2 hours ago, packwick said:

actually more generally looking at the recap again all the judges whose names i recognize had Cavies 3rd or lower, and all the ones i don't recognize had them 1st. i could be wrong, maybe they'll surge back tomorrow, but that might not be a good sign for the Cavies.

I think you could be correct. That said, The Cavaliers have a pretty ideal performance time later today at Broken Arrow, and that could help them close that gap and make a statement.

The real competition starts today!

Good morning everyone!!! Today Is Broken Arrow!!! It’s gonna be heck of a contest, and am gonna place my predictions, but want to see what y’all have in mind for placement! It’s gonna be amazing!!! 

1st-Carolina Crown 

2nd- BD 

3rd- Boston(yes I know there’s BC but these guys are on fire and I believe they can do it!!!!!) 

4th- Bluecoats 

5th-SCV 

6th-Bluestars 

7th- Cavaliers

8th- Blue knights 

I truly believe crown has the power to win!!! Their brass in unbelievable as always and it’s all starting to come together so nice!!! Only thing is that performance time is kinda ruff but if anyone can do it it’s them!!! And if it’s 2nd and BD in first I’m okay with that bc at San Antonio, the 2 are the last to perform so that will give us a better perspective seeing them back-to-back! 

Well, for those who saw it either live or on flo… thoughts? I still think crown will take it or be second. To me there’s to big things that stand out between them and BD. 

1. I think crowns show overall is much more challenging, at least musically. Visually I’d say BD but not by much, like barley.

2nd. Maybe it’s just me, but there’s a good amount of moments in the BD show where it seems like they are about to be leading up to something big,  and then it just isn’t. Take the beginning for example. They have this super cool opener that keeps building and building… and then we have a slow more beautiful euphonium(I think) solo. Like crowns show just has a lot more satisfying and fulfilling moments then BD, snd I think these 2 key differences will bring them a very small lead over BD. Also crowns brass just brought it 100% tonight!!! Guard was also so much cleaner! I think they got this one, but we’ll see soon! 

Broken Arrow results:

1st:Blue Devils(89.20)

2nd:Carolin Crown(87.50)

3rd:Bluecoats(87.175)

4th: Boston Crusader(86.800)

5th: SCV(85.750) 

6th: Blue Stars(82.60)

7th:Cavaliers(80.60)

8th: Blue Knights(77.750) 

I still firmly believe that if Crown had gone later they would have won. Kind of confused by the recaps especially in GE but I have a feeling San Antonio may be a completely different story but some groups made some serious jumps tonight, going to be a fantastic season regardless of placements! also Crown had some more changes so the fact they went so early and got second it’s pretty impressive!!!  

ok just wrapped up watching the top 4 and checking the scores. had trouble finding SCV.

watched Boston first, and they were overall excellent. love the big bombastic Mozart at the end. good visual clarity. still love the tango section. guard is pretty "tosstastic" to quote Rubi. not great blending of movement w/ equipment skills, but they do what works for upstairs. show still felt like the designers were following rather than leading, like they studied championship shows of the past and cobbled them together. still very enjoyable.

watched Blue Devils next. my how this one has come together. very obviously the best group of the night. by the end i said "at least 2 points higher than Boston." they know that strangeness is the primary characteristic of great art, but they match that strangeness with incredible visual clarity and musical lushness. such wonderful, huge, sonorous sounds. spectacular moments and some thrilling and inventive drill interspersed w/ all the running around. obvious champion. obvious obvious obvious.

Bluecoats were a little frustrating. they have a forward thinking top 2 design, extremely effective, especially visually (such wonderfully layered moments), but the performance really wasn't there tonight. lots of holes didn't help, visual program dirtier than expected. there was just a thinness and lack of control in a lot of the brass playing. music serves us a mood, which is innovative, but maybe not extremely exciting. they do their own thing, as always.

Crown's QR code thing isn't entirely original, see Stoneman Douglas from WGI this year, but it's interesting. the show is still pretty original for DCI in its direct 4th wall breaking, if a 4th wall even really exists in drum corps. musically they are so fabulous, but the visual program is dated and cluttered. so much of it just looks slapdash, somehow even moreso than all the running around. but then those musical moments are amazing. audience absolutely loves this one though. could help them. as could a better performance time.

after watching those 4, i thought BD very comfortably 1st, and the rest  close to each other and not sure where to place them. couldn't really decide bc they all have strengths and weaknesses.

Yes, I would agree that the Devils were a very clear first place tonight, even with a somewhat weaker than usual guard performance.

Regarding the Devils' effect, which still seems to baffle people: It's that combination of those little intellectual moments that make you tilt your head to the side and say, "Oh, that's interesting, that's different," with those bigger and more important explosive moments that reach you emotionally. It's the variety of the effects, the dynamic range, the continuity, which is much better than it was just a few weeks ago. For the visual, it's the perfect balance of the mise en scene, to rip that term off of you again, Patrick -- knowing how to stage everything (the marchers and the set pieces and the guard, and even the colors) on the field for maximum elegance and clarity and thus effect, to achieve that hang-on-the-wall, picture-perfect look as much as possible, while still giving us musicality and layers and texture and intricacy with all the movement we see. And yes, it's also the cleanliness of the performance.

It's really hard to explain effect to people. Ultimately, it's guided subjectivity. You need to have many years of experience watching a lot of shows to know what's fresh, and you also need to be familiar with the score sheets and have put in the effort over the years to discern for yourself why corps or band or guard X keeps scoring above corps or band or guard Y.

Now I'm falling down the YouTube rabbit hole.

I love the strangeness comment, too. I feel like I've said that before. It's why we can read a poem by Emily Dickinson, for example, and it doesn't feel stale.

A small handful of marching arts designers achieve it a lot. Scott Chandler, who designs for the Blue Devils and designed for and directed the James Logan winter guard, has probably achieved it more than anyone. That's a testament to his experience, but maybe even more to his natural ability -- his imagination, his intelligence. He is also able to bring out the most incredible energy and theatricality from the performers.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=34ZBJJFK2hc

10 hours ago, BandFan95 said:

Did Boston have a bad run?

Boston and Carolina Crown both gave outstanding performances relative to what I've seen from them the past few weeks. Bluecoats and Blue Devils both seemed a little bit off of their game, especially Bloo, but they were still excellent.

17 hours ago, packwick said:

lol yaaaaassss! the GOAT returns! 

actually the nearly 20 year old equipment vocab might not be enough to win today, but everything else is :wub:

The Loganation one from the year prior is fantastic as well. It's one of those shows that left me scratching my head trying to figure out what inspired it. Like, did some kid wearing headphones cluelessly step out in front of Scott's car as he was driving? It's just very different, and very fun and high energy. :lol:

Boston overtook Bluecoats tonight. no surprise. show was setting off my "potential medalist! potential medalist!" alarms even at that standstill, and for whatever reason i'm always right about this crap. we'll see if they're able to maintain it.

Bloo's score looks as expected. 1st place visual leaning effect and visual analysis on the strength of composition, but 4th in every music caption. deeeefffinitely not the best sounding Bloo i've heard. some, actually a lot, of that is the music selections/arranging. i don't think i would have ever picked this music for a marching show, and while it works better than i would have expected, it doesn't fully work. juuust kinda..... too simple sounding, even with the rhythmic demands. def. has some cool parts tho.

8 minutes ago, packwick said:

Boston overtook Bluecoats tonight. no surprise. show was setting off my "potential medalist! potential medalist!" alarms even at that standstill, and for whatever reason i'm always right about this crap. we'll see if they're able to maintain it.

Bloo's score looks as expected. 1st place visual leaning effect and visual analysis on the strength of composition, but 4th in every music caption. deeeefffinitely not the best sounding Bloo i've heard. some, actually a lot, of that is the music selections/arranging. i don't think i would have ever picked this music for a marching show, and while it works better than i would have expected, it doesn't fully work. juuust kinda..... too simple sounding, even with the rhythmic demands. def. has some cool parts tho.

Yeah have to agree with you!!! Boston is just getting better and better and some seriously has medalist potential!!! Also feel the same about Blues music, it’s cool snd sounds good… but it’s not really difficult, and while they’re show visually is clean and hard, the music side… not so much. Big thing for crown is their percussion. Idk why it keeps getting ranked around 5th? Like it sound clean but I need someone who’s an expert to explain what they think. But anyways great comp all around! 

i also don't get why DCI merged the two separate effect scores into the same sheet. even w/ the change the judges still seem to be coming to the divergent opinions they would have if it were still separately visual GE and music GE. like clearly they're leaning into what side they know.

13 hours ago, packwick said:

show was setting off my "potential medalist! potential medalist!" alarms even at that standstill, and for whatever reason i'm always right about this crap.

Ha. All those years of hoarding band videos is paying off.

Boston is on the up and up, at the somewhat predictable expense of the Bluecoats. As you said, Boston is pretty all-around excellent this year, even if the production is only inspired in parts. Thank goodness they didn't go that awful, Tarpon Springs route of having massive TVs all over the field again. Sometimes less is more, something some designers unfortunately never learn.

I just watched Bloo's performance on YouTube, and as inspired as I think the show still is, most of the issues I had with it haven't been fixed. They're mostly musical issues, as others (and the judges) have pointed out. Also, the new extended ending feels like they don't know how to end the show. Now that I think of it, I feel like the last Bloo ending I really loved was Tilt's.

Bloo definitely has their work cut out for them if they want to medal, I think, especially now that Santa Clara Vanguard is gaining on them via music. Less than a month remains to clean the show up. They could drop in placement even further, something their staff claims to not really care about, although I'm not fully convinced of that. I feel like that staff has created a little bit of a false dilemma between "honesty" (as they somewhat defensively call it) and appealing to the judges. It's possible to do these true-to-you, strange, original, and artful shows, while still giving us the core nuts and bolts of an effective program. The Devils do it every year.

How about the Cadets making a comeback? Probably on track for 6th, unless the Blue Stars take them out. Good for them. I absolutely love their show. It's all very cozy and nostalgic and heartwarming. That ballad might be my favorite of the year, if it weren't for the Blue Devils. If the Cadets' show were cleaner, we'd be talking about it as a medal contender. It has some absolutely fabulous drill writing. Like real, honest drill-drill, for the most part, not the lazy stuff.

lol i still haven't watched the Cadets. been hearing lots of good things. i probably won't watch any of the shows again until after the season is over. i'm really not that invested. kind of wondering why i'm still here, ppl have stopped messaging me for videos. hahaha.

seems like u saw that Bloo design team video and had a similar response to the honesty thing as me. hahaha. i do appreciate their willingness to be weird.

Well, if there was any doubt left, the Blue Devils just removed it. 1st place from all eight judges tonight at DCI Houston, over Carolina Crown and the Bluecoats. Score gap remained around the same as a couple nights ago. Nearly 2 points.

Cadets in 4th just barely over Blue Stars. Some very interesting scores in that grouping. That's all I'll say about that!