Okay, I've watched some videos. I don't really have much to add. I'm largely in agreement with the comments here.

Unless Carolina Crown has something to say about it or SCV's closer is amazing and brings some much needed personality and color, I'm leaning toward yet another Battle of the Blues at the top this year.

The Bluecoats' show is a real original and is the design standout this year. I will say that their brass does sound a tad thin and top-heavy at times, especially when compared to the Devils, who are already giving a pretty excellent performance with a really robust ensemble sound. (That Moon River climax is splendid.) Some soprano stick outs in Bloo as well and difficulty sustaining notes calmly. The corps seems to be in near-constant motion, musically and visually, with simultaneous staging events galore, but as impressive as that is, as others have pointed out, sometimes the big moments can get a little swept away. (With that, the TWHS 2019 comparison is appropriate in more ways than one.) The very opening musical statement is a decent example. Very buoyant, but maybe not brash enough and kind of, sort of stand-tune-ish. To be sure, Bloo does have outstanding moments. The ecstatic keytar climax for one. And despite its brief length, the ballad made an impact, with that swell of emotion when the narrator has his revelation, realizing his personal ownership in turning his life around as he drives to the edge of some sort of mental cliff, although the visual moment there is diminished by the similar appearance of the corps and the guard. Overall, a very impressive show indeed, but with room for growth.

The Blue Devils are treading water a bit with their show design, and yes, there are flow issues, but the moments are certainly there. They've got a team that knows how to check all the boxes by the end of the season.

agreed. the only thing that turns me off a little is the "check all the boxes" thing about the Devils bc it seems like it could lead to the trap of thinking that the evaluation criteria on the judges' sheets are somehow significantly different from the criteria of a seasoned or even sometimes a casual observer of band/corps. like, who doesn't want a show that has variety, is emotionally impactful, flows wells, is well-performed, etcetera? ppl like to say show X was entertaining while show Y is the judge favorite, but literally the BOA effect sheets, for example, used to say "your job as an effect judge is to let yourself be entertained." so it's not that show Y isn't as entertaining; it's just not as entertaining to that particular person, who may be inexperienced.

On 6/30/2022 at 12:13 AM, packwick said:

agreed. the only thing that turns me off a little is the "check all the boxes" thing about the Devils bc it seems like it could lead to the trap of thinking that the evaluation criteria on the judges' sheets are somehow significantly different from the criteria of a seasoned or even sometimes a casual observer of band/corps.

You're right. I could have just as easily said that the Devils know how to design a good show. By the way, that BOA effect statement is still in the adjudication handbook after all these years.

Crown competes in their first contest tonight!

1 hour ago, Rubisco said:

You're right. I could have just as easily said that the Devils know how to design a good show. By the way, that BOA effect statement is still in the adjudication handbook after all these years.

Crown competes in their first contest tonight!

which show is Carolina competing in?

Holy crap Bluestars!!! That was just amazing!!! I missed most of this the other day and I’m soooo excited to see this live soon!!! This show is just incredible! Also, I may be wrong, but I am a bit listen to classical music, and had a movie music phase, and it was mostly Star Wars. So bc of this, I easily recognize the music, and I’m pretty sure their ballad is from Rogue One! May be wrong but I’m gonna try and find the song and will link it. 

Alright, so here are my thoughts from DCI Central Indiana (I have to say, this placement was more difficult for me XD):

I have placed the Drum Corps in order of how much I enjoyed the show, and what placement I would have given them-

1st- Carolina Crown- YES CROWN YES!!!! That was the best opening performance I have ever seen! That show is one of, if not the BEST SHOW this year! They are in continence to win the Gold this year!!! That show is everything you could ask for, visually appealing, amazing music, and amazing crowd interaction! Overall, that show is my FAVORITE show this year and I am happy to say that this show is the number 1 show from this event! Overall, I enjoyed the show and can't wait to see how they do!!!

2nd- Blue Stars- AMAZING PERFORMANCE! I still enjoy this show more than Regiment's and Cavaliers show's, but this is in my personal opinion. I know that Regiment and The Cavaliers are placing higher than Blue Stars, but I still enjoyed that show! The sets looked a lot cleaner than Detroit and that instrumental balancing also sounded much better! I also enjoyed that closer very much! Overall, I really enjoyed the show!

3rd- The Cavaliers- WOW, that was much improvement from Detroit! That was much cleaner visually, and musically sounded much better! The force that they gave was really good and showed that they are a force to wrecken with! Amazing drum break, and was more noticeable as a 2002 throwback! The closer was better and made it much cleaner overall!. Furthermore, I really liked their performance this time and this show is starting to grow on me!

4th- Phantom Regiment- HOLY!!!! That was one heck of a performance! I must say, that was much better imo then their performance in Detroit. I still love that Opener, but that Ballad was so much better then I remember! That Trombone solo sounded much better as well, so I must say this show is starting to grow on me. Overall, I really enjoyed the show!

5th- Colts- All I can say is AMAZING! That show was musically engaging and was really fun to listen to! The visual's were almost there, and I could see them making it into the Final 12 if they fix what they need to. I also really liked that Opener, the force that was given has made that opener one of my favorites! I also really liked the Tuba solo!. Overall, Loved the show!

6th- Crossman- Alright, wasn't expecting the Opener set change, but I liked it! Still sounds well musically, but the visual's are still an issue, I would like to see them in the Top 12 still, but after watching the Colts, I think that they will have the challenge and have one heck of a battle in the end. Overall, really enjoyed watching the show again!

Cavies is definitely growing on me too. They brought so much infectious energy. Oddly enough, I felt like the closer was the most tame part of the show, I was expecting something crazier. Though, they’ll of course bring the energy through to the end of the show as they build stamina through the season. 

5 minutes ago, Origin said:

Cavies is definitely growing on me too. They brought so much infectious energy. Oddly enough, I felt like the closer was the most tame part of the show, I was expecting something crazier. Though, they’ll of course bring the energy through to the end of the show as they build stamina through the season. 

Yeah their run this time was much better than Detroit!

Alright so here are the current scores (In Order)- 

Blue Devils- 73.50
Carolina Crown- 73.45 (This Was Their OPENING Score)*
Santa Clara Vanguard- 71.850
Bluecoats- 71.70
The Cavaliers- 70.20
Boston Crusaders- 69.45
Phantom Regiment- 67.75
Mandarins- 67.65
Bluestars- 67.40
The Academy- 63.650
Crossman- 63.15
Colts- 62.35
Pacific Crest- 58.25

Tomorrow we will be seeing these World Class Drum Corps make their competition Debut-

Blue Knights- Drums Across the Desert

Madison Scouts- Drums on Parade

Jersey Surf and The Cadets- East Coast Classic

Music City- Innovations in Brass- Northeast Ohio

The Final Two World Class Corps that will not be seen for a bit-

Troopers- Make Competition Debut on July 8 at Drums of Fire

Genesis- Make Competition Debut on July 16 at Drums Along the Rockies

Unfortunately, we will not be seeing Spirit of Atlanta or Seattle Cascades compete, so that makes 20 of the 22 World Class Drum Corps competing this year

2 minutes ago, Dave609 said:

Alright so here are the current scores (In Order)- 

Blue Devils- 73.50
Carolina Crown- 73.45 (This Was Their OPENING Score)*
Santa Clara Vanguard- 71.850
Bluecoats- 71.70
The Cavaliers- 70.20
Boston Crusaders- 69.45
Phantom Regiment- 67.75
Mandarins- 67.65
Bluestars- 67.40
The Academy- 63.650
Crossman- 63.15
Colts- 62.35
Pacific Crest- 58.25

Tomorrow we will be seeing these World Class Drum Corps make their competition Debut-

Blue Knights- Drums Across the Desert

Madison Scouts- Drums on Parade

Jersey Surf and The Cadets- East Coast Classic

Music City- Innovations in Brass- Northeast Ohio

The Finals Two World Class Corps that will not be seen for a bit-

Troopers- Make Competition Debut on July 8 at Drums of Fire

Genesis- Make Competition Debut on July 16 at Drums Along the Rockies

Wait what about the cadets? Are they not competing this year? Feels like a small list this year but makes sense since it’s first year back to a competitive season