2022 BOA North Texas (Oct. 15)

10 minutes ago, josephbandfan said:

I feel the same way. Besides the LISD trio of course. 

I mainly think it’s due to them not being as prolific in BOA, many skip out on the BOA San Antonio party haha. Although they’re continuing to improve in that area as well, people need to look out👀

2 hours ago, Vidal28 said:

And yet still slept on somehow? Maybe it’s just me haha

Yeah, I mentioned earlier in the season that there is a tendency to overrate Austin area bands in comparison to DFW bands and I think a large part of that is that many of the great programs don't participate as heavily in BOA or attend San Antonio.  

9 minutes ago, LostChoirGuy said:

Yeah, I mentioned earlier in the season that there is a tendency to overrate Austin area bands in comparison to DFW bands and I think a large part of that is that many of the great programs don't participate as heavily in BOA or attend San Antonio.  

I think that's a tough claim to support.

47 minutes ago, LostChoirGuy said:

I don't know if I'd say that Austin is overrated, more like DFW can sometimes be underrated. Just looking at last year's SMBC, 4 of the top 5 in 6A were DFW and 5 finalists from 5A were DFW area as well. There was also a period of time in the late 5A/early 6A where Lewisville ISD just swept medals or got as close to it as possible. DFW definitely has pockets of phenomenal bands that don't get exposed because of them not attending BOA or contests outside of the DFW

With that being said, the Austin area is home to some equally as good bands historically like James Bowie and Cedar Park as well as newer programs like Vandegrift and Cedar Ridge. Both areas feature phenomenal programs that are just as good as the top bands in Dallas

1 hour ago, LostChoirGuy said:

Austin has two bands in this contest. One swept captions and won 4a and the other got 3rd. 

1 hour ago, peshbandkid said:

I don't know if I'd say that Austin is overrated, more like DFW can sometimes be underrated. Just looking at last year's SMBC, 4 of the top 5 in 6A were DFW and 5 finalists from 5A were DFW area as well. There was also a period of time in the late 5A/early 6A where Lewisville ISD just swept medals or got as close to it as possible. DFW definitely has pockets of phenomenal bands that don't get exposed because of them not attending BOA or contests outside of the DFW

With that being said, the Austin area is home to some equally as good bands historically like James Bowie and Cedar Park as well as newer programs like Vandegrift and Cedar Ridge. Both areas feature phenomenal programs that are just as good as the top bands in Dallas

There is a lot of parity to be had within all the major regions, what I’m about to say is greatly due to DFW being a mega-region compared to Austin and San Antonio simply being smaller, but there is a LOT of depth to go around in DFW, and yeah like you and i have said, they don’t indulge the major out of Area contests like BOA all that much, but that’s definitely changing more and more with the newer Waco Midland and DFW II regionals, so many more schools are giving it a try. Austin Area also just punches everyone in the face for attention with their amazing BOA regional typically being first on the calendar. Some shine is taken away from all the great groups up here, but give them credit, they show out for the state of Texas in a great way. I’m up here in DFW so, rah rah DFW all the way over here, don’t mind us being like “hey look at us too” as long as it’s not disrespectful haha.

19 minutes ago, LostChoirGuy said:

I'd like to clarify because my post came out wrong.  I don't think Austin area groups in general are overrated.  I just meant when there are events that combine Austin and DFW bands together and people are coming up with predictions based on previous events, I think the DFW ones are sometimes overlooked.  For instance, I see stuff like the 9th-12th team at BOA Austin ranked ahead of the 5th-8th from DFW on lots of predictions.

This is the main circumstance where I see this happen, butttt of course every year brings something different to the table, and I think DFW bands being more present in those huge contests will definitely serve them well when facing off against the Austin groups that do BOA year in and year out.