Coppell

Keller/ Timber Creek

Timber Creek/ Keller 

LD Bell

Waxahachie

Lone Star

Rock Hill

James Martin 

I know this is probably very incorrect. The likelihood of actual movement between bottom and top half is very small. 

I was there in person and live in Keller isd and Keller had some serious issues tonight in person, don’t see them moving up.  Wasn’t crazy about Marcus’ show but it was technically correct for the most part.  Definitely agree with Hebron taking the first spot followed by flower mound.

On 9/24/2022 at 1:07 PM, sogeg said:

Well, I guess I'll get started with my personal predictions. For some background, I am a Keller alum ('22) and I haven't seen too much of any of these bands aside from Keller, so this is mostly guesswork based on last season and what I have heard pre-season. I am gonna be making the trip from my college down to see this contest.

1-2. Hebron and Flower Mound- No real surprises here, since these two have traded this regional since 2013. Personally I give Hebron a slight edge based on last year, but I've always been a sucker for their shows and FloMo tends to have a very strong product in the early season.

3-4. Marcus and Coppell- Again, no surprises- these two were in the top 5 at State and with Coppell's uphill climb I could see them taking the medal from Marcus. I still give a slight edge to Marcus due to the strength of their program in the early season, but I would love to be proven wrong.

5. Keller- After last year's fairly tame show, I am definitely excited for this one. They definitely seem to be going in the right direction, GE-wise. I don't have much context for the other bands, but I would imagine they are pretty solidly in 5th. With a good run, they might be able to jump to 4th, but in true Keller fashion, the show is definitely planned to peak late-season.

6-10. Timber Creek, L.D. Bell, Waxahachie, Southlake Carroll, Wakeland- While I feel fairly confident about the top 5, these next 5 will be all over the place. It's really hard to predict how this will end up- I could see Timber in 6th just as easily as I could see them in 10th, and the same goes for every band I have in this caption. I am definitely expecting this to be tight, with all of these band fighting for their spot in the top half.

11-12. Lone Star, Aledo, Highland Park- Granted, I am not too familiar with any of these programs (I have heard great things about HP, but not quite enough to warrant putting them higher up). I don't have too many strong opinions about this, so I will leave it at that lol.

Music- Hebron

Visual- FloMo

GE- Hebron

(Feel free to let me know if I missed anything- I am definitely very new to this, but I wanted to take a crack at it haha)

VERY QUICK amendments:

Hebron over FloMo VERY comfortably

Coppell over Marcus by a small amount- for some reason Marcus' music didn't have the same punch to it as last weekend.

Wakeland jumps up to 5th (STILL want them to play a bit more conservatively at some bits, but their ballad really won me over this time)

Keller crosses the gap by a small margin

Bell- didn't love their musical performance tonight but I could see them ahead of Keller by visual cleanliness

Waxahachie- LOVE this show

Timber- A little rough around the edges but still great

Lone Star- They shocked me tonight!

Rock Hill- SUCH a cute show

James Martin- Good show, and I am very glad they managed to crack finals

Hebron either sweeps or gives GE to FloMo

Wow, tonight was nuts. One of the best early season finals I have ever seen. Everyone who performed today and tonight should be incredibly proud!

1 minute ago, Origin said:

Could this be the start of an undefeated season for Hebron? 

I think it will be. They are well ahead of any other band right now with a show that is still not done yet. I could see Vandegrift, Cedar Ridge, or CTJ possibly making things interesting at San Antonio but no band comes close to Hebron in terms of music performance.

Hebron has cemented themselves as the best, if not, one of the best high school marching bands in America. I have no other words.

Also legitimately surprised Bell beat out Wakeland for 5th in prelims, but Wakeland overtook them in finals, which fell in line with my overall predictions. Bell's music still does need work, but their visual and GE was solid IMO, which is likely why they stayed in the top half.

Still in shock over Carroll's miss, but they will be fine. They're still a very strong program, and they'll continue to improve as the season goes on.

Congrats to every band tonight!

28 minutes ago, Minimaster said:

Hebron pops an 89.6

A quick look at MFA’s site shows that the DFW regional record was a 92 by LD Bell in 2001 contest. Incidentally, that was the earliest DFW regional I found. Hebron’s 89.6 is the second highest on record at this regional. 

First impressions looking at the scores aside from Hebron/FloMo is that I expected a smaller gap between Coppell/Marcus and a smaller gap between LD Bell/Keller. But Marcus is extraordinarily clean right now and the top half/bottom half split is just so hard to overcome nowadays. I do think by the end of the season Coppell could overtake Marcus if they're able to clean their visuals up more, pending both bands putting a complete show on the field.

amazing Hebron! just 0.1 shy of that Oct 5th Reagan score in 2019.

a liiiittle surprised it was music GE that gave FM the GE win in prelims, thought it would be visual, but Czapinski gave Hebron an 18 in that, before dropping them below a 17 when switching to ens vis perf. upstairs visual still their lowest captions, buuut i feel like their entertaining and virtuosic music will carry them just fine late season. 

35 minutes ago, sogeg said:

Definitely surprised by the size of some of these gaps! Especially Coppell and Marcus! The Keller alum in me is a bit disappointed about how things played out- but hey! It's just band, and everyone should be incredibly happy with how they did tonight!

(Also- don't be quick to count Keller out of great things. They have the two most valuable assets a band can have- room to grow and time! So proud of my band family!!)

I have a relative in the Keller band and after they performed, he texted me saying how ecstatic they were with their performance and everyone thinking they could make a comeback.

That was great to hear, even though I knew they likely wouldn’t make a jump in placements. Not only because of the top half/bottom half split, but because there is still a lot of room for improvement. Hope the show grows a lot by SA!