum

6:45 - South San

7:00 - Wagner

7:15 - Legacy

7:30 - Southwest

8:15 - East Central

8:30 - Del Rio

8:45 - Eagle Pass

9:00 - Clemens

9:15 - Steele

9:30 - Judson

50 minutes ago, TexasWoo1999 said:

OFFICIAL:

21 bands are competing in prelims here and 4 bands will advance to the State Marching Contest.

That’s great news! It’s definitely going to be Vista Ridge, Westlake and Vandegrift going to state with a spot left to fight for.

Last spot is most likely going to Lake Travis but we’ve seen bigger shake-ups in other areas, so keep an eye on Brandeis and O’Connor

As good as the NISD bands are getting, I just don't see Lake Travis losing it. They're growing exponentially. Brandeis is probably the only band that could knock them out, but I don't see it happening this cycle.

I think now that Del Rio, Stevens, and O'Connor will be in finals. The other 2 spots I haven't the faintest of clues. 

9 hours ago, FEDude said:

As good as the NISD bands are getting, I just don't see Lake Travis losing it. They're growing exponentially. Brandeis is probably the only band that could knock them out, but I don't see it happening this cycle.

I think now that Del Rio, Stevens, and O'Connor will be in finals. The other 2 spots I haven't the faintest of clues. 

Last 2 spots will be Brennan and Steele. There is a little bit of a drop off after that.