2022 BOA Austin (Sept. 24)

The 2022 Bands of America Austin Regional will be held on Saturday, September 24 at Round Rock ISD’s Kelly Reeves Athletic Complex.

Folks, it looks like we have a schedule!  (Thank you @yayband914)
7:45am - Chaparral H.S., TX
8:00 - John Marshall H.S., TX
8:15 - Weiss H.S., TX
8:30 - Harker Heights H.S., TX
8:45 - Tom C. Clark H.S., TX
9:00 - Cedar Park H.S., TX

BREAK

9:45 - Vista Ridge H.S., TX
10:00 - Dripping Springs H.S., TX
10:15 - Veterans Memorial H.S., TX
10:30 - Rouse H.S., TX
10:45 - New Braunfels H.S., TX
11:00 - Ann Richards School, TX
11:15 - Louis D. Brandeis H.S., TX

BREAK

12:15pm - Hendrickson H.S., TX
12:30 - James Bowie H.S., TX
12:45 - Lake Travis H.S., TX
1:00 - Burnet H.S., TX
1:15 - Manor New Tech H.S., TX
1:30 - Westlake H.S., TX

BREAK

2:15 - Leander H.S., TX
2:30 - Anderson H.S., TX
2:45 - Westwood H.S., TX
3:00 - Round Rock H.S., TX
3:15 - Cedar Ridge H.S., TX
3:30 - East View H.S., TX
3:45 - Vandegrift H.S., TX

Edited by LeanderMomma
Chaparral was added

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thought I'd bring over some info from Hornrank forums incase people don't frequent both! 

AS OF 01/21/2022

Confirmed (8):

Cedar Park H.S., TX (AAA)

Cedar Ridge H.S., TX (AAAA)

James Bowie H.S., TX (AAAA)

Keller Central H.S., TX (AAAA)

Round Rock H.S., TX (AAAA)

Rouse H.S., TX (AAA)

Weiss H.S., TX (AAAA)

Westwood H.S., TX (AAAA)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Decided to throw my hat in for a early season prediction 😏

1st Vandegrift (AAAA) 

With what looks like CTJ missing this regional, I believe its clear Vandegrift will take it.

2nd Cedar Ridge (AAAA)

So these next 5 are pretty interchangeable however Since CR’s 6th place finish at San Antonio last year, I have pretty high expectations from them. However they did also start the season somewhat rougher then where they ended up last year, so I could see them lower and peaking towards the end of the season.

3rd Vista Ridge (AAAA)

I see Vista starting to work their way back to where they once were. that being said they have been know to choke a finals run ;)

4th Rouse (AAA)

Rouse is stepping up their show this year and i think its gonna be very rewarding for them. they were easily the smallest band in the top 30 at San Antonio and managed to get 11th in prelims and 13th in finals. this is an up and coming group who will be competing to be the regional champion sooner or later. 

5th Leander (AAA) You can’t go wrong with leander! Easily one of the most fun groups out there. I believe this season for them will be similar to their last as they continue to adjust to their even smaller size and new head director.

6th Cedar Park (AAA) I love to see that Cedar Park is starting to return to their former glory. However this group is likely going to have a rough early season, “Why?” you may ask? They’re going to have mirrors as backdrops which will expose their visual (which is their worst caption) really bad, I believe the backdrops could do wonders later in the season but not early season when the drills still dirty. They would be lower but their superb music skills will keep them in the top 6.  

7th Westlake

8th Round Rock 

9th Hendrickson

10th James Bowie

11th Westwood

12th Wiess/ Lake Travis

Music: Vandegrift (maybe CR)

Visual: Vandegrift 

GE: Vandegrift (maybe rouse)

• 3 weeks later...
8 hours ago, BandFan95 said:

Any idea why CTJ opted to not make the trip this year?

I believe they were just ready to change things up a bit this year!   Also, they are beginning school a week earlier than they are accustomed to (Aug 10) so they won’t have as much time as they are used to having to learn the entire show. BOA Austin comes quick!

On 12/15/2021 at 3:31 PM, LeanderMomma said:

The 2022 Bands of America Austin Regional will be held on Saturday, September 24 at Round Rock ISD’s Kelly Reeves Athletic Complex.

There are 26 Bands enrolled in the Austin Regional as of 07/18/2022:

Anderson H.S., TX
Burnet H.S., TX
Cedar Park H.S., TX
Cedar Ridge H.S., TX
Dripping Springs H.S., TX
East View H.S., TX
Harker Heights H.S., TX
James Bowie H.S., TX
John Marshall H.S., TX
Lake Travis H.S., TX
Leander H.S., TX
Liberal Arts and Science Academy, TX
Louis D. Brandeis H.S., TX
Manor New Tech H.S., TX
New Braunfels H.S., TX
Robert E. Hendrickson H.S., TX
Round Rock H.S., TX
Rouse H.S., TX
The Ann Richards School for Young Women Leaders, TX
Tom C. Clark H.S., TX
Vandegrift H.S., TX
Veterans Memorial H.S., TX
Vista Ridge H.S., TX
Weiss H.S., TX
Westlake H.S., TX
Westwood H.S., TX

I edited the top post in this thread to include the participating bands as per the MFA site. I’m excited to already see 26 bands listed!  I know that’s more than we had last year. Good to see attendance rising again! 

On 7/20/2022 at 5:20 PM, LeanderMomma said:

I believe they were just ready to change things up a bit this year!   Also, they are beginning school a week earlier than they are accustomed to (Aug 10) so they won’t have as much time as they are used to having to learn the entire show. BOA Austin comes quick!

Oh my! That is early!!

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/24/2022 at 6:13 PM, BaritoneBallah said:

6th Cedar Park (AAA) I love to see that Cedar Park is starting to return to their former glory. However this group is likely going to have a rough early season, “Why?” you may ask? They’re going to have mirrors as backdrops which will expose their visual (which is their worst caption) really bad, I believe the backdrops could do wonders later in the season but not early season when the drills still dirty. They would be lower but their superb music skills will keep them in the top 6.  

I doubt the mirrors will give them too much trouble. While CP has had some difficulty in ensemble visual, their individual visual scores are consistently their highest placing caption. 

On 12/15/2021 at 3:31 PM, LeanderMomma said:

Folks, it looks like we have a schedule!  (Thank you @yayband914)

8:00 - John Marshall H.S., TX
8:15 - Weiss H.S., TX
8:30 - Harker Heights H.S., TX
8:45 - Tom C. Clark H.S., TX
9:00 - Cedar Park H.S., TX

BREAK

9:45 - Vista Ridge H.S., TX
10:00 - Dripping Springs H.S., TX
10:15 - Veterans Memorial H.S., TX
10:30 - Rouse H.S., TX
10:45 - New Braunfels H.S., TX
11:00 - Ann Richards School, TX
11:15 - Louis D. Brandeis H.S., TX

BREAK

12:15 - Hendrickson H.S., TX
12:30 - James Bowie H.S., TX
12:45 - Lake Travis H.S., TX
1:00 - Burnet H.S., TX
1:15 - Manor New Tech H.S., TX
1:30 - Westlake H.S., TX

BREAK

2:15 - Leander H.S., TX
2:30 - Anderson H.S., TX
2:45 - Westwood H.S., TX
3:00 - Round Rock H.S., TX
3:15 - Cedar Ridge H.S., TX
3:30 - East View H.S., TX
3:45 - Vandegrift H.S., TX

Original post edited to show the schedule for this great contest. Thanks to @yayband914 for always being on top of these things!  

Saw a video of Leander from yesterday (seems to be taken down now). It looks like they’ve weathered the director changes pretty well. Brass had some great moments. There was a cool snare solo (think Blue Knights 2017 or Keller 2018). It was concerning that the guard didn’t have any work out there though. 

3 hours ago, Origin said:

Saw a video of Leander from yesterday (seems to be taken down now). It looks like they’ve weathered the director changes pretty well. Brass had some great moments. There was a cool snare solo (think Blue Knights 2017 or Keller 2018). It was concerning that the guard didn’t have any work out there though. 

guard def not alone in that. i watched College Park last night and beside some dancing at the start of the show the guard walked from spot to spot. no equipment. maybe that's typical for a first show? dunno. first performances are hard to judge.

i think Leander's aight. some issues but fixable especially this early. show is a little slow to start for my tastes, prob my main complaint. not everyone will feel that way tho.

Now I may be biased because I’ve only seen 4 or 5 bands this year but Vista Ridge really surprised me. I think they truly have the potential to break into the top. It’s not the cleanest and may lag behind at Austin but I really think it’ll catch up later on in the season and it’s my best belief that a top 3 at both UIL and San Antonio is possible.

1 hour ago, FaultLineBlues said:

There's a recording of Cedar Parks show from tonight up on YouTube. It's not the best quality, and the video has a title that seems to take a shot at Cedar Ridge for no real reason, but hey it's there if anyone wants to find it. 

They sound good! Music is pretty interesting as well. Visual design seems solid, but it's definitely missing some of the bells and whistles right now.