22 minutes ago, Trombonetcod said:

What do you guys think of Timber Creeks  show ellipse? 

Personally I have never seen their show before, or really scouted them out, but WOW! I was blown away with them. Their sound was great. The music was also very well written, the chords were very luscious! Don’t get me wrong, I won’t say their show was flawless. I saw a lone shoe on the left side of the field, being rolled over and marched upon, but the thing is, I couldn’t tell whose shoe it was! The technique was still the same, which impressed me. 
I was very happy they advanced for sure!

50 minutes ago, Vidal28 said:

For those that went to both Area B prelims and Area C finals, I’m curious to hear the opinion of which y’all liked more to be a spectator of. For me, as much as I enjoy Hebron and Marcus(two highlights of the night for me for sure) I feel like Area B was full of bands I could listen to play all day. Pretty much every area C band with a few exceptions was *EXPLOSIVE* and powerful with their sounds and capabilities with their woodwinds and hornline. There was a true clash of styles between the two areas that was very apparent to all that attended both, it was a different world almost!! But I also feel many of Area B’s shows had better structure, gave the audience more room to breathe and cool down. Can’t really say much for the Area C prelims bands who didn’t make finals because I wasn’t there to see them, but I definitely enjoyed Area B prelims as a whole more than Area C, as spectacular as those bands were in finals👀

Hebron blew me away with their exceptional proficiency in every possible way! Yay to my favorite group to listen to! Their shows bring on unprecedented levels of musicianship every year, it’s like the music gets harder every year🥵 whenever I listen to other groups I can tell what their limit is, like I can tell when they don’t play as many 16th notes or do as much dynamic contrast because they wouldn’t wouldn’t sound their best either way. However with Hebron it seems their skill set is LIMITLESS. Nothing is too hard for them.

For performance skills, I enjoyed getting to hear how LOUD the Area C bands were! Did not expect McKinney Boyd to blow my face off🤯! I loved getting to listen to programs with strong concert band programs like Lewisville and Wylie. They reminded me of Waxahachie, having that exceptionally sophisticated quality of sound regardless of the volume, capable of making clear distinctions between various volume levels; and I loved the strong presence of the woodwinds. They impressed me with how clearly and cleanly they can execute their runs. 

As for show design, prosper’s was one of my favorite this year. I loved that opening brass feature will go down as an all time favorite for me.

I didn’t prefer one show style over the other. Some groups I could argue I was more impressed with comparing the skillsets of the respective finalists but I enjoyed everybody equally 

25 minutes ago, Trombonetcod said:

What do you guys think of Timber Creeks  show ellipse? 

I was impressed by the quality of sound they played considering the exposed, high intensity music they attempted. During the ballad I LOVED the way both the brass and woodwinds could shape those soft, delicate phrases. When attempting something like that, it can be easy to play too soft or crescendo too soon but they handled it beautifully.

51 minutes ago, 1998-2018 said:

I have a long term affiliation with the KISD band programs and have enjoyed watching Timber Creek performances and growing maturity since the school opened. I think the underlying issue in this case may be the specificity of your observation. While it is true that “TC became an area medalist their second appearance in the state qualifiers” this is not particularly surprising in comparison to other things that happened at the competition . It’s also kind of like saying “X  rarely happens on the third day of the seventh month of an odd numbered year.” The reality is Timber Creek has been the Area B runner up (6th place) five or six consecutive years before breaking through (5th place) and advancing to the SMBC last year. Timber Creek has already been a force within Area B for many years. They moved up one place last year. Two more places the next year is extremely satisfying for supporters of the program (like me) but not exactly unprecedented for an up and coming band in the activity. Especially when the band in question has been having such a strong year. Waxahachie’s recent trajectory has been similar.

Consequently more attention has been paid to the judges sheets and how the preliminary and final rankings for all the bands were actually determined.

Consensus, continuity, and consistency did not appear to rule the day.

Having said that I don’t have a problem with who is advancing, even if my personal selections would have been slightly different. I really just wish there was room for a couple more. 

Given the propensity to apply Olympic level scaffolding to name recognition in marching band- I’d say it’s markedly more interesting.  

5 hours ago, Gehrig4 said:

Given the propensity to apply Olympic level scaffolding to name recognition in marching band- I’d say it’s markedly more interesting.  

I need some help with clarification, please. The intended meaning of your reply eludes me. 🤔

Edit: Wait…are you referring to the proverbial medal podium? Sure, that’s cool and it is Area B so it could help add to their reputation but are you forgetting they already have a BOA Regional win too? Don’t people already know who they are?

6 hours ago, Dallas Hobbs said:

Can someone explain what the “content” sub-caption means in music and visual?

In a traditional context it means difficulty and level of achievement combined. You can have the hardest possible thing written, but if it is higher than the capability of your students you won’t get credit for it. Also if everything is too easy then your score won’t be as high either.

UIL is known for weird scoring, so they might not even do it this way.

5 minutes ago, littlejaw said:

In a traditional context it means difficulty and level of achievement combined. You can have the hardest possible thing written, but if it is higher than the capability of your students you won’t get credit for it. Also if everything is too easy then your score won’t be as high either.

UIL is known for weird scoring, so they might not even do it this way.

Actually, I think it is purely difficulty scored on the achievability of your students. All of the other scores show the execution whereas content will be only difficulty. But again only difficulty that is achievable by your students and also not too easy.

15 hours ago, 1998-2018 said:

I need some help with clarification, please. The intended meaning of your reply eludes me. 🤔

Edit: Wait…are you referring to the proverbial medal podium? Sure, that’s cool and it is Area B so it could help add to their reputation but are you forgetting they already have a BOA Regional win too? Don’t people already know who they are?

I’m saying that name recognition, similarly to gymnastics and ice skating in the Olympics clearly provides scaffolding for schools’ programs in competitions.     It’s difficult to crack and it’s difficult to fall out.    I’m not saying it can’t be done - nor am I saying it’s unfair- but I AM saying that listing rising schools’ achievements- however banal to you, is indeed meaningful and an important metric.   :)

32 minutes ago, moneyman said:

Thoughts on Waxahachie?

I mean what more can I say. Like with Dville, I'm a little biased towards them since I used to compete with those kids at region and was really good friends with a lot of them. With that said, Waxahachie carries themselves with so much proffesionalism and elegance with their show (Building Paris) this year being a prime example of that. They consistently play difficult music all while making it sound easy and they're able to do that because of how well the fundamentals are taught over there. Their soloists are also consistently stellar and they move incredibly well as well. Waxahachie is a program I'd keep my eye on as they won't be going away any time soon and they're only going to get better from here. 

11 minutes ago, moneyman said:

Thoughts on Waxahachie?

Terrific musical skillsets all around, especially when played simultaneously with their choreography. They perform exceptionally well in extended phrases and are very clean marchers considering the complexity or their drill moves and formations. Great dynamic contrast, great balance and blend of voices, superb quality of sound in the upper register in the woodwinds. Lots of great stuff from Waxahachie