UIL 6A Area I 2022

51 minutes ago, Dave609 said:

Wow Cy-Faie having to go first....Great Way to Start the contest, but not a fun spot to have in the schedule.

I doubt this hurts their "chances" of making finals but it definitely could put them lower in the rankings going into finals and makes for a LONG day for their students. All in all I don't think they will have any problems making state!

Going to state

1 Cy-Fair 

2 Cypress Woods 

3 Bridgeland

4 Seven Lakes

5 Jordan 

The rest of the finalists 

6 JET

7 Cinco Ranch

8 Jersey Village

9 Tompkins

10 Cy-falls 

This competition really could go a number of ways but I think cy fair should Have this one down as long as they continue cleaning and have a good run. Second Third and Fourth could be any combination of woods bridgeland and 7 lakes but these programs all feel like a lock for state.

that fifth state spot could go a lot of different programs but Jordan feels like the most likely at this point.

Katy high school could also make finals, area Judging is weird.

I haven't seen videos other than Jordan so I really only have contests and history to judge comparatively. I do hope the judging here this year is more streamlined than the past few years! I think this may be bridgeland's night come Saturday, their show really plays into the UIL sheet I believe. Cy Fair is very exciting but last I checked, slightly dirtier. They will be more successful at BOA but I could see either of these two shows pushing for a State finals spot maybe... Cy Woods and 7L have very different shows but I believe they're the next tier. Not quite as "perfected" as Bridgeland and Cy Fair but they are still very high achieving shows and I think that will be rewarded Saturday. Jordan and JET will be competing for the last state spot in my opinion. The judging so far has said that JET is better musically and Jordan is better visually (going off the Katy show a couple weeks ago). Given the history of the programs and directors, I believe these will be neck in neck come Saturday and it will all depend on the judges. Very exciting! It would be very impressive for Jordan to make 6A state on only their 3rd year open and their first senior class.

I do however see the possibility of an upset from maybe Katy, Jersey Village or Tompkins!  

On 10/24/2022 at 9:20 AM, Boa.enjoyer said:

Going to state

1 Cy-Fair 

2 Cypress Woods 

3 Bridgeland

4 Seven Lakes

5 Jordan 

The rest of the finalists 

6 JET

7 Cinco Ranch

8 Jersey Village

9 Tompkins

10 Cy-falls 

This competition really could go a number of ways but I think cy fair should Have this one down as long as they continue cleaning and have a good run. Second Third and Fourth could be any combination of woods bridgeland and 7 lakes but these programs all feel like a lock for state.

that fifth state spot could go a lot of different programs but Jordan feels like the most likely at this point.

Katy high school could also make finals, area Judging is weird.

Honestly I would have Katy in finals over Cy Falls. I am a huge fan of Cy-Falls resurgence the past 2 seasons but I think they took too big of a step up in demand and the students are having pacing issues. In the long run, they will be fine, but I think Katy is in a better position to take the last spot in finals. 

14 hours ago, Cityscapes said:

Honestly I would have Katy in finals over Cy Falls. I am a huge fan of Cy-Falls resurgence the past 2 seasons but I think they took too big of a step up in demand and the students are having pacing issues. In the long run, they will be fine, but I think Katy is in a better position to take the last spot in finals. 

I agree, Katy has had a good marching season competitively so I think we will see them Saturday night. Cinco Ranch seems like a wild card for me. I was impressed at the beginning of the season but I haven't seen them since. They have competed well at some smaller contests so will be interesting to watch them, Jersey Village and Tompkins 

14 hours ago, Cityscapes said:

25 minutes ago, ChristopherRoden said:

I agree, Katy has had a good marching season competitively so I think we will see them Saturday night. Cinco Ranch seems like a wild card for me. I was impressed at the beginning of the season but I haven't seen them since. They have competed well at some smaller contests so will be interesting to watch them, Jersey Village and Tompkins 

As a Katy band parent, I appreciate y'all!  They've added a ton to the show since BOA (heck they didn't even play the whole show there...and the ending is unique and dramatic), and they've added visuals to the completed show since finishing well at the Katy Marching Festival and Battle of the Berry.  They're musically strong despite being largely Freshmen and Sophs.  The draw was kind and they're reaching the peak of what they've got.  I'm just hoping they'll put their best run out there and make a good impression.

3 hours ago, Boa.enjoyer said:

OH MY GOSH, cyfair sounded sooo good!!!!1!!1!

i hope they make finals

They were great! Flew in for my nephew's bar mitzvah and made sure to wake up at 6:30 so I could drive over to this contest and catch some bands. I am SO tired! :lol:

I got a few videos. I might have to create a Google account later. :(

4 hours ago, Rubisco said:

They were great! Flew in for my nephew's bar mitzvah and made sure to wake up at 6:30 so I could drive over to this contest and catch some bands. I am SO tired! :lol:

I got a few videos. I might have to create a Google account later. :(

Would love to hear your thoughts on what you saw! Your opinions are always helpful in terms of understanding results.

i’ve been told from friends

1st - cy fair (state)

2nd - seven lakes (state)

3rd - bridgeland (state)

4th - cy woods (state)

5th - j e taylor (state)

6th - katy

7th - cinco ranch

8th - jersey village

9th - tompkins

10th - jordan

anyone know what happened with jordan? i wasn’t there so i didn’t see how they did but that result is contrary to what i’ve been hearing about them this season. regardless, congrats to all bands who played today, and i look forward to seeing the top 5 at state!

29 minutes ago, contrabassclarinet said:

i’ve been told from friends

1st - cy fair (state)

2nd - seven lakes (state)

3rd - bridgeland (state)

4th - cy woods (state)

5th - j e taylor (state)

6th - katy

7th - cinco ranch

8th - jersey village

9th - tompkins

10th - jordan

anyone know what happened with jordan? i wasn’t there so i didn’t see how they did but that result is contrary to what i’ve been hearing about them this season. regardless, congrats to all bands who played today, and i look forward to seeing the top 5 at state!

I am so proud of our kids, they were awesome, but finishing 6th when 5 go... dang...so excruciatingly close. 

Congrats to those that made it!