3rd Place (Bronze Medalist)- Canton HS

4th Place- Sulphur Springs HS

5th Place- China Spring HS

6th Place- Canyon HS

7th Place- Davenport HS

8th Place- Calallen HS

9th Place- Paris HS

10th Place- Canyon Randall

CONGRATULATIONS TO A FIRST TIME STATE CHAMPION, CELINA HS!!!!

Congratulations to all bands that competed this Year at the State Contest!

46 minutes ago, MrMusic5002 said:

Lumberton had 5, 12, 14, 14, 18

I have a love-hate relationship with UIL for the unpredictable results. The inconsistency befuddles me but it also makes for a fascinating competition to watch. And it also really means something if you can get all five judges to rank you 1st or any placement really. 

I’m just spitballing here but the wild variation in scoring is influenced by the fact that the judge panel is completely different for prelims and finals right?  There’s 10 judges and 5 spots so they must switch out?

I don’t know I’m trying to figure it out; it wouldn’t shock me to find out that’s true tbh

10 minutes ago, Liam Allen said:

I’m just spitballing here but the wild variation in scoring is influenced by the fact that the judge panel is completely different for prelims and finals right?  There’s 10 judges and 5 spots so they must switch out?

I don’t know I’m trying to figure it out; it wouldn’t shock me to find out that’s true tbh

They switch out some and rotate some. I think a few judges moved from music to visuals or vice versa. At least when they announced the names of the finals judges they repeated some from the prelim score sheet 

Congrats to Celina on getting first. Really unexpected! I thought it would just be Canton,  North Lamar and maybe Anna or China Spring being the power houses medaling for a little bit with Argyle and Melissa in 5a now.  Not sure what's up with North Lamar but it looked like they tried something new for their show this year (Not woodwind very technique heavy) and it was a mess musically but I'm sure they will be ready to make a run for it again in 2024.

28 minutes ago, Liam Allen said:

That and I think when bands are compared against more bands, the precision of scoring, and therefore accuracy of rankings goes down since it’s harder to compare that many bands against each other than just a handful of them. Like this year at 6A Area B, the lone music judge that judged music both prelims and finals placed LD Bell 11th in prelims but then placed them 3rd in finals.