11 hours ago, AWildAltoSax said:

All of the bands this year seem to be putting out great things this year!

Very interested for Rouse, Marcus, Flowermound, Seven Lakes, and especially Cypress Woods.

Same here, Cy Woods seems to have a lot of potential, especially after how well their last season went, their musicianship is fantastic and I think they could really start to step things up as time goes on

On 8/17/2022 at 12:00 PM, Samuel Culper said:

I was at Vista Ridge's preview on Monday.  I came away impressed in a way I do not recall feeling before.

I'll put it this way: My son (who is a band alum) is about as tough a critic on his former bad as you will find.  He said he got goosebumps.

Looking very much forward to hearing them at some point, there’s probably a show announcement with repertoire out there somewhere, and I would love to be more intrigued if I knew that and get even more excited, I just don’t like not knowing any details!😂 I wanna listen to some show rep of every school out there👀

Edit: I’m also a bit of a critic of what my former school puts out a few years removed from graduating, but I’m always optimistic in their opportunities to grow during their season and moving forward as I do know it is summer previews!

I just saw a recording of Cedar Park's Mirror Mirror. 

This is not the Cedar Park of the last few years. The sound is HUGE! It's brassy and mixed with some great front ensemble licks that get mimicked by the woods and brass later. They have not done brass licks like this in the past. Oh my....The director has put his stamp on the new Cedar Park sound I believe. This was the vision he had when I spoke with him about it a few years ago. 

Show design is hard to tell at this point in time and will change. There are some very bold large scale movements early. They have clearly designed this show for BOA contests. 

13 minutes ago, MikeKyu said:

I just saw a recording of Cedar Park's Mirror Mirror. 

This is not the Cedar Park of the last few years. The sound is HUGE! It's brassy and mixed with some great front ensemble licks that get mimicked by the woods and brass later. They have not done brass licks like this in the past. Oh my....The director has put his stamp on the new Cedar Park sound I believe. This was the vision he had when I spoke with him about it a few years ago. 

Show design is hard to tell at this point in time and will change. There are some very bold large scale movements early. They have clearly designed this show for BOA contests. 

Anyway you can link the video? Haven’t had any luck today:(

21 minutes ago, Tubalord11 said:

Anyway you can link the video? Haven’t had any luck today:(

No, sorry. The person who shared with me doesn't want their videos shared out. I wish I could but I need to respect their wishes. I'll be at the Cedar Park vs Vandy game next week and I'll try to get a good video to share. 

Was able to find videos of Regan snd CTJ! Have seen Klein Oka who sounds unbelievably incredible so far and the woodlands who also sound fantastic. Regans show reminds of Regan from last year a lot. Don’t know them theme but they are good just not a super hard show based on what was given. 

CTJ…. Wow oh wow!!! They sound incredible right now! The beginning of the show is so cool with the props and the sound fantastic! Honestly think they can take boa Katy! It’s gonna be one heck of a show and year for them! 

Hendrickson had a video up! Show theme seems a little under powering for a nats show but they sound incredible for this early season! Some low brass stick outs here and there, but the percussion is on fire and once they clean up visually which it’s pretty good rn, they will be fantastic! Definitely could see this making finals at nats! 

On 8/27/2022 at 12:18 AM, slowbrass said:

Unsurprisingly, the level of technique in Hebron's opener (which they performed tonight along with what I assume is a preshow) is extremely high. Hard to tell so early in the season with all the work that lies ahead but they're looking strong.

Is there a video of there opener anywhere?

3 hours ago, josephbandfan said:

Just watched a football livestream video of Vista Ridge vs James Bowie. The audio was pretty bad though.

I went to the game and then saw that video.   Was really good in person but the Video did not capture the sound well at all.   Not a good representation of what I heard live.   Based on the live performance I am very excited for the show this year!

Saw Westwood's opener on Friday. They are father along that I have seen them in years (yes even when my daughter was marching with them.) They are smaller than in years past, and perhaps that has everything to do with the fact that this show is super clean already.  They still have that booming sound. It was so good that the Eastview band staff said, "they are this far, this good, ALREADY?!?!" New drill designer and change to their music makes this show so different than in years past.

Westwood is all grown up. 

14 hours ago, BandFan95 said:

Saw Westwood's opener on Friday. They are father along that I have seen them in years (yes even when my daughter was marching with them.) They are smaller than in years past, and perhaps that has everything to do with the fact that this show is super clean already.  They still have that booming sound. It was so good that the Eastview band staff said, "they are this far, this good, ALREADY?!?!" New drill designer and change to their music makes this show so different than in years past.

Westwood is all grown up. 

Awesome to hear!!! Westwood has always been my sleeper pick!

7 minutes ago, packwick said:

i like CTJ's opener music as well. interesting stuff, kinda like an Asian fusion. for some reason my mind went back to that classic Tae Bo moment in Reagan's 2002 show. hahaha. sounds kinda sorta classic Reagan, doesn't it?

The versions of the Planets we hear in the pre-show kinda remind me of the Isao Tomita renditions done on synth! I wonder if inspiration was taken from there, or if they just went for a space age style sound.