2022 WGI Discussion Thread (Non-Face-Mask Edition?)

Westlake is in 1st so far in Scholastic A, but it's close. The top of every block has pretty much gotten a score of 92. Friendswood was actually 2nd place in their block, but not too far behind. Bridgeland won their block and have the 4th highest score so far. It's nice to see them surge. Southlake Carroll also cracked 90. Great performances all around.

Sorting all these A groups out in semis will be fun for the judges, I'm sure.

WOW! Liberty HS just blew me away! Easily the best group so far in SA from what I've seen. They had the audience on their feet. What was interesting was that their floor was a small circle and even performed beyond that circle. (Didn't know that was allowed). Liverpool HS also did really good and got the crowd going even before they started.

PDCMS is so talented. They're hanging with the top A groups this year. But it's a shame the staff haven't yet figured out how to harness that talent at the high school level. (The middle school has been exceptional for years now.) There's a James Logan program waiting to be born.

Noblesville gets the award for making me stop on my way to watch other guards. Like, you just see a few seconds of it and you're immediately drawn to the performance. Very impressive!

Yeah, the double rifles and the endless rifle ripple from Miamisburg are pretty awesome. And the show is so beautiful!

TWHS has moved up to 3rd after semis. Way to go! I've got my fingers crossed that this isn't James Bowie 2016 again. Scores are super close between 3rd and 4th (Miamisburg). 90.5 to 90.2. The finals panel will be both prelims and semis panels combined. Prelims did give Miamisburg a bigger edge, despite a stellar performance from TWHS, so yeah... fingers crossed!

If I were ranking them in effect, it would come out like Avon, TWHS, Miamisburg, Carmel, Fishers, Arcadia, and Tarpon Springs. Carmel's show, like Diamante's, is one I respect more than I like. But this semis panel had them awfully close to Avon, so there may be an upset in the making.

Actually, all the scores in SW are quite low this year. I'd probably have them about 3 points higher in finals, but even with that it would be the lowest scoring SW finals in like a decade.

Oh, also a shout-out to Fishers in 5th place again. Talk about an amazing improvement from 2020. And ahead of relatively recent gold medalist Tarpon Springs as well!

I do feel like Tarpon would be placing better with a show with clearer, more focused, less frantic staging.

Alright, all the semis events except Independent Open have concluded. (Those will go kind of late.) A class finals are underway, starting with Independent A. Congrats to the following TX guards on being named WGI finalists in their classes (class and semis placement in parentheses): Westlake HS (SA - 2nd), Friendswood HS (SA - 4th), Bridgeland HS (SA - 13th), Moe and Gene Johnson HS (SO - 5th), The Woodlands HS (SW - 3rd), Glory Independent (IA - 4th), ORIGINS (IW - 10th), and Invictus (IW - 15th). Awesome job! And best of luck in finals!

Congrats to Moe and Gene Johnson High School and ORIGINS Open on their 6th and 5th place finishes in the open classes! Amazing!

Team Texas is doing great, but "Team Florida" is the one that has really dominated the podium so far. 3 out of 4 gold medals, plus a couple other ones. 😲

World class finals is about to begin! For those who can't watch today, FloMarching will rebroadcast today's events tomorrow, 24 hours later, in addition to the live broadcast going on right now.

I'll be dipping in and out. I need to get at least some stuff done today!