On 7/3/2022 at 9:02 PM, Rubisco said:

Bloo is mostly laying down a cool vibe when their competitors, like Crown, are laying down explosives. One is intellectually exciting, the other is very visceral. General effect, at its core, is mostly visceral.

the perfect précis, my dear. kind of similar to what Lee Carlson said about effect in an interview w/ Dan Potter.

speaking of, do u know what the DCI artistic director does? i still don't fully get it. i know Michael Cesario used to do it. i typed in his name and got this childish Google group thread from 2001 where they're all like, "What does he even do anyway?!" and then somebody randomly interjects something like, "Can we talk about all of these creepy homosexuals invading our activity, especially guard, and how we all have to pretend to be okay with it?" followed by "We don't really know if he's g@y!" it was awful, but it also made me laugh really hard. of course the gays love this stuff! it's music and pageantry! at the very least 20th century American art and poetry and music is like a Who's Who of g@y America.

speaking of Michael C, i remember doing the clinics with him at LSP and being a judge runner for him and whomever else. i was in this featured small ensemble and he comes rushing down from the stands during rehearsal, extremely animated, somewhat intense, and flamboyant, wearing a bandana, and he proceeds to pose each of us to make us look more fabulous upstairs. i was an anxious freshman closetcase thinking, "God is this gonna be what i'm like when i grow up?" hahaha.

edit - apparently there's a Don't Say G@y law on this board. hahahaha. ah, feels like the early 2000s all over again.

Honestly, you probably know as much as I do about the artistic director position. I don't have any insights that aren't in that interview.

53 minutes ago, packwick said:

of course the gays love this stuff! it's music and pageantry!

:lol::lol::lol: 

"It's like throwing a picnic by the beach and getting pissed when the seagulls arrive."

so whaduwee think about that 78+ Boston just got popped? i feel like those judges were experienced enough to know what message they were sending. like, we all know that they pay attention to the other scores and watch videos on YouTube. u ain't foolin' anyone, gals!

tho there is that distinct possibility that that panel would score EVERYONE higher. it would be pretty surprising to see Boston come back from being 2 pointed by Bloo, but who knows.

Personally, I would hold off on making any predictions based on that score for Boston, but it is quite interesting. You're correct to point out that scores in DCI don't exactly exist in a vacuum. They're more regulated than BOA scores, for example, because they do factor into things like corps performance order, like in WGI. But you also need to see the various corps live in the same venue to pass good judgment.

I'm interested to see if the Bluecoats' score jumps up significantly tonight. Also, whether Boston maintains their upward trajectory.

I have an odd feeling that there is a Brass instructor who is going to probably have a lot more time on his hands to work with a certain corps during the summer relatively soon (unless he decides to leave the industry in the entirety which could happen) and if he does I see him starting to become a big time mainstay for the program and soon they'll be competing for Ott's right alongside Harloff and Crown year to year.

I think he is cementing himself as one of THE best brass instructors in the country, bar only Harloff. But it depends on if he is losing his love for the activity itself, or his love for teaching where he is during the year. From what I have seen on recent posts with social media and what I know about him personally, I think it is only the latter.

I am being intentionally vague because I don't know for a fact if this guy is leaving his program right now, but it is pretty obvious he is very close to it. One of the premier programs in the country, and unfortunately I think they are about to lose their shining star. Has nothing to do with the students or anything he did, thankfully.

gotta do what makes u happy. and maybe what makes u wealthier, too. no need to feel guilty about it. sometimes u need to think about yourself for once.

COVID must have been a real eye opener for teachers. especially in Texas, where they're mostly treated like crap.

CrownBEAT results: 

5th-Music City: 68.350

4th- Crossmen 73.2

3rd- Cadets 76.9

2nd- Boston: 80.850

1st- Carolina Crown: 81.850

5 minutes ago, Dave609 said:

I'm Back!

Also Carolina Crown and Blue Devils are the first 2 Drums Corps to break into the 80's scores!!!

Don’t forget Boston! Didn’t know BD competed tonight 

Results-

World Class-

1st: The Bluecoats- 80.45
2nd: Blue Stars- 75.75
3rd: Phantom Regiment- 73.60
4th: Colts- 70.05
5th: Madison Scouts- 68.75

Exh: The Cavaliers

Open Class-

1st: River City Rhythm 57.95
2nd: Colt Cadets- 55.80

Bluecoats are the third group to hit the 80's!

Nola had Vanguard 6 points lower than the Devs in music analysis. long-time judge. frequently judges major finals events. Vanguard will see her again.

that's a huge gap in that caption. overall i'm gonna guess that the newly added ending isn't saving the show like it needs to, tho i haven't watched it since the 1st contest. could be a fluke, but my first impressions are usually spot on. Vanguard prooobably had my least favorite show of the likely top 5, still a good show tho. still haven't watched Cadets and a few of the others.

Phantom Regiment is less than 4 points away from getting into the 80's!

Results from The Thunder of Drums-

World Class-

1st- Phantom Regiment- 76.45

2nd- Colts- 71.85

3rd- Madison Scouts- 69.05

Open Class-

1st- River City Rhythm- 59.10

2nd- Colt Cadets- 57.60