2022 BOA Austin (Sept. 24)

On 8/26/2022 at 9:53 PM, FaultLineBlues said:

There's a recording of Cedar Parks show from tonight up on YouTube. It's not the best quality, and the video has a title that seems to take a shot at Cedar Ridge for no real reason, but hey it's there if anyone wants to find it. 

I genuinely hope that account isn't affiliated with the band because that title is not a good look.

5 hours ago, Cityscapes said:

I genuinely hope that account isn't affiliated with the band because that title is not a good look.

It's also not great that they double down in the comments of the video. 

Might seem like a silly thing to care about but it's frustrating to see students from across different programs make fun of/insult each other in such a petty manner, especially in something as public as a YouTube title. 

8 hours ago, Cityscapes said:

This account is in no way affiliated with CPHS band. From listening to the video and reading the response from the account owner,  it sounds like a elementary/middle school child. Many of the comments are CPHS band participants calling this person out for being disrespectful to Cedar Ridge and asking owner to change the title. 

4 hours ago, Twolfbandmom said:

This account is in no way affiliated with CPHS band. From listening to the video and reading the response from the account owner,  it sounds like a elementary/middle school child. Many of the comments are CPHS band participants calling this person out for being disrespectful to Cedar Ridge and asking owner to change the title. 

I don’t see any CP videos on YouTube for the football game performance on Friday so maybe they took it down. Hopefully!

On 8/26/2022 at 2:26 PM, packwick said:

guard def not alone in that. i watched College Park last night and beside some dancing at the start of the show the guard walked from spot to spot. no equipment. maybe that's typical for a first show? dunno. first performances are hard to judge.

i think Leander's aight. some issues but fixable especially this early. show is a little slow to start for my tastes, prob my main complaint. not everyone will feel that way tho.

Wondering if you are referring to the wrong band? College Park’s guard used rifles and flags at their first performance. The band that performed before them did not have their guard use equipment, though.

I'm genuinely excited to see how Cedar Ridge fares this year, not just at this contest, but during the season as a whole. They're coming in from their most successful season to date, with a top half placement at San Antonio, and I wonder if that success will translate here, or if we'll see their usual course of a ramp up over the season. 

I do also tend to wonder if their size is ever gonna be a limiting factor, but they've shown year and year again that they can push past that, even with bands that pale in comparison in size to other 6A groups. I do know they're fielding another smaller group this year, with something like 10 flutes in total, so I'm excited to see how they design around that. They're certainly challenging the students with the music this time around, and they've definitely risen to the occasion from what I saw at the parent performance! No matter what they place, I'm just happy to see my old program doing well and the students having fun. 

(I apologize for the ramblings of an enthusiastic alumni) 

54 minutes ago, FaultLineBlues said:

I'm genuinely excited to see how Cedar Ridge fares this year, not just at this contest, but during the season as a whole. They're coming in from their most successful season to date, with a top half placement at San Antonio, and I wonder if that success will translate here, or if we'll see their usual course of a ramp up over the season. 

I do also tend to wonder if their size is ever gonna be a limiting factor, but they've shown year and year again that they can push past that, even with bands that pale in comparison in size to other 6A groups. I do know they're fielding another smaller group this year, with something like 10 flutes in total, so I'm excited to see how they design around that. They're certainly challenging the students with the music this time around, and they've definitely risen to the occasion from what I saw at the parent performance! No matter what they place, I'm just happy to see my old program doing well and the students having fun. 

(I apologize for the ramblings of an enthusiastic alumni) 

Cedar Ridge had the second biggest ensemble sound at BOA Katy last year (second to Reagan) with what looked to be around 90 winds on the field. I think they are just as good if not better than last season. 

This contest gets better every year.  In the past I would have said that Austin always showcased a half dozen or so extremely amazing bands and then a dozen or so decent but not standout worthy groups.  Whereas the DFW and Houston competitions have a handful of top tier but a ton of competition in the next tier down, just knocking on the doors of greatness.

The bands that attend this regional have been really improving though and I would now say that it matches any other regional in the number of excellent, competitive bands.  So many groups that deserve to be a finalist here!

Vandegrift looks and sounds pretty stellar again. I love the commanding opening visual statement -- the appealing contrast between the faster stuff in the middle of the field and the perimeter closing in. I still wish the drill program overall were a little bit more varied in its effects. Again, it's all BIG and latitudinal and has a similar look from moment to moment. The drill works for the music in a kind of obvious way, but I'd like to see them play more with moments of higher density, higher compaction, as well as moments that are maybe a bit more broken up. Give us some delicacy. Also, when you do a lot of layering, that disparate movement needs to be building to some unified statement, otherwise it just looks busy. But overall, very impressive playing and marching yet again, despite the director change.

I saw a video of Hendrickson and it is clear they are playing the long game for nationals. I have very high hopes for them as the drill looked incredibly demanding but still effective. Once they get comfortable with the visual, the music will come. I think they make it back into finals here. 

8 hours ago, Rubisco said:

Vandegrift looks and sounds pretty stellar again. I love the commanding opening visual statement -- the appealing contrast between the faster stuff in the middle of the field and the perimeter closing in. I still wish the drill program overall were a little bit more varied in its effects. Again, it's all BIG and latitudinal and has a similar look from moment to moment. The drill works for the music in a kind of obvious way, but I'd like to see them play more with moments of higher density, higher compaction, as well as moments that are maybe a bit more broken up. Give us some delicacy. Also, when you do a lot of layering, that disparate movement needs to be building to some unified statement, otherwise it just looks busy. But overall, very impressive playing and marching yet again, despite the director change.

yes to all of this. supposedly got some interesting set pieces on the way. they're the frontrunner here imo, just like last year. would be fun to see an upset or some caption trading tho.