50 minutes ago, Dallas Hobbs said:

Same thing happened when I predicted this order: Lake Highlands> Martin > Berkner. Inaccurate for prelims, accurate for finals 

When @HeartOfTexas said I should become a band better, they were on to something. I didn’t expect to be this accurate…

Edited by Dallas Hobbs

Some intriguing things that happened regarding my analyses and predictions: 

I was impressed to see Waxahachie above Keller. I recognized that Hachie utilizes more shape in their musical phrases while Keller plays higher velocity material on the move. I assumed the latter would be enough for a higher placement but it turned out to be the opposite. 

I recognized Bell’s excellence in visual performance and so did the judges in prelims as they received two 1st place rankings, but it was a totally different story in finals. They received two 8th place rankings

Edited by Dallas Hobbs

On 10/3/2022 at 10:10 AM, Trumpetmaster728 said:

Early predictions for area b,I  believe 6 bands make state at this comp so i will go based off that.

1.Keller (state)

2.Coppel (state)

3.Keller central (state)

4.Lake RIdge (state)

5.LD Bell (state)

6.Waxa (state)

7.TImber creek 

8.Haltom

9.Duncanville

10.POSSIBLE lake highlands

Definitely could see top 6 switching around a lot with highland park and everyone being there. Doubt highland park will beat lake ridge since they didn't at preview of champions. With keller central beating Lake RIdge i believe they will do it again this competition. Keller and Coppel are locks, this is the most competitive area in 6a I would say. LD bell could definitely swap around, there band has always been very good all around but with more bands rising up in skill i'm not sure how they will do. Always haven't liked this area due to the bands in it, and also how many bands there is in the competition. Plus judging is all over the place in terms of UIL judging. I will be very happy to see my top 6 make state, as they all deserve it.

Bell and Lake Highlands predictions were spot on!

2 hours ago, Vidal28 said:

Lake Ridge got tanked by a music judge in finals, very much disagree with their opinion on the ensemble, and various others they made in prelims too. LR would’ve made state had that third music ordinal been around what the other two were…

Or another way to look at it, only 2 of the 5 judges saw them as state advancing where as the majority did not.

3 hours ago, Vidal28 said:

Lake Ridge got tanked by a music judge in finals, very much disagree with their opinion on the ensemble, and various others they made in prelims too. LR would’ve made state had that third music ordinal been around what the other two were…

called it LOL

5 hours ago, littlejaw said:

Or another way to look at it, only 2 of the 5 judges saw them as state advancing where as the majority did not.

Missing the point that I said that one judge tanked them in the music ordinal with an “11” even with an 8, or a 7, that’s still not “state advancing”, but their total ordinal count would say otherwise. It’s not just about the fine margins here

For those that went to both Area B prelims and Area C finals, I’m curious to hear the opinion of which y’all liked more to be a spectator of. For me, as much as I enjoy Hebron and Marcus(two highlights of the night for me for sure) I feel like Area B was full of bands I could listen to play all day. Pretty much every area C band with a few exceptions was *EXPLOSIVE* and powerful with their sounds and capabilities with their woodwinds and hornline. There was a true clash of styles between the two areas that was very apparent to all that attended both, it was a different world almost!! But I also feel many of Area B’s shows had better structure, gave the audience more room to breathe and cool down. Can’t really say much for the Area C prelims bands who didn’t make finals because I wasn’t there to see them, but I definitely enjoyed Area B prelims as a whole more than Area C, as spectacular as those bands were in finals👀

44 minutes ago, peshbandkid said:

While Duncanville does have a name in UIL terms, to make it sound like they only advanced  based on that is ignorant. Duncanville worked just as hard as every other finalist band and it's not like SLC and Lake Ridge were miles away. SLC lost a tie-breaker 3-2 and Lake Ridge was 2 points behind them. 

And for the record, every area has deserving bands that get left out (Area C and Area D) because that's just what happens.

Would like to add that their show was very entertaining! Not many bands in this area could pull off what they did in their ballad either, very awesome part of their show, that I’m sure was a crowd favorite!