Texas Marching Classic 2022 (Oct 8th, 2022)

17 minutes ago, MikeKyu said:

This is a heavy contest. I can see things going a few ways in finals but this is my final guess:

1. Vandegrift H.S., TX  - They are going to win by 2.0+ points
2. Ronald Reagan H.S., TX  They are going to win visual pushing them above Cedar Park by the smallest of margins. 
3. Cedar Park H.S., TX  It hurts to put such a great conceived, played, and performed show in 3rd. I wouldn't be surprised to see this show in 2nd
4. Round Rock H.S., TX  They made strides and cleaned this show up considerably. After the last few years it feels oddly great to put the Dragons this high at this contest
5. Vista Ridge H.S., TX This show is cleaning up nicely but I think they will fall below the Dragon at this show. At the end of the year they will overcome Round Rock but not yet. 
6. Rouse H.S., TX  Not too much of a change the last few weeks. They have supposedly hit hard by COVID. 
7. Hendrickson H.S., TX  They are pushing hard to Grand Nats. 
8.Leander H.S., TX  Big improvement from BOA Austin. They aren't playing like Leander of near past but they are marching the show well.
9. Dripping Springs H.S., TX  Huge strides made in bringing this band back to prominence with a well thought out and played show.
These last 3 can go any way

10. John B. Alexander H.S., TX  My favorite dark horse in every contest  

11. Louis D. Brandeis H.S., TX  Up and coming band. They will learn a lot from this contest.
12. McNeil H.S., TX  They always seem to be on the bubble. This contest brings them to finals. 

Exact same ordering as me, but a 2 point gap between Vandegrift and Reagan seems a little big. Then again, Cedar Ridge has more or less shown us early what the tiers could be

5 minutes ago, peshbandkid said:

Exact same ordering as me, but a 2 point gap between Vandegrift and Reagan seems a little big. Then again, Cedar Ridge has more or less shown us early what the tiers could be

I believe the 2 point difference will all come from music at this contest. Vandy is clean clean clean right now. Reagan had a fair amount of dirt to clean up last weekend and some of those niggles will most likely remain. Visual performance is a dead heat between the top 3 right now. I put CP 3rd because I believe they are going to perform the 4th movement of the show. I saw video of it this morning. 

11 minutes ago, peshbandkid said:

It's worth noting that TMC is 60% performance captions and 40% GE where BOA is the opposite. Under that scoring criteria I can see a clean Vandy pulling off a two point lead.

I don’t know but I presume:

1. Vandegrift (Visual, Auxiliary, General Effect)

2. Round Rock (Music)

3. Ronald Reagan

4. Cedar Park

5. Rouse

6. Vista Ridge

7. Robert E. Hendrickson

8. Dripping Springs

9. Winston Churchill

10. McNeil

11. Leander

12. Louis D. Brandeis

-

13. John B. Alexander

Hutto - This gives me a lot of Homestead 2021 vibes. A little rough on the music but the kids are having a blast! Visuals were quite good for being early season much better than how I’ve seen them previously! Fun band and they put out quite a sound.

Hendrickson - Amazing!! They’ve only gotten better since Austin. They need more control in their volume and more dynamic moments in their music but it’s not badly performed and it will be a nice 8th-16th placer at grand nationals.

Weiss - They sound a lot cleaner that at VRHS Marching Fest! They’re not bad. There’s something about the visual package that lacks the conituity to translate into high GE scores.

James Madison - Very strong! They will place higher than expected. It’s not a perfect show but they hit their moments when it’s expected. A similar vibe to what Leander is doing with a light themed show.

Leander - ….. They’ve been better. I don’t like the park and bark. The way they frame the field is a little puzzling and feels too enclosed. When a band like Highland Park closes the field like this it feels organic this feels confined. The visuals are not at the level they should be but they sound phenomenal when they play.

Tom C. Clark - Fun! Fun! Fun! This show is a lot of fun. It’s a lot like Vandegrift this year but a lot more compelling for the audience. It won’t make finals here but they could be in Area H finals in a few weeks. They’re better than I’ve seen them previously. 

35 minutes ago, Leander Band Fan Forever said:

Hutto - This gives me a lot of Homestead 2021 vibes. A little rough on the music but the kids are having a blast! Visuals were quite good for being early season much better than how I’ve seen them previously! Fun band and they put out quite a sound.

Hendrickson - Amazing!! They’ve only gotten better since Austin. They need more control in their volume and more dynamic moments in their music but it’s not badly performed and it will be a nice 8th-16th placer at grand nationals.

Weiss - They sound a lot cleaner that at VRHS Marching Fest! They’re not bad. There’s something about the visual package that lacks the conituity to translate into high GE scores.

James Madison - Very strong! They will place higher than expected. It’s not a perfect show but they hit their moments when it’s expected. A similar vibe to what Leander is doing with a light themed show.

Leander - ….. They’ve been better. I don’t like the park and bark. The way they frame the field is a little puzzling and feels too enclosed. When a band like Highland Park closes the field like this it feels organic this feels confined. The visuals are not at the level they should be but they sound phenomenal when they play.

Tom C. Clark - Fun! Fun! Fun! This show is a lot of fun. It’s a lot like Vandegrift this year but a lot more compelling for the audience. It won’t make finals here but they could be in Area H finals in a few weeks. They’re better than I’ve seen them previously. 

Thanks for the kind words on my alumni program! For some reason they aren’t posting videos of their shows this year compared to usual so all I’ve seen are small clips here and there. Been wanting to see the show but can’t unfortunately. Sucks to be in Nebraska and not be able to just go to the show myself haha. 

Although neither of them quite capture the song the way I'd like, I like Round Rock's composition of Adagio for Tron better than Vandys! The emphasis on low brass really mimics the synth of the original, really cool stuff. 

(although I do hope bands realize Daft Punk has a lot of great songs that aren't on the Tron soundtrack) 

Either way, great run from Round Rock! Happy to see them coming back as of late, the more RRISD bands doing well, the merrier! 

1 hour ago, FaultLineBlues said:

Lotta people forgetting to put their umbrellas down when the band is performing, currently watching through a sea of them. 

I was at a performance where the folks with an umbrella were asked to put their umbrella down when the show started, and they said No.  Maybe it should be included in the announcement about silencing cell phones and entering while a band is performing?   

21 minutes ago, OldViolet said:

I was at a performance where the folks with an umbrella were asked to put their umbrella down when the show started, and they said No.  Maybe it should be included in the announcement about silencing cell phones and entering while a band is performing?   

Which is a real shame as the live experience is preferable to the online experience. But because so many people are rude, selfish, and inconsiderate these days, I no longer attend in person. I do miss the live experience, though, but not enough to endure all the negatives.