2022 BOA Houston (Sept. 24)

9 minutes ago, BandFan59 said:

SFA's new head director was at Tarpon Springs last year and Coppell before that. I believe the associate director did some work at DFW programs including Coppell and Hebron. Some very good pedigree there but I've not seen anything from them yet, or from many Houston area programs for that matter.

Sounds like a whole lot of potential at SFA. Thanks for all the information on the other 4 bands, it's been very hard finding performances of bands this year. Just curious, would it be a tactic to release/not release performance videos before the first competition? 

13 minutes ago, ExtremeCream said:

Sounds like a whole lot of potential at SFA. Thanks for all the information on the other 4 bands, it's been very hard finding performances of bands this year. Just curious, would it be a tactic to release/not release performance videos before the first competition? 

Many schools do try and prevent videos of their shows from being made public in advance of competitions to keep everything as fresh as possible for the viewing and judging experience. There could also be the problem of copyright with the music selections in some shows.

32 minutes ago, BandFan59 said:

Many schools do try and prevent videos of their shows from being made public in advance of competitions to keep everything as fresh as possible for the viewing and judging experience. There could also be the problem of copyright with the music selections in some shows.

That and the possibility of another band program copying drill and/or music from you.

1 minute ago, yayband914 said:

That shouldn’t be an issue in September when everyone should have learned their music and almost everyone should have almost all their drill. 

I mean, you are right, however there have been times where a band program has taken a formation from one band and then changed their show to include that formation.

51 minutes ago, J-Mike16 said:

I mean, you are right, however there have been times where a band program has taken a formation from one band and then changed their show to include that formation.

I see that as just fine. Let them copy your already well planned out drill. Do it better. Copy cats exist in every business vertical, competition, or art form. The best just continue on with what you do. "Imitation is the greatest form of flattery."

10 hours ago, MikeKyu said:

I see that as just fine. Let them copy your already well planned out drill. Do it better. Copy cats exist in every business vertical, competition, or art form. The best just continue on with what you do. "Imitation is the greatest form of flattery."

And if we’re being honest, the best programs do not do this because they usually already work with the best designers. I would love to see a list of “those times” where a band copied another in the same season. 

1 hour ago, Cityscapes said:

1: Klein Oak

2: Pearland 

3: The Woodlands

4: Bridgeland

5: College Park

6: Dawson

7: Wylie East

8: Cy-Fair

9: Clear Brook 

10: SFA

11: Oak Ridge

12: Jordan

I could see woodlands mayyyyyyybe being overtaken by Klein oak, but I’m not so sure about Pearland beating woodlands, what’s your reasoning behind that prediction, if I might ask?

1 hour ago, Cityscapes said:

No Friendswood? Neither here nor there, I’ve just seen people say really good things about them this year and not many predictions (also on HornRank) have left them out of finals. 

Throwing my proverbial hat in the ring, including potential bubble bands. With the exception of Klein Oak, Bridgeland and Wylie East, I have not seen most of these programs yet, but am going off of prior performance history and mass speculation. 

1. The Woodlands

2. Klein Oak

3. Pearland

4. Bridgeland

5. Wylie East

6. Friendswood

7. James E. Taylor

8. Cy-Fair

9. James Martin

10. Dawson

11. College Park

12. Oak Ridge

————

13. Jordan

14. Stephen F. Austin

15. Clear Brook

20 hours ago, Cityscapes said:

This would be pretty shocking to see…. Not saying it’s impossible, but I’ll say it’s pretty improbable. 

1 hour ago, Bandmomx4 said:

This would be pretty shocking to see…. Not saying it’s impossible, but I’ll say it’s pretty improbable. 

u never know! Klein Oak def impressed me in those earlier vids. some mighty fine playing, especially those soloists. i see a couple blips on the radar, are they missiles? we'll find out soon enough!

maybe tonight actually. c'moooon ballad!

I've been unable to see almost all of the bands here, so my predictions are more or less just based off prior performance history and what I've heard from others, so take this with a grain of salt:

1. The Woodlands (M/V/GE)
  2. Klein Oak
  3. Oak Ridge
  4. Dawson
  5. Pearland
  6. Stephen F. Austin
  7. College Park
  8. Wylie East
  9. Clear Brook
  10. Friendswood
  11. James Martin
  12. Cy-Fair

I've almost certainly left out a band or two that should be in finals but Houston is just so hard to predict.

lifting weights and staring down at my liiittle itsy bitsy phone screen watching bands here.

Oak Riiidge! now we've got actual hot air balloon cut outs on the field. they do elegance well. drill is simple and pretty. air is wooshing, i feel like i'm up in the clouds. woooo... finalist, maybe?

Bridgeland pretty much delivered, i thought. probably the visually cleanest show so far. still not the biggest fan of the set, but they can play and march. only around since 2017?! c'moooon next Houston powerhouse!

Klein Oak is delightful witchiness and POWER. i mean every band has kiiinda sounded muffled w/ these speakers, but u could tell KO was givin us energy. some phasing b/w the winds and perc during Danse, and again during winds and voice during Uninvited. gotta get those clicking, but suuuch a fun and exciting show!

My first time watching the Woodlands this season and I thought it was a great show! They've really leaned into the Broadway-esque shows the past several years and are performing them very well. The drill, while not very difficult, is quite clean at this stage of the season. Great soloists as usual and a fantastic ballad. Excited to see this progress over the season!

i'm proud of twhs. they did well. very nice to see from above. cool design. cool visual, cool music, goosebumpy ballad. they still need to do some model matching or whatever u do to make that sound better blended. parts here and there sound thiiin, like one person is playing each part, whiiich means when they mess up we hear it very clearly. the show is deceptively challenging though, esp rhythms, i think it's more front loaded than last year's.

were their electronics working? there's uuusually a voiceover during the opener and there was no bass presence during 2nd mvmnt. also, clearly quite windy. kiiinda sucks during the flag doubles. hahaha.