On 6/3/2022 at 2:11 AM, MadisonBandMan1 said:

I just saw crown....my oh my are they on fire. There is a clip of them online, not hard to find and not on the tube. They are TOTALLY doing chandelier justice. Can't wait to see how this changes and is cleaned up as the season goes on. Excited for all of the others as well. 

Could you by chance drop the link? I’ve been looking for it and can’t it find lol 

• 2 weeks later...

i was bored and YouTubed Blue Devils just now and watched a couple different angles of their community performance. usually a big fan despite the pretentiousness. i would have no idea what this show is about just looking at it and listening to it. yeah, some cool and impressive moments for sure, but overall it's very scatterbrained and incoherent right now, like a freewheeling drunk. i hope they fix that and pull it all together. performance polish will help.

knowing that the title is Tempus Blue, i was wondering if it's supposed to be an homage to their previous shows. weird and kind of try-hard foreign vocal clips like the Dada show, stairs like the 2017 show, that big single file that rotates near the end like in Felliniesque. i don't know, i'm just trying to figure it out. cool moments, but what do they add up to?

i wish all corps and bands would stop over relying on fluttering and scatterforms. it's lazy looking. like how many thousands of dollars are u getting paid to write this crap drill? my mom would write better drill, and she's more of an "I like the color and design of the flags and when they play loud" kind of DCI fan. honestly she'd make a great effect judge.

3 minutes ago, certified-reed-eater said:

sometimes it feels like the whole visual package relies more on the props, flags, and uniforms for powerful effect and showcasing of the theme, rather than effective and stylistic drill

***Not trying to imply that it's inherently a bad thing if that is the case, cause it can work, it's just not my personal taste

Knowing BD, I'm confident about how it will come together throughout the season. I somewhat have an understanding of what their show is about so I can see where it is going.

Compared to other years, I actually don't mind their drill so far. But I agree about the scatterforms. I am genuinely curious how designers have gone from creating such amazing moments and drill in the past and think that all the fluttering around looks anywhere as cool. And in general, I'm a bit tired of the amount of screamers I have to hear in some shows 😅.

But I'm excited to see how the show grows and am sad that I won't get to see it in person.

oooo have y'all listened to that standstill performance by Boston Crusaders yet? i was ready to crap on it because everyone has been hyping them and i'm a contrarian, also because Maslanka's music sucks, but overall the show music is really quite good even if the performance isn't there yet. mostly it presents a strong, coherent, emotionally impactful narrative. the tango arrangement of Can't Take My Eyes Off You is brilliant and full of character and will be a big hit. i was in a tango mood today too. was listening to Astor Piazzolla's Fuga y Misterioso while on my exercise bike, feeling like Morticia Addams when she dances with Gomez.

14 hours ago, Dave609 said:

I haven't seen anything yet. I am watching the Detroit show in Theaters next week, so I'll get to see some shows for the first time then. Does anyone know what Santa Clara is doing this year? I haven't seen anything for them yet.

There show is called Finding Nirvana but that’s about all I know. I’ve got flo and planning on watching  them tonight, so I’ll let you know how it goes! 

5 hours ago, Dave609 said:

Ok thank you! 

Okay all I have to say about SCV is… WOW OH WOW!!!! They are already on fire!!!!! This show could honestly live up to Baybalon(hope I spelt that right lol)!!! I do wish the first big hit was a little longer but my gosh do they want to win!!!!! Academy and  mandarins we’re also amazing!  

16 minutes ago, Tubalord11 said:

Okay all I have to say about SCV is… WOW OH WOW!!!! They are already on fire!!!!! This show could honestly live up to Baybalon(hope I spelt that right lol)!!! I do wish the first big hit was a little longer but my gosh do they want to win!!!!! Academy and  mandarins we’re also amazing!  

sweet! This will be the first season I keep up with since 2018, so I can't wait! Glad to see that Academy and Mandarins are still going strong! I get to see the Detroit show in Theaters, so I am excited to see what Bluecoats and Cavaliers have in store!

So happy competitive drum corps is back!

Was kind of disappointed by the performer numbers in the first three open class corps, especially in brass and guard. Hopefully with things seeming to return to normal they can build their numbers back up over the next few seasons. Still wonderful performances from them tonight. Also, Gold has a really good shot to repeat as a medalist in OC.

I have a feeling Mandarins will climb at least one spot come finals. Just so good from them even in the early part of the season. The Academy has a really fun show again. Pacific Crest was good as well. Interested to see how that show evolves over the season because it's a really interesting premise.

Oh, and yeah, Vanguard is definitely in WC title discussion. That was great, even if it wasn't the entire show on the field tonight.

Really excited for tomorrow night and then the midwest and east coast corps starting off next week.

3 minutes ago, ViewFromTheBox said:

So happy competitive drum corps is back!

Was kind of disappointed by the performer numbers in the first three open class corps, especially in brass and guard. Hopefully with things seeming to return to normal they can build their numbers back up over the next few seasons. Still wonderful performances from them tonight. Also, Gold has a really good shot to repeat as a medalist in OC.

I have a feeling Mandarins will climb at least one spot come finals. Just so good from them even in the early part of the season. The Academy has a really fun show again. Pacific Crest was good as well. Interested to see how that show evolves over the season because it's a really interesting premise.

Oh, and yeah, Vanguard is definitely in WC title discussion. That was great, even if it wasn't the entire show on the field tonight.

Really excited for tomorrow night and then the midwest and east coast corps starting off next week.

Totally agree with this!!! 

And if anyone is curious (or just can't sleep tonight), here's the recap and scores: https://dci.org/scores/recap/2022-corps-at-the-crest-san-diego

Super dumb stat of the night: SCV got a 13.9 from six judges (GE 1&2, VP, VA, Guard and MA). Also, each of those caption scores were 7.1 content and 6.8 for achievement. Means absolutely nothing really, but it is odd.

6 minutes ago, ViewFromTheBox said:

And if anyone is curious (or just can't sleep tonight), here's the recap and scores: https://dci.org/scores/recap/2022-corps-at-the-crest-san-diego

Super dumb stat of the night: SCV got a 13.9 from six judges (GE 1&2, VP, VA, Guard and MA). Also, each of those caption scores were 7.1 content and 6.8 for achievement. Means absolutely nothing really, but it is odd.

I know the 69.95 seemed INCREDIBLY LOW for Vanguard thought at least a 75 but idk what they saw we didn’t lol 

lots of good things happening w/ SCV, but as i was watching, i was thinking a 68 or a 69, if 70-72 is future champion. they could still win for sure, i'm not blown away by any corps yet, but there's something just generic and bland enough about this *modern* design that i'm not convinced. i like how the corps moves. the opening is almost sensual. brass is good.

5 hours ago, Tubalord11 said:

Baybalon(hope I spelt that right lol)!!!

oh what a serendipitous misspelling! you've given me yet another scathingly brilliant marching show idea. i call it Babe-a-lon, an ode to sexy pin-up calendar models, both male and female. the field will be like a page you're eagerly waiting to turn. i'll do it right after my Showgirls show. i'll do the drill for that one myself so that i can save up the money i'll need to purchase the stripper poles to recreate the Cheetah on the field.

3 hours ago, packwick said:

lots of good things happening w/ SCV, but as i was watching, i was thinking a 68 or a 69, if 70-72 is future champion. they could still win for sure, i'm not blown away by any corps yet, but there's something just generic and bland enough about this *modern* design that i'm not convinced. i like how the corps moves. the opening is almost sensual. brass is good.

oh what a serendipitous misspelling! you've given me yet another scathingly brilliant marching show idea. i call it Babe-a-lon, an ode to sexy pin-up calendar models, both male and female. the field will be like a page you're eagerly waiting to turn. i'll do it right after my Showgirls show. i'll do the drill for that one myself so that i can save up the money i'll need to purchase the stripper poles to recreate the Cheetah on the field.

OMG 😂😂😂

9 hours ago, Tubalord11 said:

I know the 69.95 seemed INCREDIBLY LOW for Vanguard thought at least a 75 but idk what they saw we didn’t lol 

A 75 would have likely been the best open night score in DCI history (for reference, Santa Clara had the highest opening night score in 2019 with a 72.35).

But at the same time, each of the other world class corps had lower opening night scores than they did in 2019. And I think the scores, especially early in the season, are more relative to the corps they going directly up against rather a "true score" (if that makes sense). It will be really interesting to see where the scores end up tonight when the Blue Devils join the fray.

7 hours ago, packwick said:

the field will be like a page you're eagerly waiting to turn.

:lol::lol::lol: It'll be the first perfect 100 show, I'm sure.

Santa Clara Vanguard's show seems like one that could grow on me. I'm reminding myself that we haven't had DCI in several years. The lineup may not be as strong from top to bottom as usual. SCV seems to have fared very well overall. The upcoming matchup with BD will be interesting.

12 hours ago, ViewFromTheBox said:

A 75 would have likely been the best open night score in DCI history (for reference, Santa Clara had the highest opening night score in 2019 with a 72.35).

But at the same time, each of the other world class corps had lower opening night scores than they did in 2019. And I think the scores, especially early in the season, are more relative to the corps they going directly up against rather a "true score" (if that makes sense). It will be really interesting to see where the scores end up tonight when the Blue Devils join the fray.

Okay thanks for letting me know I’m completely new to DCI comps. I’ve seen ton of shows on YouTube before and know about how  placements and all that works and whose god tier, good and okay but last night was my first time watching a contest and while some scores I understand, I think being a big BOA nerd, that score seemed low but I’m excited to see how tonight shapes out. And I do understand there’s a big difference between high school bands and dci and the scoring is different.