Edinburg

Edinburg North

Weslaco

Harlingen

San Benito

Los Fresnos

Hanna

Rivera

Makes for 17 bands. Considering the programs left after realignment, I can't see three of them getting a 2 at region. We'll probably see three advance to state.  

9 hours ago, vbassoon said:

Alexander

LBJ

United

United South

La Joya

Mission

PSJA

PSJA  Collegiate?

Economedes

Edinburg

Edinburg North

Weslaco

Harlingen

San Benito

Los Fresnos

Hanna

Rivera

Makes for 17 bands. Considering the programs left after realignment, I can't see three of them getting a 2 at region. We'll probably see three advance to state.  

I agree. Last years area finals was a big shake up with Edinburg North coming back. I haven’t seen the valley Bands I’m sure they’ve had great progress.

• 1 month later...

There is no doubt Alexander will retain the Area G title again this season. From what I have seen online, the band has improved so much from last year, so I am excited to see how they do at area. 

I am unsure which bands will take the 2nd and 3rd spots to state. I have seen videos of Hanna online, and they sound great with their musical selections this year. They won 1st place overall at the San Benito marching festival a few weeks ago; I think we will see Hanna advance to state again. Also a few weeks ago, United went down to the valley for the City of Palms festival where they won 1st place overall as well. I haven't seen videos of United's show yet, but given they were on top of PSJA (2nd overall) and Edinburg North that night --two bands that were above them in area finals last year -- shows they have improved from last year and really want that state title. Not to mention, Edinburg HS got 3rd overall at the same competition! I think we will see them in area finals. 

There's a lot of awesome stuff happening in the South. I wish our area could take more than 3 bands to state, but a lot of 6A bands last year have gone down to 5A unfortunately. I'll post my finalist predictions when I see more area bands online, but right now, this contest is going to be so intense. 

On 10/17/2022 at 9:37 PM, downsideup said:

There is no doubt Alexander will retain the Area G title again this season. From what I have seen online, the band has improved so much from last year, so I am excited to see how they do at area. 

I am unsure which bands will take the 2nd and 3rd spots to state. I have seen videos of Hanna online, and they sound great with their musical selections this year. They won 1st place overall at the San Benito marching festival a few weeks ago; I think we will see Hanna advance to state again. Also a few weeks ago, United went down to the valley for the City of Palms festival where they won 1st place overall as well. I haven't seen videos of United's show yet, but given they were on top of PSJA (2nd overall) and Edinburg North that night --two bands that were above them in area finals last year -- shows they have improved from last year and really want that state title. Not to mention, Edinburg HS got 3rd overall at the same competition! I think we will see them in area finals. 

There's a lot of awesome stuff happening in the South. I wish our area could take more than 3 bands to state, but a lot of 6A bands last year have gone down to 5A unfortunately. I'll post my finalist predictions when I see more area bands online, but right now, this contest is going to be so intense. 

Finals predictions:

JBA

United

Hanna

Edingburg North

??

??
??

Why are people so confident Alexander will be first?  Hanna has qualified for the state competition 8 straight times. Their show sounds fantastic! AND they can actually march AND march and play!

There's even a TikTok video of them that's had 500K views! 

Also...Hanna finished AHEAD of Alexander at State last year. 

It's gonna be an interesting contest!

4 hours ago, SpudMuffin said:

Why are people so confident Alexander will be first?  Hanna has qualified for the state competition 8 straight times. Their show sounds fantastic! AND they can actually march AND march and play!

I think Hanna typically is a late peaking band while Alexander peaks earlier based on what I've seen past seasons. 

10 hours ago, SpudMuffin said:

"They can actually march AND march and play" what do you mean by that?

11 hours ago, SpudMuffin said:

Placement at state has significantly less to do with area. In some years, there have been 4/5 placements at area that completely flipped at state

On 10/21/2022 at 11:54 PM, SpudMuffin said:

I think it’s more of how much progress Alexander has made from last year to this year. The sound, the visuals, the general effect, the attitude, there’s a lot of factors that have drastically changed from just last year alone. Alexander has obviously been taking notes from the stacked competitions they’ve been going to. Placing just under a point beneath Leander at Texas Marching Classic also speaks a lot about how they are doing this year. Now that’s not to say that Hanna hasn’t been doing great, I think they’ve also been having phenomenal season. To add, Alexander has a very visually and musically demanding show, as all their previous shows have been and they’re doing a great job meeting those expectations. I don’t think it’s right of you to say they aren’t doing so. P.S., TikTok algorithm is very Russian roulette-esque and anybody can post a video and get more than 500k likes/views. Good luck to all bands! This is gonna be a great contest! 

40 minutes ago, SoundOff said:

To add, Alexander has a very visually and musically demanding show, as all their previous shows have been and they’re doing a great job meeting those expectations. I don’t think it’s right of you to say they aren’t doing so.

I never said they aren't doing a great job.

My only point is that people shouldn't be dismissive of other great bands that have the experience and the consistency to perform at a high level.  Don't jump to conclusions if you haven't already seen all of the band's performances. 

9 hours ago, SpudMuffin said:

I never said they aren't doing a great job.

My only point is that people shouldn't be dismissive of other great bands that have the experience and the consistency to perform at a high level.  Don't jump to conclusions if you haven't already seen all of the band's performances. 

No one here has any intention of being dismissive of other bands when they praise other bands that aren't the one you support and you shouldn't take it as such. People have their own opinions and those should be respected. Making underhanded comments like "They can actually march AND march and play" is unnecessary and not needed here.