2022 BOA DFW (Oct. 8)

1 hour ago, DallasFan said:

Only time I can recall lately, although this wasn't BOA, but Marcus went from 7th in prelims at state to 3rd in finals at state. Something to note, state was not top half bottom half last year.

State is not even close to the same as BOA. I've seen bands make significant changes for the SA BOA and UIL State shows.

1 hour ago, cjm715 said:

I’ve seen the opposite actually, in 2013 coppell went from 6th in prelims to 12th in finals at san antonio.

This was prior to the top half/bottom half draw rule being implemented. It went into effect in the 2016 season, following Hebron’s unlucky draw time at national finals the year before.

9 hours ago, Raydurs said:

As much as I can be biased towards Bell, I can probably grasp what will go down in finals.
This is looking to be yet again another cleanliness battle but this time bands are getting stronger than before.

1. Flower Mound (they're gonna have everything on the field and they're gonna bring it down. it being the villains in the superband lore. they will probably sweep)
2. Hebron (if you've seen hebron lately, it isn't clean also i don't think they'll have the full thing on the field by then. they'll probably be way cleaner than what i've seen before but has the potential to still beat marcus. if they actually clean, they'll dominate sa and state. i don't think they will be winning either just bc we have cedar freaking ridge and vandy bandy but this is an entirety different subject)
3. Marcus (marcus. i don't understand this show and never will. they sound and look fine but they PIVOT! i wouldn't think much about them dropping lower)
4. Keller (i've seen most of this show already. they will have the closer on the field which will help them a lot. lots of good ge moments like the bikes. also this show makes no sense to my head. it's either i'm too stupid or this show requires an sat score of 1600 to understand)
5. Coppell (they'll be fine. i personally think keller will be cleaner than coppell but it will definitely be close. i also don't understand what's going on during archetype. also the closer is gonna be scuffed. i believe they recently had a closer rewrite [not entirely] which sounds way better than the original but man i feel bad for beethoven.)
6. Wakeland (personally my biggest hot take. but here's the thing with them at heb. they had the whole show on the field for that. the only thing they can really do for dfw is just clean so we'll see how that holds up. heb and dfw judging are completely different. also their show isn't as hard as the other bands here)

7. Timber Creek (seeing this show so many times. a band i once considered my enemy is now one of my favorite bands so i may be a little biased. they look clean and sound clean. they can push sound for sure. the catch is that the show isn't very visually difficult compared to ld bell. musically however, they are playing some good stuff. they also have the full show on the field so it's cleaning time!)
8. L.D. Bell (visually pretty strong, musically not so much. typical bell! with vento replacing cartwright, i'm not sure exactly how the ge score will play out. this is definitely the 2nd best show i've seen from vento. bell has a lot to offer and looks pretty decent so far. the attitude there has definitely changed from what i remember in 2019. they will have A closer on a field which will definitely help out their scores. but hey i gotta be realistic here, all i can do is cope for bell making top half)
9. Southlake Carroll (idk anything about them so go cry about it. also nats show, 0 clue on how they are doing but still has the potential to beat l.d. bell)
10. Waxahachie (haven't seen or heard from them other than the music for the show. interesting take on debussy, goofy part 2, and yeah that's about all i can say. also waxahachie boa moment)
11. Aledo (seen them. they clean i guess. show is alright, not my time. it's aledo! they could do better than waxahachie, it's really in the air but i can sense that they'll be fine. show looks more interesting than lone star tbh)
12. Lone Star (music is alright. here's the only thing i can complain and whine about ls is that basically the entire band basically stays in front of the front hash/midfield. judging from what i've watched, i barely see them go further back so there's my grain of salt. also they cleanish?)

13. Highland Park (whine about it. first to go. they're done for. also, i think their show is mid but that's just me. go cry about it)
14. Rock Hill (idk! the other prosper! ppl putting them so high for what? it ain't no sit down stand up so that's all i can say)
15. Lebanon Trail (idk idc it's frisco isd go cry to your mother about them building so many schools)
16. James Martin (no more coping. i can't keep defending this program as much as i want to. they could actually place a lot lower but this is still coping.)

i personally think my finalists predictions will be close enough. could potentially switch last few finalists with the bubbles but who knows! we'll find out saturday.

once this week is over, we have rough overview of how the overall marching season will go.

There will be tears, there will be cheers and I think there will be some surprises. Go cry about it! LOL. What we know for sure is that it's going to be an incredible day of band! 

12 hours ago, Raydurs said:

As much as I can be biased towards Bell, I can probably grasp what will go down in finals.
This is looking to be yet again another cleanliness battle but this time bands are getting stronger than before.

1. Flower Mound (they're gonna have everything on the field and they're gonna bring it down. it being the villains in the superband lore. they will probably sweep)
2. Hebron (if you've seen hebron lately, it isn't clean also i don't think they'll have the full thing on the field by then. they'll probably be way cleaner than what i've seen before but has the potential to still beat marcus. if they actually clean, they'll dominate sa and state. i don't think they will be winning either just bc we have cedar freaking ridge and vandy bandy but this is an entirety different subject)
3. Marcus (marcus. i don't understand this show and never will. they sound and look fine but they PIVOT! i wouldn't think much about them dropping lower)
4. Keller (i've seen most of this show already. they will have the closer on the field which will help them a lot. lots of good ge moments like the bikes. also this show makes no sense to my head. it's either i'm too stupid or this show requires an sat score of 1600 to understand)
5. Coppell (they'll be fine. i personally think keller will be cleaner than coppell but it will definitely be close. i also don't understand what's going on during archetype. also the closer is gonna be scuffed. i believe they recently had a closer rewrite [not entirely] which sounds way better than the original but man i feel bad for beethoven.)
6. Wakeland (personally my biggest hot take. but here's the thing with them at heb. they had the whole show on the field for that. the only thing they can really do for dfw is just clean so we'll see how that holds up. heb and dfw judging are completely different. also their show isn't as hard as the other bands here)

7. Timber Creek (seeing this show so many times. a band i once considered my enemy is now one of my favorite bands so i may be a little biased. they look clean and sound clean. they can push sound for sure. the catch is that the show isn't very visually difficult compared to ld bell. musically however, they are playing some good stuff. they also have the full show on the field so it's cleaning time!)
8. L.D. Bell (visually pretty strong, musically not so much. typical bell! with vento replacing cartwright, i'm not sure exactly how the ge score will play out. this is definitely the 2nd best show i've seen from vento. bell has a lot to offer and looks pretty decent so far. the attitude there has definitely changed from what i remember in 2019. they will have A closer on a field which will definitely help out their scores. but hey i gotta be realistic here, all i can do is cope for bell making top half)
9. Southlake Carroll (idk anything about them so go cry about it. also nats show, 0 clue on how they are doing but still has the potential to beat l.d. bell)
10. Waxahachie (haven't seen or heard from them other than the music for the show. interesting take on debussy, goofy part 2, and yeah that's about all i can say. also waxahachie boa moment)
11. Aledo (seen them. they clean i guess. show is alright, not my time. it's aledo! they could do better than waxahachie, it's really in the air but i can sense that they'll be fine. show looks more interesting than lone star tbh)
12. Lone Star (music is alright. here's the only thing i can complain and whine about ls is that basically the entire band basically stays in front of the front hash/midfield. judging from what i've watched, i barely see them go further back so there's my grain of salt. also they cleanish?)

13. Highland Park (whine about it. first to go. they're done for. also, i think their show is mid but that's just me. go cry about it)
14. Rock Hill (idk! the other prosper! ppl putting them so high for what? it ain't no sit down stand up so that's all i can say)
15. Lebanon Trail (idk idc it's frisco isd go cry to your mother about them building so many schools)
16. James Martin (no more coping. i can't keep defending this program as much as i want to. they could actually place a lot lower but this is still coping.)

i personally think my finalists predictions will be close enough. could potentially switch last few finalists with the bubbles but who knows! we'll find out saturday.

once this week is over, we have rough overview of how the overall marching season will go.

#16 hits close to home for me, my dude, didn’t have to hurt me like that🥲😂

4 hours ago, VinoGirl said:

There will be tears, there will be cheers and I think there will be some surprises. Go cry about it! LOL. What we know for sure is that it's going to be an incredible day of band! 

the fact that this year will actually be a bloodbath is really gripping my brain now. there will definitely be tons of surprises and twists and turns. at the end of the day, it's really up to the students if they're determined to do incredible.

i looove FMs meta concept and they're probably cleaner than Hebron. i'm actually leaning toward Hebron tho. their show has a lot of character. love the cute little sailboats that they ride around in. goin' on an Odyssey. music is super virtuosic again, not totally clean yet, but god the matching of the energy and articulations b/w the voices is fantastic considering how hard it is. some parts sound more show-offy than musical, like the opening soprano sax stuff, a bit too much for me at times, doesn't fully fit in, but it'll dazzle others. opener is kinda swashbuckling which i love, then we shift to a really jazzy more up-tempo than usual ballad. really cool. visual program seems overall similar to last few years. guard = much improved.

Looking at the program notes for the contest, titles and repertoire for each group, one that really caught my eye was Waxahachie, going all with the Paris theme, love that they’re doing the Ratatouille main theme and Paris Sketches along with it, very lovely music choices and I can’t wait to hear what they do with them!

1. Hebron: they'll win GE and music if they get their whole show on the field as well as overall 1st, just gotta be clean (which definitely wont be a problem if they do get it in). soloists sound amazing, and definitely executed up to the quality from their past shows

2. Flomo: same thing, if Hebron doesn't have their whole show gold medal might be up for grabs, but i do think Hebron will have a solid chance at breaking Flomo's 3 year streak in this comp. and will probably come out with visual either way

3. Marcus: a bit confused on the whole show and the design, but hey, it looks and sounds good

4. Coppell: love their show design, and could honestly see them getting 3rd, but again Marcus is just so clean

5. Keller: see them around the same area with Marcus/Coppell/Wakeland, but personally their show is my favorite out of the 4 and i just love their alto soloist

6. Wakeland: honestly a good contender for anything from 4-6, although i don't see them beating marcus. also, i just love that ballad with wayfaring stranger, they executed it amazingly, could see them in front of Keller/Coppell if they've cleaned their show as much as the other groups

7.  TC: i'm pretty confident on the bands that will be getting top half, but the next four could go any way. saw them live at HEB, think they look pretty clean but i personally don't like the music, just a little bit lacking to find themselves a place alongside the bands in the top half

8. SLC: havent seen their show, but theyll do fine

9. LD Bell: i think they reused their ladders from their show last year? not too sure but the design is overall pretty solid

10. Waxahachie: love the vibe of their whole show, but could still see Aledo being ahead by just a bit

11. Aledo: not too sure about them since i haven't seen their show. many people seem to have Lone Star and Highland Park above them, but ill go ahead and place them where they would usually be

12. LT: havent seen their show, but they've always been solid. i think they have a good chance at finals in this comp

13. Highland Park: i've heard their program isn't as strong this year, although i do think they'll give LT some good competition for that spot in finals, but haven't seen their show yet this year, so it could go either way

14. Lone Star: heard good things about them, although i really dont like shows with pop music in them but hey, you can disagree. also they sounds pretty decent, but dont do much moving around and are pretty much parked in the same area for the whole show

15. Rock Hill: not too familiar with this school, although im pretty sure theyre decently new

16. James Martin: haven't seen their show, and don't really know where to place them

overall pretty confident about the top half of the finalists, and the order will probably shift just a little bit. bottom half will be iffy. there's gonna be a lot of competition, and wouldn't even be too surprised if someone like Highland Park took a spot in the finals. 

On 10/4/2022 at 5:16 PM, Brego said:

On a personal note, I have questioned the top/bottom performance split for finals for just this reason... if you're in the bottom, its virtually impossible to move up. Plenty of movement within the two groups of 1-6 and 7-12 (for example, Oak Ridge going from 8th to 12th and Seven Lakes going from 12th to 7th), but rarely any movement between the groups.

Give me top half and bottom half at every finals in every contest. Hebron loses Grand Nats because this rule wasn’t in place. I believe this also happened to Broken Arrow once.