58 minutes ago, Tubalord11 said:

Okay thanks for letting me know I’m completely new to DCI comps. I’ve seen ton of shows on YouTube before and know about how  placements and all that works and whose god tier, good and okay but last night was my first time watching a contest and while some scores I understand, I think being a big BOA nerd, that score seemed low but I’m excited to see how tonight shapes out. And I do understand there’s a big difference between high school bands and dci and the scoring is different. 

No worries. My younger brother marched 2017-2019, so I was pretty glued to scores basically every single night. Also remember that there are a lot more contests in DCI than high school, so there's still a long way for these scores to go up over the course of the season (and the scoring "formula" is different in DCI vs. BOA as well).

No real thoughts from me tonight. It's been a long day, and it's tough making it through the west coast shows. Still a lot of much improved performances compared to last night. Excited to see these shows evolve over the season. So ready for the east coast and midwest circuits to start next week.

I will say that I do appreciate the shot of the sunset and San Gabriel mountains we got (basically a requirement for any competition/game held at the Rose Bowl). Oh and inset obligatory joke about how tonight's attendance will surpass the attendance of a UCLA football game here.

my thoughts tonight were BD in first with a score approaching 72 and SCV just over 70. actual scores were about half a point higher than i would have had them, but spreads are accurate.

BD's show has character and big MOMENTS and lush and powerful brass playing. still doesn't make sense and has flow issues, but when placed beside SCV, the bland parts of the latter come into focus. adding a closer will probably help.

2 minutes ago, J-Mike16 said:

I'm probably going to be the only one who thinks this, but I could see Phantom winning the brass caption. the music book in their show is insane.

No I definitely agree! Their standstill performance seemed unreal for this early in the season! I’m beyond excited to get to see them, crown and SCV go head to head and McKinney! 

1 minute ago, Tubalord11 said:

No I definitely agree! Their standstill performance seemed unreal for this early in the season! I’m beyond excited to get to see them, crown and SCV go head to head and McKinney! 

Seeing everyone rank them in the bottom half, even as low as 11th or 12th is just crazy. I really truly believe Phantom is back to its glory days. I've heard their drill is amazing. 

Hmmm I'm not sure yet about them winning brass caption. I love their music and especially their sound (PR and Crown have my favorite corp sound in general) but I'm still wondering what the ceiling is for their book. But I do think they'll place at least top 7.

Crown has so many impressive moments in their show that it's hard for me to not lean towards them.

6 minutes ago, josephbandfan said:

Hmmm I'm not sure yet about them winning brass caption. I love their music and especially their sound (PR and Crown have my favorite corp sound in general) but I'm still wondering what the ceiling is for their book. But I do think they'll place at least top 7.

Crown has so many impressive moments in their show that it's hard for me to not lean towards them.

Crown is still amazing and WILL be competing for the brass caption. Crown and Phantom are the ones I'm watching this season, with as well as The Troopers.

favorites, too early to know. i probably won't be on here to the end of the season. i was supposed to share videos and leave, but ended up reliving my childhood BOA forum troll days.

lookin' forward to seeing that Boston music on the field. no TVs this time hopefully.

Bluecoats fielded a show last year. i thought it was pretty obviously the most effective one despite being a rehash. they'd be my guess heading into this season. their set designs the past few years have been second to none. immediately appealing.

2 hours ago, packwick said:

favorites, too early to know. i probably won't be on here to the end of the season. i was supposed to share videos and leave, but ended up reliving my childhood BOA forum troll days.

lookin' forward to seeing that Boston music on the field. no TVs this time hopefully.

Bluecoats fielded a show last year. i thought it was pretty obviously the most effective one despite being a rehash. they'd be my guess heading into this season. their set designs the past few years have been second to none. immediately appealing.

Btw on those videos, are you the one who updates them?

6 hours ago, J-Mike16 said:

Btw on those videos, are you the one who updates them?

u mean the old pro quality marching band videos people put on YouTube? i don't upload them, but some of them probably originate from my collection, based on resolutions, occasional frame rate issues, which angles the posters seem to have, etcetera.

i'll watch Phantom in a bit. i saw Crown just now. great playing. i love all the joyously triumphant parts. visual program reminds me of a late 90s/early 00s Plymouth-Canton program. probably b/c of all the fabric and ribbons and ribbon flags. not necessarily a bad thing.

the attempts at audience interaction are too cloying for my tastes. they might as well be YouTubers asking me to "Like and Subscribe! xoxoxo".

20 minutes ago, BaritoneBallah said:

Y'all, I am so excited for for the tour premiere!! so excited in fact I wanna drop some hot takes so here they are..

- Crossmen top 10

-Carolina Crown win

-Blue devils below 2nd in a round

- The Academy or Troopers makes finals 

It is long overdue for Carolina Crown to finally win again. But I feel that Blue Devils may win this year, unless Bluecoats take the lead tonight after the premiere. But I definitely would love to see Crown take it

5 hours ago, BaritoneBallah said:

Y'all, I am so excited for for the tour premiere!! so excited in fact I wanna drop some hot takes so here they are..

- Crossmen top 10

-Carolina Crown win

-Blue devils below 2nd in a round

- The Academy or Troopers makes finals 

I definitely could see Crown winning! I personally think they are a good amount ahead of BD rn. I personally think BDs show is just confusing and not super effective. Honestly like Phantom snd SCV more than BD rn, but cant wait for tonight to see how Bluecoats turn out!