3 minutes ago, Tubalord11 said:

Wait what about the cadets? Are they not competing this year? Feels like a small list this year but makes sense since it’s first year back to a competitive season 

They are on there, they are with Jersey Surf, the only World Class Drum Corps not competing this year are Spirit of Atlanta and Seattle Cascades

i like Crown. they sound amazing, very full-bodied and well-blended, with excellent technical accuracy. still feel like the show is kinda... BOA circa 2000 with all the fabric and streamer flags. i'm like, "we did that!" hahaha. gettin' major Flanagan snake skin vibes when they wrap themselves up in the fabric. kinda sloppy looking tho. some really powerful moments. i give em props for trying something new, i usually find their shows too old-fashioned. QR code stuff is still really try-hard tho. "clap your hands! please love us!!!" let your show speak for itself!

Bloo has the more interesting program overall, but i feel like Crown obviously sounds better. wonder who comes out on top tonight.

hmmm, gonna guess that Crown took GE tonight on the strength of those big exciting moments that Bloo sorta lacks. still think Bloo's show is much more interesting overall tho. like, something actually different.

no show screams champion to me like BA's did at the start of the band season tho. like i don't even wanna know how much higher that show would have scored if they had performed last in finals and didn't have 4 bands after them. like sheesh. perfect GE score probably.

I had planned to watch DCI East Coast Classic, but it had two weather delays and so I chose to watch Drums on Parade instead

Here were my thoughts from DCI Drums on Parade-

World Class Corps-

These are ranked based on how I felt about the show

The Cavaliers- WHAT A PERFORMANCE! They keep getting better and better through each performance! Really enjoyed this performance and still love that drum break section! Overall, much improvement from their Detroit performance and an even better performance than yesterday! Also they have finally moved higher than Blue Stars in my personal ranks :)

Madison Scouts- AWESOME! That was an amazing opener from Madison Scouts! Really like the music, especially the ballad! Also really great job to them on balancing every instrument, so no one instrument was over powering. Also really liked the Guitar and bass scores, really great to listen to! Overall, a great performance, and I could see this show in the Top 12 if they keep giving out performances like these! 

Blue Stars- AMAZING! Every time I watch this show, it just gets better! I really am enjoying it and can't wait to see more performances! Overall, another great performance from the Blue Stars!

4th- Colts- Once again, Amazing performance! I really thought they would place higher last night over Crossman, but overall, I can see this show making it into Final 12 if they keep up with these performances, and fix what they need to! Overall, I really enjoyed the performance!

- Not Counted in Ranks-

Phantom Regiment- Amazing musical performance! Unfortunate they couldn't do their full show marching, but still amazing performance in a Stand-Still!

Open Class Corps-

These are ranked based on how I felt about the show-

1st- River City Rhythm- Great Performance! Great music, loved the opener, and I really liked the show overall! I can see this group making it into the Top 7 at Open Class Championships!

2nd- Colt Cadets- Nice Performance! I really enjoyed the music and the visual package was really decent! I can see this group in the final 12 in Open Class! Overall, nice performance and can't wait to see more from this Drum corps during the season!

All Age Class-

These are ranked based on how I felt about the show-

1st- Sound of Sun Prairie- I missed the opener, but from what I did get to hear and watch, they did really decent! There were some musical moments that need to be worked on and visual's need some work to, but overall, nice job!

2nd- Green Beret Marching Band- Decent performance! Lots of work to do on the show, but overall, I enjoyed it!

Here are the performances I was able to catch from DCI East Coast (I am not placing since I didn't get to watch all the performances-

World Class (I Went Back and Watched The Cadets)

The Cadets- LOVED THE PERFORMANCE! That was a really good way to start their season, and I think they will keep getting better each time! I really enjoyed the Jazz feature, which is something very unique for this year out of all the shows that are out on the field! Really epic performance by the percussion, definitely one of the top groups this year! Overall, I really liked the show and can't wait to see how well The Cadets do this season!

Jersey Surf- Loved the Show! Interesting seeing percussion as the main part of the opener, something that isn't seen much in other shows, so Jersey Surf adding something new to the table, which I like! This show seems like it will be a fun show and I hope that it makes the Top 15! I also enjoyed the tuba's score, they sounded really good! Overall, I really enjoyed this performance, and I could see this show being one of the fan favorites this year! Also forgot to mention, I really like the props! Gives me a Leander 2021 show vibe

Open Class-

Spartans- WOW! That was one great performance! Loved the music, and that Opener was something! Visually, there are some moments that need fixing, but overall, they did very well! I also have to say that the color guard member that dropped their rifle, that was a great recovery! I can see this show making Top 3, or even winning the Open Class Championships AGAIN if they keep performing well! Overall I really enjoyed the performance!

4 minutes ago, packwick said:

looks like Boston is startin' to climb. top groups are tight right now. Boston is hungry for a medal.

so true, as of right now, the top 3 are Carolina Crown, Blue Devils, and The Bluecoats, with Boston in 4th. After Drums in the Desert, we will get to see who is going to be the main 3! I have to wait until tomorrow to post the current standings since I will be asleep by the time scores get announced.

The difference between the Bluecoats and Carolina Crown was less than half a point. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like we'll get another matchup of those two until all the corps reach Oklahoma. If the Bluecoats still can't top Crown by then, and the gap widens, that might be a sign they're heading for that 3-5 range at finals in August. I have a mixed view of the show's potential. I find it very fascinating and progressive, but Bloo is mostly laying down a cool vibe when their competitors, like Crown, are laying down explosives. One is intellectually exciting, the other is very visceral. General effect, at its core, is mostly visceral. It's not really the same thing as formal art criticism.

9 minutes ago, Rubisco said:

The difference between the Bluecoats and Carolina Crown was less than half a point. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like we'll get another matchup of those two until all the corps reach Oklahoma. If the Bluecoats still can't top Crown by then, and the gap widens, that might be a sign they're heading for that 3-5 range at finals in August. I have a mixed view of the show's potential. I find it very fascinating and progressive, but Bloo is mostly laying down a cool vibe when their competitors, like Crown, are laying down explosives. One is intellectually exciting, the other is very visceral. General effect, at its core, is mostly visceral. It's not really the same thing as formal art criticism.

So I feel that it will be a Carolina Crown VS Bluecoats year, but I also feel that Boston is going to crash the party in some form, either getting into the Top 5, or knocking out Santa Clara Vanguard, Carolina Crown, or Bluecoats from the Top 3

Alright so here are the official scores after this weekend!-

Blue Devils- 75.45
Boston Crusaders- 74.75
Carolina Crown- 74.40
Santa Clara Vanguard- 74.05
Bluecoats- 73.95
The Cavaliers- 73.40
Blue Stars- 72.15
The Cadets- 71.35
Crossmen- 68.25
Phantom Regiment- 67.75
Mandarins- 67.65
Blue Knights- 66.70
Colts- 65.40 (Went down from a 65.85)
Madison Scouts- 65.00
Music City- 64.15
The Academy- 63.50 (Went down from 63.65)
Pacific Crest- 59.90
Jersey Surf- 59.10

Really interesting placements to end off and these scores are very close as of now! Blue Devils end the week with the 1st place spot with a score of 75.45. The big placement to end the week is Boston Crusaders who have taken the 2nd place spot with a score of 74.75, just .35 ahead of Carolina Crown who will not be seen until July 9th at CrownBEAT. Santa Clara Vanguard take the 4th place spot with a 74.05 and to finish out the top 5, we have The Bluecoats with a 73.95. The next DCI event will be the MidCal Showcase on July 5th! Congrats to an amazing week to all these programs and can't wait to see what they have in store next week!

If we were wondering who is in the Top 12 currently (In Order)-

Blue Devils

Boston Crusaders

Carolina Crown

Santa Clara Vanguard

Bluecoats

The Cavaliers

Blue Stars

The Cadets

Crossmen

Phantom Regiment

Mandarins

Blue Nights

Eat'em up Boston!

Me and my Aggie daughter have been BAC fans for the past 5 years. We got our tickets to see the corps in San Antonio later this month. 

We went and saw the premiere at the movie theater in Pflugerville this week. While in the bathroom, what appeared to be other Boston fans struck up a conversation with us. Turns out that they are the mom and sister of one of the drum majors for BAC, who also happens to be from Pflugerville and a Fightin' Texas Aggie like my daughter. 

Our little band family is small, and I'm so glad that we all get to be a part of it. 

On 6/25/2022 at 4:43 AM, packwick said:

lots of good things happening w/ SCV, but as i was watching, i was thinking a 68 or a 69, if 70-72 is future champion. they could still win for sure, i'm not blown away by any corps yet, but there's something just generic and bland enough about this *modern* design that i'm not convinced. i like how the corps moves. the opening is almost sensual. brass is good.

oh what a serendipitous misspelling! you've given me yet another scathingly brilliant marching show idea. i call it Babe-a-lon, an ode to sexy pin-up calendar models, both male and female. the field will be like a page you're eagerly waiting to turn. i'll do it right after my Showgirls show. i'll do the drill for that one myself so that i can save up the money i'll need to purchase the stripper poles to recreate the Cheetah on the field.

You’re a hoot!!! 🤣🤣🤣

Two weeks from today I’ll be at Broken Arrow HS for DCI!!  I can’t wait to see Bluecoats and Carolina Crown battling it out with Boston and BD, the Cavaliers and SCV. And let’s not forget Blue Knights and Blue Stars!  What a lineup!!!

Now to just kick this dang Covid so I’m back to 100% by then!!

2 hours ago, LeanderMomma said:

Two weeks from today I’ll be at Broken Arrow HS for DCI!!  I can’t wait to see Bluecoats and Carolina Crown battling it out with Boston and BD, the Cavaliers and SCV. And let’s not forget Blue Knights and Blue Stars!  What a lineup!!!

Now to just kick this dang Covid so I’m back to 100% by then!!

Get better soon!!!