2022 BOA Houston (Sept. 24)

2 hours ago, Houston213 said:

yall Klein Oak has a video out of their 2022 show and they sound fantastic omg!!

I'm loving this beefier sound! Sometimes it gets away from them a bit, but I like the attempt. Flags are pretty... uh... Jackson Pollock at this point in time. That's to be expected though. It's really early, plus that's where the most inexperienced guard members are. I bet they're much cleaner by the time this contest rolls around.

1 minute ago, Rubisco said:

I'm loving this beefier sound! Sometimes it gets away from them a bit, but I like the attempt. Flags are pretty... uh... Jackson Pollock at this point in time. That's to be expected though. It's really early, plus that's where the most inexperienced guard members are. I bet they're much cleaner by the time this contest rolls around.

Jackson Pollock 🤣

On 8/21/2022 at 11:41 PM, yayband914 said:

I posted mine in the HornRank forums a few weeks ago, with some minor updates here.

Even though The Woodlands had two director changes for this upcoming year, I have no doubt this show is theirs to lose. Places 2-4 could really go either way. Klein Oak had a phenomenal season last year and seem to be on the rise, along with Wylie East, who narrowly outscored the former at San Antonio, and also has a mostly new design team. Pearland has also been through some director changes, and took 11th at this very contest last year after being 3rd in music and 15th in visual for prelims, before shooting up to 3rd at Katy the following week after cleaning some things. A fluke? Perhaps. While early season trends do come into play, I still can't see them placing out of the top 5 here, barring another bad run.

The rest really is a crapshoot from there. We could definitely see bands like Obra D. Tompkins, Clear Brook and Bridgeland make finals here, too. 

1. The Woodlands H.S., TX
2. Klein Oak H.S., TX
3. Wylie East H.S., TX
4. Pearland H.S., TX
5. James E. Taylor H.S., TX
6. Oak Ridge H.S., TX
7. Cy-Fair H.S., TX
8. James Martin H.S., TX
9. Dawson H.S., TX
10. College Park H.S., TX
11. Friendswood H.S., TX
12. Stephen F. Austin H.S., TX

Friendswood did great last season, don't count them out of a top 8

I see can also see the Fort Bend Schools (SAF + Clements) being up there in the top 7.

Does anyone have any news on how the Katy ISD Schools are doing? (Jordan, 7L, JET)

47 minutes ago, ExtremeCream said:

Friendswood did great last season, don't count them out of a top 8

I see can also see the Fort Bend Schools (SAF + Clements) being up there in the top 7.

Does anyone have any news on how the Katy ISD Schools are doing? (Jordan, 7L, JET)

I also can see James Martin placing high here, but they have some INCREDIBLY inconsistent designs. in 2019 that show could have placed in the top half here but on 2018 and 2021 they were not really on the map

7 minutes ago, Cityscapes said:

I also can see James Martin placing high here, but they have some INCREDIBLY inconsistent designs. in 2019 that show could have placed in the top half here but on 2018 and 2021 they were not really on the map

True. In 2016, they placed 19th at SA so they have the potential. You never really know where they'll end up each year.

27 minutes ago, Cityscapes said:

As a result of that, even me as an alumni have no idea where to put them, I think with a close to full show by Houston they can make finals, I just hope they’re able to grow throughout the season, and continue to clean. I’ve only heard their opener on the field, and they handled themselves well for their first football game performance in front of a crowd. A little softer sound than either their 2021 group or 2019 group, but I feel less is more with them this year. Placing well at this Houston show will definitely bode well for them in their October contests so that’s my hope!!🙏🙏

Bands I've seen so far:

The Woodlands show is called "Mad Mod Go" spy theme show I've heard? - music is always good from taht school, guard is killing it on the field, marching a bit easier and more in blocks but they will probably do very well in this contest.

Klein Oak show is called "Stir the Pot" - Big sounds coming from this band and killer trombone solo which I am obsessed with. Probably in the top 5 or even 3 this year at this contest. 

Oak Ridge show is called "Up Up and away" only heard their opener and are off to a good start from that stand point. clean and big sounds

JET - pretty decent. I agree lots of potential 

Jordan - Improving, I love watching the new bands get better each year

Cy Fair show is called "Vanish" - very interesting, the sounds are a bit wild but if controlled they can place high in this contest

College Park - Love this band I can see them in finals for sure, pretty good sounds in general as expected from the CPHS

Bridgeland show is called "525,600 Minutes" - this drill is probably harder than all the other bands I have seen on this list so far and if cleaned can probably secure a finalist spot, also some big sounds and wow lot of guard members.

7 hours ago, packwick said:

Jordan packs quiiiite the punch for a somewhat smaller group. wow. was not expecting that. i absolutely love the energy. they're blasting away, but with pretty good technical accuracy. interesting bits of Metheny in the mix.

i find Cy Fair's show pretty evocative. the contrast between the big, lush, sometimes angular brass and the more playful, delicate woodwinds is appealing for sure, in addition to all the dreamy percussion stuff. i wanna see this one from higher up.

methinks twhs is already improving musically, if tonight's stream can be trusted. fewer unfocused stickouts, and they didn't fall apart at the tempo change w/ a metronome. hooray! ha. brass sounds quite good in parts, i like the very beginning the most. nice tones, nice blending, nice matching of the energy and articulations b/w the different voices. still could be bigger and more dramatic in those unison standstill moments, like the forte seems more like a mezzo forte, but making good sounds = 1st priority. no pit, odd, but at least i could tell what the drumline was trying to do after the first hit this time. still kinda hard to hear the woodwinds, but they seem to be doing a good job matching the brass stylistically.

if you're gonna do a lot o' blocks, u need to make sure you're covered down. guard also needs to be more cognizant of intervals as they travel, as in the 3 rifle lines that move across from side 1. middle one in particular. tricky to mind your spacing as you're spinning rifles into the air i'm sure, but u gotta do it.

The Pit probably wasn’t brought out because it was still raining.  They almost left the woodwinds instruments in cases in the stands.   There was a lightning delay and steady rain the entire first half.  Cleared up enough to pull the woodwinds instruments out for the performance and then dry and put them back away for the second half.  

2 hours ago, Bandmomx4 said:

The Pit probably wasn’t brought out because it was still raining.  They almost left the woodwinds instruments in cases in the stands.   There was a lightning delay and steady rain the entire first half.  Cleared up enough to pull the woodwinds instruments out for the performance and then dry and put them back away for the second half.  

ah you're right. i see some isolated ponchos and umbrellas here and there. it was my first guess, i just didn't see any rain, + woodwinds.