BAC got 2 pointed by Bloo at the premiere, right? they still managed to overtake Bloo, at least for now. i'm not sure it's a forgone conclusion BD wins, but i do recall thinking the 2 point gap at the premiere b/w Bloo and Boston was egregious. i didn't get that feeling w/ BD and the others watching a few days ago. and this is the 2nd panel to give that spread. we'll see. imo Devils have def sucked some of the competitive excitement out of the room.

23 hours ago, packwick said:

lol i still haven't watched the Cadets. been hearing lots of good things. i probably won't watch any of the shows again until after the season is over. i'm really not that invested. kind of wondering why i'm still here, ppl have stopped messaging me for videos. hahaha.

seems like u saw that Bloo design team video and had a similar response to the honesty thing as me. hahaha. i do appreciate their willingness to be weird.

Please don’t go away and please don’t think we no longer want the videos!  😭😭

29 minutes ago, packwick said:

don't worry i'll warn ppl before i take everything down. ideally ppl would already be downloading what they want from the collection onto their own computers or external hard drives.

I guess I need to start downloading then.... I love having that collection. 

2 hours ago, packwick said:

oooo Boston ahead of Crown tonight at San Antonio. what a pleasant surprise!

I was in the Dome for this contest. Boston was clean clean clean tonight. Crown was our favorite show of the night. The fight for the best of the rest is going to be fun to watch as the season winds down. Crown and Crusaders were so close. I haven't looked at the results yet but I'd venture a guess that Boston's guard was the deciding factor. 

13 hours ago, MikeKyu said:

I was in the Dome for this contest. Boston was clean clean clean tonight. Crown was our favorite show of the night. The fight for the best of the rest is going to be fun to watch as the season winds down. Crown and Crusaders were so close. I haven't looked at the results yet but I'd venture a guess that Boston's guard was the deciding factor. 

Correct my friend! That and percussion. Boston won guard and got 2nd in percussion 

finally watched Cadets and Blue Stars.

Cadets definitely did their own spin on the east to west road trip idea. i actually like the narration more than Bloo's. it's at least a little less navel-gazing. (like, dude, ur dreams aren't thaaat interesting.) some really cool drill right off the bat w/ the condensing square with all the members walking around inside of it like a busy downtown street. show draws me in. jazz section goes on too long and isn't interesting visually. designer clearly going for a contemporary look there and not succeeding. not much actual drill there. actually for a road trip show they spend too long in New York, like half the show, then suddenly we're in the west. ballad is immediate goosebumps. very nostalgic. i think everyone has watched To Kill a Mockingbird as a kid. very poignant. ending drill is clever and exciting. i love the angular unwinding curvilinear into the line.

Blue Stars takes a bit longer than Cadets to get good, but it has its moments. the set pieces get moved around a lot to create shapes, which we all like to see. pastel guard gets a little lost upstairs. some iffy brass at times, but overall very solid. ballad is very forgettable. drill is better than i would have expected. not a big Tarpon drill fan, but this is much better. he sure does love his spinning blocks tho doen't he? show has a lot of character at the field level.

i don't like Bloo's current ending. it's too much falling action and denouement for a marching show. i'd rather they keep up the energy and excitement until the end. axe the last narration bit since we already understand the show by then (and bc the "taming the dragon" analogy is cheesy af), and just continue the scorched earth stuff and end with a huge powerful chord that transitions into a loud same-pitched alarm clock bell going off and then a percussive bop as the main character wakes up and hits the alarm. that way you don't lose the excitement you've earned. you don't need to say "and then i woke up" for us to see that. needless exposition.

1 hour ago, packwick said:

i don't like Bloo's current ending. it's too much falling action and denouement for a marching show. i'd rather they keep up the energy and excitement until the end. axe the last narration bit since we already understand the show by then (and bc the "taming the dragon" analogy is cheesy af), and just continue the scorched earth stuff and end with a huge powerful chord that transitions into a loud same-pitched alarm clock bell going off and then a percussive bop as the main character wakes up and hits the alarm. that way you don't lose the excitement you've earned. you don't need to say "and then i woke up" for us to see that. needless exposition.

I actually really like this idea. It might be hard to find just the right sound for that clock alarm, though. :lol:

At the same time, part of the reason the current ending isn't working could simply be because we're used to the old one. It's going to feel very tacked on until we "habituate" to it.

But yes, the audience does seem a little confused by it, as was Dan Potter.

On 7/25/2022 at 8:44 PM, packwick said:

oooo, i also wanted to mention how much i liked it when the narrator in Cadets says "east of my youth, west of my future" and the sound comes out of the right side and then left side. clever little bit of sound design there.

I do not understand why nobody is actually using the instrument (digital mixing boards) to greater effect. I have a degree in classical music performance as well as recording engineering. It baffles me how much of glaring hole in sound design there is, especially considering the amount of micing and amplification that's already on the field. All of these effects can be manually triggered by someone in the front ensemble. 

Oh wow! BLOO put on their best show of the year. Changes to the show really helped out. This is now favorite BLOO show, not even close, but tonight's performance was really an excellent show. There's a lot to like in this show and now it's beginning to come together. 

WOW!!! Some serious jumps in score for both Crown and Boston!!! And y’all, BD didn’t have their usual recap info if you know what I mean… A 3rd and 2nd place in GE( beaten by crown,BC and Boston), 4th in color guard(same groups ahead of them here) and crown took music brass& analysis. Here’s my thinking… BD have peaked early. And yes, the won and all, but 4th in guard…. UNHEARD OF THIS YEAR! I believe they can be beaten!!! 
oh yeah… Boston less than a 10th of a point from 1st. They can do this!!!!!