Shows That Have Deeply Moved You

Marcus 2009. Always been a fan of Shakespeare, and this was one of the first shows that I got to watch live that I can actually remember.

Reagan 2019 Ballad. I didn't get to watch it live, but watching the recordings after seeing that they had won with the highest score at San Antonio ever, that was the point where it made sense. The flags all going up at the exact same time with the loud hit is just unbelievable. 

Hebron 2015 Ballad, mostly because I marched this show and still vividly remember being able to see the crowd react to the sax high note in the ballad. I don't remember most of the shows I marched in already, I have to go back and watch video just to remember what they sounded like, but that 2015 ballad will always stick with me. That feeling is unbelievable and is why so many kids turn to this amazing activity and put so much of their lives into it.

One of my cousins would want me to throw Reagan 2005 and CTJ 2014 in there as well. 

Going to edit this to add Cadets 2011, even though it isn't high school. If you haven't seen it, it's one of the greatest achievements by any organization on a marching field, maybe along with Crown's brass in 2013 in my opinion.

• 2 weeks later...

2015 Hendrickson's "Lost". The music and choreography were amazing. The story of being Lost then finding home. The chaos of the storm, the Band on lock down, (me sitting on the 130 toll in a tornado watching a tractor trailer rig flip over on the North bound lane), BOA not budging on awarding a new time slot and the ISD not allowing the band to meet the existing time slot causing a disqualification. Performing in the exhibition in San Antonio then loading up and driving to the US Bands competition at Kelly Reeves and winning. I guess you could say I was moved in many ways.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

TWHS 2004 - Numbers: I saw this at Area E in Round Rock. They went on to perform at UIL State finals and BOA Grand Nationals finals. I just remember being so fascinated and thinking, “wow marching band can be so cool!” 

L.D. Bell 2005 - Ascension: This show is so exhilarating! Highly recommend looking it They are booking it for so much of the show. Between the part with the oboe playing guard member, the presto version of Light of Gold 🥵, and the back field ballad of Light of Gold… this show has so many layers. I would love to see someone revive this show and reinvent it a little.

L.D. Bell 2006 - The Remaining: I still remember the the Alamodome being dead silent besides the heartbeat they emulated. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/1/2023 at 5:47 PM, whitewing09 said:

TWHS 2004 - Numbers: I saw this at Area E in Round Rock. They went on to perform at UIL State finals and BOA Grand Nationals finals. I just remember being so fascinated and thinking, “wow marching band can be so cool!” 

L.D. Bell 2005 - Ascension: This show is so exhilarating! Highly recommend looking it They are booking it for so much of the show. Between the part with the oboe playing guard member, the presto version of Light of Gold 🥵, and the back field ballad of Light of Gold… this show has so many layers. I would love to see someone revive this show and reinvent it a little.

L.D. Bell 2006 - The Remaining: I still remember the the Alamodome being dead silent besides the heartbeat they emulated. 

I always recommend that whole era of LD Bell 2005-2010 to any newcomer to the scene willing to watch/listen.  Rankings aside, it was some of the most beautifully written and performed music to ever grace a field.

Also I think TWHS '04 might've been one of the very first BOA shows I ever watched aside from groups like Westfield, Bowie, Leander and Cedar Park whom I got to watch live in HS at games and competitions.  I'd heard of bands like Winston Churchill, Spring and my senior year was the first time I heard the name "Carmel" and becoming aware of bands out of state, but I didn't watch my first marching band online video until Summer 2006. And those finalists from the '05 and '04 lineups were some of the first I watched.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Less on the deeply moved, but in the realm of iconic:

Reagan 2001 - BOA Houston: first regional win for them. The show design, more so than their show the year before, established the quintessential Reagan of heavy electronic leading into a grand fanfare. It’s such a fun show to watch. 

Reagan 2015 - BOA Conroe(?): starting in 2007 Reagan had began fallen off the top echelon. They slowly started making their way back up, but 2015 was when they made the jump, winning their first regional and medaling at BOA SA for the first time in almost ten years(?) the Conroe show was especially special because they still had the flute solo ballad that was later replaced by a vocalist. 

Flower Mound 2016 - BOA Plano: I watched this from a livecast and it shook me. The power, the technical prowess. They might have won BOA SA in 2015, but this show proved it wasn’t a fluke. They beat Marcus/Hebron by almost four points and went on to sweep San Antonio by two points.