This has been an excellent finals. I think we a going to see the bottom half stay where they were in semi finals. Phantom's revised closer is so good and I've been high on the Troopers all season.  

The Mandarins are making me a big fan. Not just this show but in the merit of the previous 4 seasons. I love their direction and style as a "high art" drum corps. 

Well, what we thinking? I was in chat on flo and everyone was saying BD and BAC didn’t have good runs, and I kinda agree. BACs guard was just off and BD, well.. it was a good amount, but they will still probably win :( Crown definitely had their best run BY FAR, and everyone also said BC had a better run yesterday. If the judges here and saw it, things may be changing, and it may be some big ones! I think 👑 was back in top 3 and they definitely took brass and honestly their show was by far the most energetic!!! I’m happy with the run, no matter their placement! Was a great night!!! 

DCI World Championship Finals Scores:

1. Blue Devils 98.750 (Brass, Visual, GE)  Title #20 for the Blue Devils and Brass caption #25.
2. Boston Crusaders 97.325 (Guard)
2. Bluecoats 97.325 (Percussion)  
4. Carolina Crown 96.350 
5. Santa Clara Vanguard 95.000 (Jim Jones Award)
6. The Cadets 92.913
7. Blue Stars 92.775
8. Phantom Regiment 90.675
9. The Cavaliers 90.600
10. Mandarins 90.013
11. Colts 87.200
12. Troopers 86.425

oh wow. everyone was FABULOUS. the top 10 all hitting 90 is a first i think. Phantom!!!! way to go! pushing toward the top of the bottom half as i thought! such a classy show with some really hummable tunes and clear drill. was never a big fan of that Cavies show, but it was waaaaay better than last time i saw it. gotta give em some credit for achieving that while overcoming COVID. and Bloo and Boston tying again?! what are the chances of that?! amazing! great comeback by Bloo. finally performed near the level of the design. all time best for Boston. i had a feeling about that one! and then the Devs, just an all around outstanding show. grips me right off the bat with the spooky soundscape and weird foreign voiceovers and the clothes going up into the air, followed by that brief fun cheesy Power Rangers rock, followed immediately by that slowed down, legato heroic brass stuff before the first big hit. they're constantly changing gears and it's so interesting. the visual is so clean and often very beautiful, like that curvaceous follow the leader with the rifles moving through it, just exquisite. super powerful brass sound. full, rich, exciting, emotional. well-deserved win. don't think it's an all-time best show, just a few too many reused Devs tropes for me and doesn't make 100% sense thematically, but still a great show.

• 5 months later...
On 7/8/2022 at 12:48 AM, MadisonBandMan1 said:

I have an odd feeling that there is a Brass instructor who is going to probably have a lot more time on his hands to work with a certain corps during the summer relatively soon (unless he decides to leave the industry in the entirety which could happen) and if he does I see him starting to become a big time mainstay for the program and soon they'll be competing for Ott's right alongside Harloff and Crown year to year.

I think he is cementing himself as one of THE best brass instructors in the country, bar only Harloff. But it depends on if he is losing his love for the activity itself, or his love for teaching where he is during the year. From what I have seen on recent posts with social media and what I know about him personally, I think it is only the latter.

I am being intentionally vague because I don't know for a fact if this guy is leaving his program right now, but it is pretty obvious he is very close to it. One of the premier programs in the country, and unfortunately I think they are about to lose their shining star. Has nothing to do with the students or anything he did, thankfully.

Well, as it turns out, today was this directors’ last day at the program. Knew this day was coming for a long time but it happening is not any less sad. Congrats to him and I wish him good luck on his new adventures. Wonder if he still plans to instruct with his corps over the summer or if his new path will consume more time than I thought when writing this original post and keep him from taking that much time out of his life. I know he will read this at some point, so I want to leave him with this: 

Thank you for making an impact on my life throughout my time in competitive high school band. I have immense respect for you. You taught me a lot in the short yet substantial conversations we had together. You lead by example and have sacrificed so much of yourself over the years for the benefit of the people and children you work with. It will not be forgotten. You are a shining star and a creative (and literal) genius. I know you’ll excel in your next career path. Good luck!