2022 TMEA Honor Band Thread

The region results have been posted. More specifically, the groups that are advancing, not the actual rankings.

https://www.tmea.org/band/honor-band/entry-list/

TMEA used to only take 2 from each region on to area, but they've recently expanded it to 4. What that means is the vast majority of bands that participated this year advanced to area. I haven't counted, but maybe in most regions literally every group that completed their submission advanced. That kind of makes one wonder why we held region contests in the first place, doesn't it? Maybe it would be better if all the bands went straight to area and we took 3 or 4 from each area to state instead of 2, if you want to be more inclusive and make sure that every group that belongs at state makes it there.

The Region 20 info isn't correct, for what it's worth.  The order was Waxahachie, Richardson, Pearce, Lake Highlands, with Berkner not advancing.  The website shows Berkner advancing instead of Lake Highlands.  

Unless something has transpired since the results were shared at the completion of the judging...

On 6/15/2022 at 3:55 PM, aaron067 said:

The Region 20 info isn't correct, for what it's worth.  The order was Waxahachie, Richardson, Pearce, Lake Highlands, with Berkner not advancing.  The website shows Berkner advancing instead of Lake Highlands.  

Unless something has transpired since the results were shared at the completion of the judging...

Hmmm, they still haven't fixed that on the TMEA site. I wonder what's going on.

No state advancement updates on the site yet, either, but the sessions are happening both today and tomorrow, so I wouldn't expect them so soon anyway.

12 hours ago, MrMusic5002 said:

Area B 6A

1 Keller Central-advancing

2 Lake Ridge-advancing

3. Keller

4. Coppell

5. South Grand Prairie

6. McKinney

7. McKinney Boyd

8. Fossil Ridge

Wow! Congrats to Keller Central and Lake Ridge! Coppell in 4th is a little unexpected. They're usually pretty dominant in Honor Band and were 5th at State last time. The Hindemith did have some noticeable issues though. Such a challenging piece!

Final State Honor Band Participants 

Area A- 1= Eastlake 

Area B-2 =Keller Central, Lake Ridge

Area C-3 = Hebron, Flower Mound, Wylie

Area D-2 = Westwood, Pearce

Area E-2 = CTJ, Vista Risge

Area F-3 = College Park, Cy Woods, Tomball Memorial 

Area G- 3 = United, Rivera, Hanna

Area H- 3 = Dawson, Tompkins, Clear Lake

I'm not sure what CTJ and Vista Ridge are bringing to the table, but Hebron's recording was absolutely spectacular.  There were many moments that left me with the sense that I was listening to a professional recording.  Flower Mound was also incredible.  It all depends on the judging panel for State, of course, so I wouldn't be surprised to see either performing at TMEA next February.    

49 minutes ago, aaron067 said:

I'm not sure what CTJ and Vista Ridge are bringing to the table, but Hebron's recording was absolutely spectacular.  There were many moments that left me with the sense that I was listening to a professional recording.  Flower Mound was also incredible.  It all depends on the judging panel for State, of course, so I wouldn't be surprised to see either performing at TMEA next February.    

CTJ 11112 - but you are right - it will come down to the judges

Vista Ridge

Lake Travis

WestLake

MacArthur

Reagan

Churchill

On 6/15/2022 at 3:55 PM, aaron067 said:

I was there.  Berkner advanced LH didn’t from the region. 

9 hours ago, aaron067 said:

I believe advancing recordings from Areas C and D are:

Hebron, Flower Mound, and Wylie

Westwood and Pearce

That’s correct. 

in 2C Area D 

1) Coleman MS Waxahachie 

2) Foster MS Longview 

in area C 

1) Arbor Creek 

On 5/17/2022 at 3:26 PM, LKendrick said:

These stood out to me in 4A:

Alvarado 

• The Footlifter by Henry Filmore 
  • Irish Tune from County Derry by Percy Grainger (4)
  • Khan by Julie Giroux (4)

Anna

• Entry March of the Boyars Johan Halvorsen
  • O Magnum Mysterium by Morton Lauridsen (4)
  • Vesuvius by Frank Ticheli (5)

Argyle

• Onward-Upward March by Karl King
  • Mock Morris by Percy Grainger (4)
  • Southern Harmony by Donald Grantham (5)

Canton

• Florentiner March Julius Fučík
  • Irish Tune from County by Percy Grainger (4)
  • Suite of Old American Dances by Robert Russell Bennett (5)

Canyon

• Children's March by Percy Grainger
  • First Suite in Eb by Gustav Holst (5)
  • Until the Scars by John Mackey (5)

China Spring

• Glory of the Yankee Navy by John Phillip Sousa 
  • The Engulfed Cathedral by Claude Debussy (5)
  • Ride by Samuel Hazo (5)

Krum

• III. March - "Folk Songs from Somerset" by Ralph Vaughn Williams 
  • Lux Aurumque by Eric Whitacre (4)
  • Reluctant Joys by Brant Karick (5)

Little Cypress Mauriceville

• Amparito Roca by Jaime Teixidor
  • Dusk by Steven Bryant (4)
  • Until the Scars by John Mackey (5)

Melissa

• Commando March by Samuel Barber
  • Rhosymedre by Ralph Vaughn Williams (4)
  • With Heart and Voice by David Gillingham (4)

North Lamar 

• Honey Boys on Parade by Edward Cupero
  • The Falls by Rosano Galante (5)
  • Rocky Point Holiday by Ron Nelson (5)

Canyon, China Spring, and North Lamar with two grade 5s and Argyle with Southern Harmony in terms of programming definitely seem like the most difficult, but lots of great music in there.  

Onward Upward March is by Goldman 

On 6/15/2022 at 1:37 PM, Rubisco said:

The region results have been posted. More specifically, the groups that are advancing, not the actual rankings.

https://www.tmea.org/band/honor-band/entry-list/

TMEA used to only take 2 from each region on to area, but they've recently expanded it to 4. What that means is the vast majority of bands that participated this year advanced to area. I haven't counted, but maybe in most regions literally every group that completed their submission advanced. That kind of makes one wonder why we held region contests in the first place, doesn't it? Maybe it would be better if all the bands went straight to area and we took 3 or 4 from each area to state instead of 2, if you want to be more inclusive and make sure that every group that belongs at state makes it there.

This is the first year regions have allowed 4 bands from each region coming off Covid.  I think more bands will enter now that 4 can advance and this format will make more sense.  The only thing I see that is change is an area should send a MINIMUM of 2 bands but more depending on the total entries.