2022 WGI Discussion Thread (Non-Face-Mask Edition?)

Interesting to note some things from marching season seemed to have bled into WGI. 

Vista Ridge with some high movement analysis scores coming from two seasons with very choreography heavy Vento shows despite tough placements in other captions.

Friendswood once again with very high GE scores compared to other captions, like we saw on their UIL design sheets.

Winston Churchill with some incredibly solid technical work in their fundamentals lagging in design and general effect, dragging their score down a little. Churchill has had these design issues for a couple of few years sadly.

Just a few noticings.

I think there are some things that we see in the marching season that bleed over to the winter guard season, like unique equipment skills, for example. But I'd be a little more hesitant to draw comparisons with the specific marching band scores, just because guard is rolled non-specifically into multiple captions in the fall marching band season.

Design stuff, maybe we can make comparisons for those groups that use the same designers/design teams for their winter guard shows as their marching shows. Michael Gaines writes for both Carmel's band and guard, for example. Their 2017 national championship show at BOA, Serenity, borrowed the swingset pieces from their WGI championship show earlier that year. I believe Avon uses (or used) Richard Hinshaw for both, and their 2015 oil show at BOA was repurposed for their world guard at WGI in 2016. But that's not always the case. The reason I brought up Vanderkolff earlier was because The Woodlands uses him for marching band, but I think typically the old Code Black team collaborates on their guard design, since their guard director was one of the directors of that group back in the day.

i didn't know Charlie retired from directing Pride. great guy, very fond memories from high school. i like that they're still innovating. i get sick of seeing the same crap over and over. have your whole guard do an exchange but with a saut de chat mid-air catch or something. something different, anything!

1 hour ago, packwick said:

also, i appreciate you doing this. i can't sit through an entire guard contest. too much bad music/treacly pop ballads. i'm like a fat guy on a chaise longue eating bonbons. i pretty much only watch the top independent world groups.

😂😂😂

You're welcome.

For those interested, here's a link to a document that answers many frequently asked questions related to WGI judging. If you've looked at the actual score sheets and don't know the various terminology, this may help.

https://wgi.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/19-FAQwKARLNotes.pdf

2 hours ago, Rubisco said:

😂😂😂

You're welcome.

For those interested, here's a link to a document that answers many frequently asked questions related to WGI judging. If you've looked at the actual score sheets and don't know the various terminology, this may help.

https://wgi.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/19-FAQwKARLNotes.pdf

Wow!  Amazing info, thank you!

Agreed on Coppell! They really brought a James Logan kind of energy to that performance. And the entire set was so delightful, with the Barbie boxes and the toys coming off the conveyor belts. Not a big fan of the music, but it fits the style of the show. They'll also need to clean it up significantly to close that gap with Marcus, which honestly seemed a little too big. Marcus' show was very elegant, though, and they gave the stronger performance tonight.

Loved McKinney. (We're getting a lot of rainbow eye floors this year!) Very clean and difficult and elegant. 83+ score! I don't remember if they're going to Nats or not, but that would put them probably at the top of the national rankings at the moment.

I also really liked Keller Central's Killer Bees show with the Rachmaninoff music.

Flower Mound gave a great (first-time) world class performance. I didn't catch the title. They've got a sort of fun-house mirrors backdrop that reflects the performers in interesting ways. Kind of raggedy looking black dresses to start (kind of crow-like), but they get removed eventually. Nice job on the tosses while playing jump rope! Lots of high tosses with clean catches. Some tetherball as well. FM is using the ramp from their marching show, which allows them to play with levels a little bit, performing tosses off the sides of the ramp back to the ground. Overall, a fairly dark and strange show (stark contrast to their bubblegum JV show), but that 72 score is really a great first time score -- one that would, I think, normally put them in the running for finals at Nats, if they were going.

I've been stalking some local circuit pages. Palm Desert Charter Middle School is knocking it out of the park again. They won a West Coast Winter Guard contest this past weekend with a 78 -- 3 points higher than the high school group in 2nd place. Super duper impressive.

Overall, though, the Cali scores seem pretty low. Chino Hills was able to get a 71.9 at a WGASC contest this past weekend, which is very solid, but the other world class groups seem significantly lower than usual. Palm Desert High School, which the middle school feeds into, got a 60.4 this past weekend, with both individual analysis scores in the 50s. Probably at least partly pandemic related, but it does make me wonder if the staff is doing everything they can to nurture that amazing talent they have coming into the program. Writing/designing for the world class is also definitely a unique challenge.

Florida groups seem to be faring a bit better. Tarpon seems about as strong as usual and will probably be somewhere in or around the top 5 at Dayton.

There's a stream up of Klein Cain now. I'm not sure how long it has been up, and unfortunately there's no rewind option for those of us who thought there wasn't going to be any stream at all. Also, the music is barely audible. Very disappointing. Meanwhile, Georgetown's stream is extremely low resolution with major frame rate issues. All around awful.