2022 BOA Houston (Sept. 24)

On 9/9/2022 at 12:12 AM, packwick said:

Oak Ridge was really good. looks like they had some sort of hot air balloon motif going on. Up, Up, and Away? was that it? spiral-y dresses like Broken Arrow 2013. i'm thiiinking strong finalist here. no frills drill + music. they do it well. they have a fabulous concert program. def one of those Houston groups i'm waiting to see burn up the marching scene. the talent is there, gotta make use of it.

twhs is looking and sounding better. def feeling the energy now. the sound cuts right through, which is good. guard was like "we want our WGI costumes from last season, buuut in blue with fringe." def seems more screwball Austin Powers spy than James Bond spy. until the upcoming ballad i guess. cute little woodwind interlude. still waiting for some fast moving fire, less spirit show look, but the tradeoff is it's one of visually cleanest shows i've seen. guard deeefinitely helps, just so much cleaner and more together than the other guards. it pops upstairs.

I agree, I thought Oak Ridge looked great!  I can’t wait to see as they add to it in the next few weeks.  :) 

All the bands locally suffered from the afternoon rains the last 2 weeks here… so they are playing catch up trying to catch up on practice time lost.  Paying for morning rain and afternoon sunshine these next 2 weeks! :)  

On 8/30/2022 at 4:39 PM, certified reed eater said:

Trying to find a recording of cy fair and bridgeland's football game last week, but could only find one of fair (Which is not filmed very well LOL)

If anyone has any vids of bridgeland they'd be willing to share/dm that would awesome! Been trying to find one for a little while

Someone posted Bridgeland’s performance from their last football game. Some parts of the video are cut due to copyright issues. 

5 hours ago, Civil87 said:

Someone posted Bridgeland’s performance from their last football game. Some parts of the video are cut due to copyright issues. 

Thanks for the link. Wow! Seems like Bridgeland taking a very different approach than last year. This shows a good showcase of their tone quality and sound. In my top 3!

I like Bridgeland a lot as well. This already seems a significant improvement over last year's show from them, when they placed 12th in prelims (and skipped finals?). They're another Houston-area band to watch. They were 1st place at UIL area last year, no? That reminds me, I still haven't seen Cypress Woods, Seven Lakes, or Pearland!

1 hour ago, Rubisco said:

I like Bridgeland a lot as well. This already seems a significant improvement over last year's show from them, when they placed 12th in prelims (and skipped finals?). They're another Houston-area band to watch. They were 1st place at UIL area last year, no? That reminds me, I still haven't seen Cypress Woods, Seven Lakes, or Pearland!

I think this is a performance from last week, really interested in this show so far, although I felt like their brass could’ve given a little more, I’m loving the horn feature at the beginning!

20 minutes ago, certified reed eater said:

I think this is a performance from last week, really interested in this show so far, although I felt like their brass could’ve given a little more, I’m loving the horn feature at the beginning!

How cute! I love the music, definitely a different Celtic flavor. It is lacking a bit of punch, especially that opening statement that follows the epic sounding preshow. There's a bit of a Huh? That's It? effect :lol:. Visual program is once again very reminiscent of a Cartwright show. The drill and set pieces are simple, but appealing and well-balanced.

I'm trying to figure out some pre-contest placements in my head. I still need to see Pearland. How are they looking this season? I know they've had some major director changes. Them and everyone else!

I listened in to TWHS just now. There was definitely a little thrill for me recognizing the music in that 3rd movement. Even more Cowboy Bebop! How fun! There's no ballad yet, which is a little bit concerning, but my guess is they'll still win this thing, even if they are scrambling to get the ballad on the field and don't have much time to clean.

Maybe just over 80 this time for the winning score? I'd be pleasantly surprised if it approaches that boffo 86+ score from last season. That show was VERY polished early season, musically and visually.

15 hours ago, Rubisco said:

listened in to TWHS just now. There was definitely a little thrill for me recognizing the music in that 3rd movement. Even more Cowboy Bebop! How fun! There's no ballad yet, which is a little bit concerning, but my guess is they'll still win this thing, even if they are scrambling to get the ballad on the field and don't have much time to clean.

radio, i'm guessing? i hope they do well here. it would be a nice confidence boost for the kids and the staff.

honestly i'd be perfectly happy if they're able to maintain a late season finalist quality, which i think is a strong possibility. i don't care if they place in the top half at San Antonio or win the armadillo or whatever. make finals and build up from there. just do your best.

21 hours ago, Rubisco said:

I'm trying to figure out some pre-contest placements in my head. I still need to see Pearland. How are they looking this season? I know they've had some major director changes. Them and everyone else!

I listened in to TWHS just now. There was definitely a little thrill for me recognizing the music in that 3rd movement. Even more Cowboy Bebop! How fun! There's no ballad yet, which is a little bit concerning, but my guess is they'll still win this thing, even if they are scrambling to get the ballad on the field and don't have much time to clean.

Maybe just over 80 this time for the winning score? I'd be pleasantly surprised if it approaches that boffo 86+ score from last season. That show was VERY polished early season, musically and visually.

Sorry a little confused, was it Pearland or TWHS that got the director changes, originally thought TWHS. There aren't many vids easy to find on YouTube for the bands going to this BOA. The majority of them already being posted on this forum. Send anymore found! BOA is this week!

20 minutes ago, ExtremeCream said:

Sorry a little confused, was it Pearland or TWHS that got the director changes, originally thought TWHS. There aren't many vids easy to find on YouTube for the bands going to this BOA. The majority of them already being posted on this forum. Send anymore found! BOA is this week!

The Woodlands did lose their head director this year. Haven’t heard anything about Pearland losing theirs but they may have as well, but definitely TW. Regardless, they are amazing as ever!

1 minute ago, Tubalord11 said:

The Woodlands did lose their head director this year. Haven’t heard anything about Pearland losing theirs but they may have as well, but definitely TW. Regardless, they are amazing as ever!

Their performances so far definitely reflecting that it didn't even seem to make a dent into those marchers. Huge props to them

Gosh, I don't even know what my predictions for this event would look like. I don't feel like I've seen nearly enough of the bands to predict anything, or enough of their shows, either.

I just attempted to find videos on YouTube again for Pearland, Dawson, SFA, and Tompkins. Nothing!

Pearland's director changes could be scary, but they could also be a chance for amazing new beginnings, so we'll have to wait and see. They were the one other Houston group to make finals at SA last year, although they underplaced expectations at North Houston. Could they challenge for the top? I think the door is ever so slightly open for a challenger. But I also suspect it will be hard to overcome TWHS in content/GE and visual.

24 minutes ago, Rubisco said:

Gosh, I don't even know what my predictions for this event would look like. I don't feel like I've seen nearly enough of the bands to predict anything, or enough of their shows, either.

I just attempted to find videos on YouTube again for Pearland, Dawson, SFA, and Tompkins. Nothing!

Pearland's director changes could be scary, but they could also be a chance for amazing new beginnings, so we'll have to wait and see. They were the one other Houston group to make finals at SA last year, although they underplaced expectations at North Houston. Could they challenge for the top? I think the door is ever so slightly open for a challenger. But I also suspect it will be hard to overcome TWHS in content/GE and visual.

Pearland's new head director is the former director of bands from SFAs 2017 through 2021 seasons. During his time there the band resurfaced in BOA Houston finals, made BOA St. Louis finals, and was a state participant in 2018 and 2021, and this was all with a band that never had more than 90 winds on the field. I think Pearland will be just fine if not stronger in the coming years. 

52 minutes ago, Rubisco said:

I’ve seen all 4.

Pearland is strong in visual but not as strong in Music as they have been.

Tompkins is about where they have been.

SFA and Dawson have staff from the 2008-2012ish era of SFA. They both sound very good but need time to clean visually.