2022 BOA Austin (Sept. 24)

11 hours ago, urmom292 said:

I think I found a video of Dripping Springs Hs Band show this year. It’s the full football game from last Friday but they show the band at 1:48:55 with audio. They look more BOA style then last year. It isn’t the cleanest but I hope they can clean it up by  BOA Austin. https://youtu.be/13Hegn_jUsg

Anyone else feel like it's been a lot easier this year to find early recordings of show through football streams?? 

I swear there weren't this many streams in past years. 

2 hours ago, FaultLineBlues said:

Anyone else feel like it's been a lot easier this year to find early recordings of show through football streams?? 

I swear there weren't this many streams in past years. 

I do!  Unfortunately the bands I want to see are muted at halftime on the YouTube recordings but at least I can see the drill. 

On 9/3/2022 at 1:47 PM, packwick said:

yes to all of this. supposedly got some interesting set pieces on the way. they're the frontrunner here imo, just like last year. would be fun to see an upset or some caption trading tho.

I’m going to be the dissenter here and say I thought Cedar Park looked better on Friday night. But Vandy has three weeks to work out the kinks and prove me wrong. 😘

Ah, so there IS a video of Vista Ridge that's not just a close up of the ramp. :D

Yeah, this show is pretty much fire, and is also intellectually satisfying. They're not skimping on the difficulty. Drill is very Bluecoats. Obviously, the performance is not as under control as a couple others right now. I suspect they'll do well here, but really watch out for them late season. We could see some leapfrog.

Saw a really great quality video of Westlake. I’m really liking what I’m seeing so far. Lots of character in the music, great clarinet soloist. The visual program is already reading nicely too. The detective theme is coming across in the drill with all the DNA and magnifying glass references. The guard is small but clearly well-trained. 

4 hours ago, Rubisco said:

Ah, so there IS a video of Vista Ridge that's not just a close up of the ramp. :D

Yeah, this show is pretty much fire, and is also intellectually satisfying. They're not skimping on the difficulty. Drill is very Bluecoats. Obviously, the performance is not as under control as a couple others right now. I suspect they'll do well here, but really watch out for them late season. We could see some leapfrog.

yep yep, very Vanderkolff for sure. all those blocky lines and curvilinears. underlined lines as i call them. a surprising amount of single file lines too tho. hahahaha.

Bach's Chaconne in D Minor is one of my favorite pieces, which helps. i guess technically not the original one but the piano arrangement.

11 hours ago, Samuel Culper said:

If anyone wants a look at Vista Ridge, there is an event at Gupton Stadium this evening, 6pm.  The President of the Tournament of Roses is in town to present a Rose Parade flag to the band. The Cedar Park mayor and State Rep John Bucy will be there to present proclomations to the band.  And the band will do a run of the show.

They really make a big deal out of this rose parade thing.

On 9/6/2022 at 9:46 PM, Origin said:

Saw a really great quality video of Westlake. I’m really liking what I’m seeing so far. Lots of character in the music, great clarinet soloist. The visual program is already reading nicely too. The detective theme is coming across in the drill with all the DNA and magnifying glass references. The guard is small but clearly well-trained. 

the clarinet soloist for Westlake is amazing. like wow. one of the cleaner visual programs i've seen as well. brass sounds are a liiiittle thin at times, but the music is refreshingly different from most of what i've heard. more fun, less serious. this will be a good pairing w/ twhs' Mad Mod and Go.

Cedar Ridge's show seems like they're going for a Broken Arrow style. drill = lots of isolated simpler shapes with a lot of flags around them. not quiiiite as interesting to me as BA's, go figure, but they're solid performers.

I think Mark Moreno designs for Cedar Ridge, which may explain some of the Cartwright-isms. He worked with Wes while designing for Phantom Regiment, and maybe some other ensembles as well. He also wrote the drill for Cypress Woods last year, which had that Cartwright feel. I haven't seen Cedar Ridge yet, so I can't comment on this year's show.

Westlake is very enjoyable! Guard is Open class now, after medaling in A class last season at WGI!

On 9/6/2022 at 9:46 PM, Origin said:

I just saw that video as well. They look and sound great!!!

i had to go over to the TMEA site to look up last year's flute and clarinet all-state results for Coppell and Westlake like a stalker. sometimes it's just flamingly obvious when you're listening to a top placing all-stater. aaand my suspicions were confirmed. both schools had top 10 performers with all or mostly seniors placing ahead of them. might not be them soloing, but proooobably.

On 12/15/2021 at 3:31 PM, LeanderMomma said:

The 2022 Bands of America Austin Regional will be held on Saturday, September 24 at Round Rock ISD’s Kelly Reeves Athletic Complex.

Folks, it looks like we have a schedule!  (Thank you @yayband914)

8:00 - John Marshall H.S., TX
8:15 - Weiss H.S., TX
8:30 - Harker Heights H.S., TX
8:45 - Tom C. Clark H.S., TX
9:00 - Cedar Park H.S., TX

BREAK

9:45 - Vista Ridge H.S., TX
10:00 - Dripping Springs H.S., TX
10:15 - Veterans Memorial H.S., TX
10:30 - Rouse H.S., TX
10:45 - New Braunfels H.S., TX
11:00 - Ann Richards School, TX
11:15 - Louis D. Brandeis H.S., TX

BREAK

12:15 - Hendrickson H.S., TX
12:30 - James Bowie H.S., TX
12:45 - Lake Travis H.S., TX
1:00 - Burnet H.S., TX
1:15 - Manor New Tech H.S., TX
1:30 - Westlake H.S., TX

BREAK

2:15 - Leander H.S., TX
2:30 - Anderson H.S., TX
2:45 - Westwood H.S., TX
3:00 - Round Rock H.S., TX
3:15 - Cedar Ridge H.S., TX
3:30 - East View H.S., TX
3:45 - Vandegrift H.S., TX

Please add Chaparral HS to that list who will be performing first in the line up at 7:45.

9 minutes ago, Tubalord11 said:

New vid up of Ceder Ridge! They sound amazing!!! And down to 4 tubas… for a 6A powerhouse 😩 As a tuba player myself I’m extremely surprised, like that’s less than some 3A bands maybe even 2A or 1A??? But none the less they are amazing!!! 

Do they need some tuba players?? 🤣🤣

In all seriousness, 4 tubas for a 6A band is shocking.

4 minutes ago, J-Mike16 said:

Do they need some tuba players?? 🤣🤣

In all seriousness, 4 tubas for a 6A band is shocking.

They had the same amount of tubas, and maybe about 90ish winds total, but still placed 7th at state, 6th at BOA San Antonio, and 2nd at BOA Katy. They will be fine.