The Northside Independent School District is the largest school district in San Antonio and has 11 (soon to be 12) band programs that compete in UIL Class 6A. In the past, many of these programs have had success at the regional and state levels (Marshall, Taft, O’Connor, Brennan, Clark and Holmes have all qualified for State at least once). However, no NISD band has qualified for State since 2014. Additionally, no NISD band has competed nationally in at least the last 25 years (if ever). I’m curious to know why this is because there’s a lot of untapped potential here. The district is growing rapidly every year and it’s only a matter of time until another band makes State again or goes to Grand Nats. 

On 3/31/2022 at 12:33 PM, TRBbaritone said:

The Northside Independent School District is the largest school district in San Antonio and has 11 (soon to be 12) band programs that compete in UIL Class 6A. In the past, many of these programs have had success at the regional and state levels (Marshall, Taft, O’Connor, Brennan, Clark and Holmes have all qualified for State at least once). However, no NISD band has qualified for State since 2014. Additionally, no NISD band has competed nationally in at least the last 25 years (if ever). I’m curious to know why this is because there’s a lot of untapped potential here. The district is growing rapidly every year and it’s only a matter of time until another band makes State again or goes to Grand Nats. 

I am curious as to who NISD's fine arts director is. LOTS of good things going on across the board there.

Ah I remember him! I attended a school in NISD for middle school, he does really great with the district fine arts wise. There are some great directors in that district, some of those schools' programs are starting to grow really rapidly now, much of the district has stepped it up music wise over the last five years or so. For the longest time it was basically O'connor and Taft leading the district pretty far ahead of the pack. Now Brandeis, Warren, Clark and Brennan are really starting to come on strong, especially the first two. 

Happy to see the direction some of these programs are going in, hope to see them keep it up.