• 1 month later...

Hey, so can someone here explain how “regular” dci contest work. I’m going to the on in McKinney as I’m in the Allen area, and this will be my first one ever! Is it like boa contest, with everyone in prelims and some in finals, are there prelims and finals? I only know how the open/world class event works snd want to get educated before going! Thanks!!! Y’all are the best :)

11 hours ago, Tubalord11 said:

Hey, so can someone here explain how “regular” dci contest work. I’m going to the on in McKinney as I’m in the Allen area, and this will be my first one ever! Is it like boa contest, with everyone in prelims and some in finals, are there prelims and finals? I only know how the open/world class event works snd want to get educated before going! Thanks!!! Y’all are the best :)

Okay, so its similar to a BOA regional but there's no finals and prelims its just one round and then results with the exception of the Drum Corps International in Indy. 

i was over at the toxic cesspool that is Drum Corps Planet for the 1st time in like 20 years. ain't never goin back, y'all!

it seems like the Cadets independently landed on one of the like 20 show ideas i manically sent to TWHS' staff as i was ripping band DVDs at 2am about 2 years ago. the whole idea of moving across the country with music for each region. my least favorite of the ideas lmao. seemed like a hokey low-hanging fruit at the time. but Cadets' musical selections are waaaay better. for that idea i was just pulling stupid songs out of my a** late at night. "When u reach California, u can, like, do the theme to The OC" lmao.

im sure it'll be better than i think. Leander kinda did it this past year but like the hippy version.

3 hours ago, packwick said:

it seems like the Cadets independently landed on one of the like 20 show ideas i manically sent to TWHS' staff as i was ripping band DVDs at 2am about 2 years ago.

😂 🎶 Cal-i-foorniaaaaa! 🎶

Hey, perhaps The Cadets will make a comeback with it! I don't follow DCI as closely as I used to, but I don't think they've placed quite as well in recent years.

1 hour ago, LeanderMomma said:

Or Californication. 😁

if i had bothered to name literally the next song that popped into my head it probably would have been that one. or something by the Beach Boys. hahaha. i must have liked the bombast of the OC one. i wasn't paying any attention to copyright issues obviously.

21 hours ago, Rubisco said:

😂 🎶 Cal-i-foorniaaaaa! 🎶

Hey, perhaps The Cadets will make a comeback with it! I don't follow DCI as closely as I used to, but I don't think they've placed quite as well in recent years.

they'll do their own thing with it. an interesting theme is just a cherry on top anyway. it's more about how the design and performance are executed. when Thomas Pynchon was writing Gravity's Rainbow he said something like, "if it comes out anything like it looks in my head, it'll be the event of the century." the real challenge is getting it to come out like how it looks in your head.

BD also already did part of an idea in 2019, so i'm good lol. i got my fix. it's just marching band.

7 hours ago, LeanderMomma said:

I’ve decided I’m all BLOO this season. I don’t even know what they’re doing but I’m here for it!  🤪💙💙

For me in recent-ish years, it has usually been the Blue Devils that are my favorite. That design team just gets it. But when it's not the Devils, it's usually Bloo. Both seem to have fresh ideas that are matched by high production values and performance, and they don't shy away from challenging the audience. BD's 2012 show is one that comes to mind. I recall thinking I might even reward it a perfect VGE score, which I was pleasantly surprised to find out they actually did end up getting in DCI finals. Definitely more of a judge favorite than a fan favorite though, like a lot of their shows. Bloo definitely does a better job connecting with the audience. I just don't know if I can take another 60s rock show!

9 hours ago, Rubisco said:

Bloo definitely does a better job connecting with the audience. I just don't know if I can take another 60s rock show!

I definitely agree, I think the best way to put it is when you watch a bd show your think "WOW! thats impressive!" but when you watch a bloo show you think "WOW thats cool!"

17 hours ago, Rubisco said:

For me in recent-ish years, it has usually been the Blue Devils that are my favorite. That design team just gets it. But when it's not the Devils, it's usually Bloo. Both seem to have fresh ideas that are matched by high production values and performance, and they don't shy away from challenging the audience. BD's 2012 show is one that comes to mind. I recall thinking I might even reward it a perfect VGE score, which I was pleasantly surprised to find out they actually did end up getting in DCI finals. Definitely more of a judge favorite than a fan favorite though, like a lot of their shows. Bloo definitely does a better job connecting with the audience. I just don't know if I can take another 60s rock show!

I actually agree with you. I’m usually more of a BD or Boston Crusaders fan myself, but this year I know so many of the kiddos in the Bluecoats that I just have to go TeamBloo. I know….such a mom thing to say. 🤣 I’m with you though on the 60’s rock. 😬 Come on Bloo, don’t let me down!

On 5/13/2022 at 5:20 PM, josephbandfan said:

Where do y'all think PR will end up this year? I'm hoping they make their comeback.

After last year's show they are back on the upswing I believe. Things feel better when the Regiment is fighting at the top. 

Another corps that I really enjoyed last year was The Troopers and I hope they continue along with their strong showing last season. 

I've been a Bluecoats fan for a long time but I really hope they don't explore the Beatles anymore. 

• 2 weeks later...