2022 BOA Katy (Oct. 1)

The 2022 Bands of America Katy (Houston II) Regional will be held on Saturday, October 1 at Katy ISD’s Legacy Stadium. 

Schedule as of 8/31/22:

7:30 - Tomball Memorial H.S., TX
7:45 - Franklin H.S., TX
8:00 - Obra D. Tompkins H.S., TX
8:15 - Seven Lakes H.S., TX
8:30 - Friendswood H.S., TX
8:45 - Pearland H.S., TX
9:00 - Cypress Woods H.S., TX
9:15 - James E. Taylor H.S., TX
9:30 - Clear Springs H.S., TX

BREAK

10:30 - Lake Travis H.S., TX
10:45 - Clear Creek H.S., TX
11:00 - Clear Brook H.S., TX
11:15 - Paetow H.S., TX
11:30 - Foster H.S., TX
11:45 - Stephen F. Austin H.S., TX
12:00 - Cy-Fair H.S., TX
12:15 - Liberal Arts and Science Academy, TX
12:30 - Claudia Taylor Johnson H.S., TX
12:45 - Cypress Ranch H.S., TX

BREAK

1:45 - Cedar Ridge H.S., TX
2:00 - Cypress Park H.S., TX
2:15 - Cinco Ranch H.S., TX
2:30 - Cypress Falls H.S., TX
2:45 - Dawson H.S., TX
3:00 - Little Cypress-Mauriceville H.S., TX
3:15 - Katy H.S., TX
3:30 - Oak Ridge H.S., TX
3:45 - Churchill Fulshear H.S., TX
4:00 - Morton Ranch H.S., TX
4:15 - Brazoswood H.S., TX
4:30 - Ronald Reagan H.S., TX

Edited by LeanderMomma
Added schedule

• 1 month later...

Thought I might bring over some info from Hornrank forums in case some people don't frequent both! 

AS OF 01/21/2022

Confirmed (10):
Cedar Ridge H.S., TX (AAAA)
Claudia Taylor Johnson H.S., TX (AAAA)
Clear Springs H.S., TX (AAAA)
Dawson H.S., TX (AAAA)
Foster H.S., TX (AAA)
Friendswood H.S., TX (AAA)
James Bowie H.S., TX (AAAA)
Ronald Reagan H.S., TX (AAAA)
Weiss H.S., TX (AAAA)
Westwood H.S., TX (AAAA)

• 1 month later...
On 12/15/2021 at 3:26 PM, LeanderMomma said:

The 2022 Bands of America Katy (Houston II) Regional will be held on Saturday, October 1 at Katy ISD’s Legacy Stadium. 

As of 7/19/22 there are 31 confirmed bands:
Brazoswood H.S., TX (AAAA)
Cedar Ridge H.S., TX (AAAA)
Churchill Fulshear H.S., TX (AAA)
Cinco Ranch H.S., TX (AAAA)
Claudia Taylor Johnson H.S., TX (AAAA)
Clear Brook H.S., TX (AAAA)
Clear Creek H.S., TX (AAAA)
Clear Springs H.S., TX (AAAA)
Cy-Fair H.S., TX (AAAA)
Cypress Falls H.S., TX (AAAA)
Cypress Park H.S., TX (AAAA)
Cypress Ranch H.S., TX (AAAA)
Cypress Woods H.S., TX (AAAA)
Dawson H.S., TX (AAAA)
Foster H.S., TX (AAA)
Franklin H.S., TX (A)
Friendswood H.S., TX (AAA)
James E. Taylor H.S., TX (AAAA)
Katy H.S., TX (AAAA)
Lake Travis H.S., TX (AAAA)
Liberal Arts and Science Academy, TX (AA)
Little Cypress-Mauriceville H.S., TX (AA)
Morton Ranch H.S., TX (AAAA)
Oak Ridge H.S., TX (AAAA)
Obra D. Tompkins H.S., TX (AAAA)
Paetow H.S., TX (AAAA)
Pearland H.S., TX (AAAA)
Ronald Reagan H.S., TX (AAAA)
Seven Lakes H.S., TX (AAAA)
Stephen F. Austin H.S., TX (AAA)
Tomball Memorial H.S., TX (AAAA)

Participating bands have been added to the original post!

• 1 month later...

still really liking CTJ's opener music. actually creative, unlike most music arrangements for band. like who else actually plays around with source music this significantly? Guidry and Saucedo for sure, but hard to think of others who do it so regularly. after watching the high cam the visual program is difficult to read, moreso than last year. not much is clicking right now in the opener. chaaallenging stuff for sure. wondering what shape they'll be in on October 1st. clean enough to overtake Reagan? they could be rewarded for the difficulty too, like i think they prooobably were at SA last year.

17 minutes ago, packwick said:

still really liking CTJ's opener music. actually creative, unlike most music arrangements for band. like who else actually plays around with source music this significantly? Guidry and Saucedo for sure, but hard to think of others who do it so regularly. after watching the high cam the visual program is difficult to read, moreso than last year. not much is clicking right now in the opener. chaaallenging stuff for sure. wondering what shape they'll be in on October 1st. clean enough to overtake Reagan? they could be rewarded for the difficulty too, like i think they prooobably were at SA last year.

I personally have them wining over Regan this year snd taking music and GE and Regan visual 

There's a video of Reagan on YouTube. Really cool and interesting arrangement of Adagio for Strings to start the show. The band hides "In Plain Sight" behind a bunch of flags backfield. The movement out from behind them and the scurrying between them is really fun. Good performance, but I think CTJ is giving the stronger music performance right now. Hard to read the visual from this lower angle. Seems like a cool show again!

9 hours ago, Rubisco said:

There's a video of Reagan on YouTube. Really cool and interesting arrangement of Adagio for Strings to start the show. The band hides "In Plain Sight" behind a bunch of flags backfield. The movement out from behind them and the scurrying between them is really fun. Good performance, but I think CTJ is giving the stronger music performance right now. Hard to read the visual from this lower angle. Seems like a cool show again!

Do you have a video link for CTJ?

9 hours ago, Rubisco said:

Also, why do you even care? I've seen the advice you've given to directors on Discord the few times I've logged in. You're always accurate and insightful. You don't need my help. ;)

awwww, how uncharacteristically sweet of you. if only i were still demure. alas! i lost that circa 2015 after grad school.

21 minutes ago, Josegjr said:

Do you have a video link for CTJ?

u can find it searching for CTJ band on YT and sorting by date.

There's a better video of Reagan on YouTube from a full football game stream of the Reagan and Round Rock game. Actually, it's a perfect, pure high-cam!

It's not Secret World Part 3, but it is definitely in the post-2014 Reagan style. No bells and whistles, 80s poppified classical music, pure drill, with a dance team added to help fill the field. I think it's effective. I also think I would give both upstairs visual captions to Reagan right now. I sort of suspected that. Good clarity for this point in the season. One of the better guards, too. But CTJ's show is very difficult and exciting, and they could be rewarded for that. Also, the contest is 3 weeks away.

Edit: Actually, 4 weeks away. This is the 2nd Houston regional.

So cool to see the CFISD representation with 5 schools here! I saw a clip from a Cy-Woods rehearsal from a little over a week ago, and they looked nice and sounded very good for where they are in the season. This year's show is definitely quite a bit different from what they've done historically, but it seems like they've adapted to it well. I'm hoping them to have a similar showing here to BOA Conroe last year, where they placed unexpectedly high in both prelims and finals. I haven't seen any of the other schools in the district this year, but Cy-Fair had a good season last year as well, and Cy-Park has been doing very nicely for only being a few years old. I'm interested to see how Ranch and Falls will do- it's been a while since I remember seeing them compete with big name programs. Hopefully it's a sign that they're on an upwards trend as well!

1 hour ago, contrabassclarinet said:

So cool to see the CFISD representation with 5 schools here! I saw a clip from a Cy-Woods rehearsal from a little over a week ago, and they looked nice and sounded very good for where they are in the season. This year's show is definitely quite a bit different from what they've done historically, but it seems like they've adapted to it well. I'm hoping them to have a similar showing here to BOA Conroe last year, where they placed unexpectedly high in both prelims and finals. I haven't seen any of the other schools in the district this year, but Cy-Fair had a good season last year as well, and Cy-Park has been doing very nicely for only being a few years old. I'm interested to see how Ranch and Falls will do- it's been a while since I remember seeing them compete with big name programs. Hopefully it's a sign that they're on an upwards trend as well!

I would love to see cy woods in the upper half this year, their musicianship is fantastic

2 hours ago, certified reed eater said:

I would love to see cy woods in the upper half this year, their musicianship is fantastic

3 hours ago, contrabassclarinet said:

Cy-Falls actually had a very under the radar comeback year in 2021 with a 15th place finish at BOA Katy, a 2nd place finish at the Cypress Showcase, and a high placement in finals at area I, just a few spots shy of state. They only marched about 70 winds on the field, but their show came together better than any Cy-Falls show has since easily 2016. With a few more people in the band, a finals spot at a Houston area regional is not far off. 

On 12/15/2021 at 3:26 PM, LeanderMomma said:

Schedule as of 8/31/22:

7:30 - Tomball Memorial H.S., TX
7:45 - Franklin H.S., TX
8:00 - Obra D. Tompkins H.S., TX
8:15 - Seven Lakes H.S., TX
8:30 - Friendswood H.S., TX
8:45 - Pearland H.S., TX
9:00 - Cypress Woods H.S., TX
9:15 - James E. Taylor H.S., TX
9:30 - Clear Springs H.S., TX

BREAK

10:30 - Lake Travis H.S., TX
10:45 - Clear Creek H.S., TX
11:00 - Clear Brook H.S., TX
11:15 - Paetow H.S., TX
11:30 - Foster H.S., TX
11:45 - Stephen F. Austin H.S., TX
12:00 - Cy-Fair H.S., TX
12:15 - Liberal Arts and Science Academy, TX
12:30 - Claudia Taylor Johnson H.S., TX
12:45 - Cypress Ranch H.S., TX

BREAK

1:45 - Cedar Ridge H.S., TX
2:00 - Cypress Park H.S., TX
2:15 - Cinco Ranch H.S., TX
2:30 - Cypress Falls H.S., TX
2:45 - Dawson H.S., TX
3:00 - Little Cypress-Mauriceville H.S., TX
3:15 - Katy H.S., TX
3:30 - Oak Ridge H.S., TX
3:45 - Churchill Fulshear H.S., TX
4:00 - Morton Ranch H.S., TX
4:15 - Brazoswood H.S., TX
4:30 - Ronald Reagan H.S., TX

Edited the OP to include the schedule. Very exciting lineup here!

• 2 weeks later...

Saw CTJ on a football stream from tonight’s game. The pre show is long but really keeps my attention and I love how cinematic it feels. Also just love the arrangement of all the Holst stuff, the whole opener is fantastic. The E.T. reference was cute….I just hope the show doesn’t get lost in the “everything but the kitchen sink” approach that CTJ is prone to. My excitement wanes in the ballad, as it is centered around a vocal duet. 

10 hours ago, Origin said:

Saw CTJ on a football stream from tonight’s game. The pre show is long but really keeps my attention and I love how cinematic it feels. Also just love the arrangement of all the Holst stuff, the whole opener is fantastic. The E.T. reference was cute….I just hope the show doesn’t get lost in the “everything but the kitchen sink” approach that CTJ is prone to. My excitement wanes in the ballad, as it is centered around a vocal duet. 

E.T. bit was amusing. For me, the ballad just doesn't really fit very well with what came before it. This wouldn't be an issue if there were a smoother transition into it. Also, I'm not totally in love with the arrangement or the singing. The song has been made extra dramatic in a syrupy kind of way.

I still find the opener music very engaging. Visual is definitely getting cleaner!