2022 BOA DFW (Oct. 8)

1 hour ago, slowbrass said:

Just saw Hebron’s halftime performance. Visually they’ve never looked this good imo. Really strong design this year. And the ballad should bring down the house by the end of the season.

Haven’t heard anything from them yet, only their show title, don’t know their repertoire for this year, but I am very excited to see them at HEB next week for sure!🔥🔥

On 9/24/2022 at 1:07 PM, sogeg said:

Well, I guess I'll get started with my personal predictions. For some background, I am a Keller alum ('22) and I haven't seen too much of any of these bands aside from Keller, so this is mostly guesswork based on last season and what I have heard pre-season. I am gonna be making the trip from my college down to see this contest.

1-2. Hebron and Flower Mound- No real surprises here, since these two have traded this regional since 2013. Personally I give Hebron a slight edge based on last year, but I've always been a sucker for their shows and FloMo tends to have a very strong product in the early season.

3-4. Marcus and Coppell- Again, no surprises- these two were in the top 5 at State and with Coppell's uphill climb I could see them taking the medal from Marcus. I still give a slight edge to Marcus due to the strength of their program in the early season, but I would love to be proven wrong.

5. Keller- After last year's fairly tame show, I am definitely excited for this one. They definitely seem to be going in the right direction, GE-wise. I don't have much context for the other bands, but I would imagine they are pretty solidly in 5th. With a good run, they might be able to jump to 4th, but in true Keller fashion, the show is definitely planned to peak late-season.

6-10. Timber Creek, L.D. Bell, Waxahachie, Southlake Carroll, Wakeland- While I feel fairly confident about the top 5, these next 5 will be all over the place. It's really hard to predict how this will end up- I could see Timber in 6th just as easily as I could see them in 10th, and the same goes for every band I have in this caption. I am definitely expecting this to be tight, with all of these band fighting for their spot in the top half.

11-12. Lone Star, Aledo, Highland Park- Granted, I am not too familiar with any of these programs (I have heard great things about HP, but not quite enough to warrant putting them higher up). I don't have too many strong opinions about this, so I will leave it at that lol.

Music- Hebron

Visual- FloMo

GE- Hebron

(Feel free to let me know if I missed anything- I am definitely very new to this, but I wanted to take a crack at it haha)

Highland Park could probably score higher tbh, they are very good. 

Not that this matters too much but they are SO loud for such a small band

4 hours ago, ReveriesOp24 said:

Highland Park could probably score higher tbh, they are very good. 

Not that this matters too much but they are SO loud for such a small band

Totally! From what I've heard, they might actually find themselves in that 6-10 bubble, but only time will tell!

Good morning everyone! I’m super excited that I will be able to attend this event live again… crazy to think it’s already almost been a year since the last one! Everyone is already so good seeming, and I have a good feeling we may so bands in spots that we “aren’t use to seeing them in”. Here’s my predictions going into this weekend: 

1st: Hebron(All Captions)- Use, I know this contest usually goes to Flomo and it still might, but after seeing Flomo this past weekend at Wylie, I don’t think they will take it this year. 

2nd: FlowerMound

3rd: Wakeland: Yes I know this may be surprising to some, but I honestly believe they have what it takes to medal here. They were fantastic at HEB! It may be somewhat of a long shot, but not impossible. 
4th: Marcus 

5th: Coppell

6th: Keller 

7th: Southlake Carrol 

8th: L.D Bell 

9th: Timber Creek 

10th: Lone Star 

11th: Aledo 

12th: HP

Just something to note- LD Bell hasn’t placed outside the top half of finals here since…idk, ever?? Maybe sometime in the 90s? Lots have them missing top half here, mostly due to strong early season showings from other bands, but in my personal experience, every time I count LD Bell out I end up being wrong, especially at this contest. 

45 minutes ago, bingogooberman said:

Just something to note- LD Bell hasn’t placed outside the top half of finals here since…idk, ever?? Maybe sometime in the 90s? Lots have them missing top half here, mostly due to strong early season showings from other bands, but in my personal experience, every time I count LD Bell out I end up being wrong, especially at this contest. 

Bell has an interesting history of surprising people with a solid placement at their earlier contests. They seem to have become a wildcard here within the last 5 or so years. There’s also not much to see of Bell’s show online right now. Who knows! All of the groups will absolutely need to be on fire to get into finals on Saturday.

1 hour ago, bingogooberman said:

I currently have them placing 6th-7th at this contest, basing it off of past results and the rise of other bands like Coppell, Timber Creek, Waxahachie, etc. In my opinion they are still recovering from the pandemic (their size has been reduced a good amount these past two years) and staff changes (Van Mathews left in 2020 and was replaced by Suzanne Dell, and they now have Lindsey Vento as program coordinator instead of Cartwright), but I do think they still have a chance to make the top half. It will probably be a bit before we are seeing them back at 2019 level, though. Maybe 1-2 years more. 

4 hours ago, Tubalord11 said:

Good morning everyone! I’m super excited that I will be able to attend this event live again… crazy to think it’s already almost been a year since the last one! Everyone is already so good seeming, and I have a good feeling we may so bands in spots that we “aren’t use to seeing them in”. Here’s my predictions going into this weekend: 

1st: Hebron(All Captions)- Use, I know this contest usually goes to Flomo and it still might, but after seeing Flomo this past weekend at Wylie, I don’t think they will take it this year. 

2nd: FlowerMound

3rd: Wakeland: Yes I know this may be surprising to some, but I honestly believe they have what it takes to medal here. They were fantastic at HEB! It may be somewhat of a long shot, but not impossible. 
4th: Marcus 

5th: Coppell

6th: Keller 

7th: Southlake Carrol 

8th: L.D Bell 

9th: Timber Creek 

10th: Lone Star 

11th: Aledo 

12th: HP

Saw a video of flower mound from this past weekend and I honestly see them dropping to 3rd, below Marcus, I think the musical production is a lot more bare than other groups weighing and depending heavily on their percussion,  from what I saw performed at Wylie at least. They’re more than likely adding more to their closer by Saturday and that might help, but Marcus was incredibly solid this past weekend with a more involved musical production in all and a more put together show imo personally, they’ve come out really strong this year. Wakeland and Coppell are strong contenders for top 3 as well with a dark horse potentially in Keller too, just my opinion at least

27 minutes ago, Vidal28 said:

Saw a video of flower mound from this past weekend and I honestly see them dropping to 3rd, below Marcus, I think the musical production is a lot more bare than other groups weighing and depending heavily on their percussion,  from what I saw performed at Wylie at least. They’re more than likely adding more to their closer by Saturday and that might help, but Marcus was incredibly solid this past weekend with a more involved musical production in all and a more put together show imo personally, they’ve come out really strong this year. Wakeland and Coppell are strong contenders for top 3 as well with a dark horse potentially in Keller too, just my opinion at least

Totally agree! Would be super surprised if the scores within the top groups aren’t really close… or at least loser than normal! Marcus definitely could take Flomo as well! 

1 hour ago, Niceone said:

Has band ever moved from bottom half to top half in prelims to finals?

Not in Texas yet this year, and I don't think there was movement between top/bottom in Texas last year. From what I can see only 1 band in any BoA contest this season has pushed from the bottom half to the top half, and that was Dublin Coffman H.S. moving from 7th in prelims to 6th in finals in Toledo 2 weeks ago (Plymouth-Canton dropped from 5th to 9th, which is likely what allowed them to move up).

On a personal note, I have questioned the top/bottom performance split for finals for just this reason... if you're in the bottom, its virtually impossible to move up. Plenty of movement within the two groups of 1-6 and 7-12 (for example, Oak Ridge going from 8th to 12th and Seven Lakes going from 12th to 7th), but rarely any movement between the groups.

9 hours ago, bingogooberman said:

I looked it up and the last (and only) time they placed outside the top half of finals at this contest was in 1991...make of that what you will

I don’t know how well Bell will fair this year, being an alumni of the program I want to see them do very well of course. A lot of people were saying that they wouldn’t do too well at this contest last year and they did just fine. It sounds like however a lot of bands made a very strong showcase at Heb this weekend. I’m not sure how everyone compares since BOA sheets will be all different but the fight for the 6th spot will be pretty intense I will say.

18 hours ago, Niceone said:

Has band ever moved from bottom half to top half in prelims to finals?

The biggest instance of this I can think of is Reagan at the SA super in 2017. 8th in prelims and then 5th in finals. In retrospect that one feels more like a corrected error from prelims but it's possible that they had an uncharacteristically bad run. I feel that results have been more consistent overall since the change but the score gap between 7 and 6 or 8 and 7 is an unfortunate by-product.

1. Hebron(GE, Music, Tie Visual with Marcus)
2. Marcus(Tie Visual with Hebron)
3. Flower Mound
4. Coppell
5. Keller
6. Wakeland
7. Timber Creek
8. L.D. Bell
9. Southlake Carroll
10. Waxahachie
11. Lone Star
12. HP

Those are my predictions, I hate giving predictions when I haven’t seen some of the groups in Hebron, Bell, Waxahachie, Carroll and Highland Park, don’t wanna sell anyone short! But then again, making finals here is definitely a tough task, several more great groups on the outside bubble looking in for sure.