2022 BOA San Antonio (Nov. 4 & 5)

It seems that during my predictions I either evaluated them accurately based on prelims criteria, (Keller in 10th, Pearland in 14th, etc.)

or Sometimes I take one aspect of the performance and assume that one aspect is representative of the whole when it’s just one part to take into consideration. Like with Marcus I (thought about) placing them in 8th(I put them in 7th), which is equal to their ranking in individual visual performance. And I remember my justification for the high placement was because I was impressed by the visual complexity each individual was responsible for. However, in BOA one must evaluate the entirety of the performance based on multiple characteristics as opposed to one category. 

7 hours ago, lost said:

Genuine question,

Dripping Springs always seems to do significantly better in UIL than BOA. Much more than quite literally any other band.

Whats their secret to their perpetual UIL success and why doesn’t it transfer to BOA?

I think that it is because their staff have been there for such a long time that they know how to please the uil judges. also uil doesn’t have a general effect category which is usually what dripping springs is not always focused on and that’s what BOA mainly focus on.They are also very clean visually and musically and that is what uil judges are really looking for. That’s how they have been a state qualifier and finalist for many years in 2A, 4A, 5A, and hopefully 6A. I have a feeling that dripping springs will come back next year with something special and try for a more BOA style show.

Any thoughts on what this will mean for the bubble at the 6A State Competition? I know uil and boa are very different, but do y’all think we’ll see more or less the same “bubble bands” making it to finals for state or will we see a lot of shuffling around? After the last two days, is there still a large bubble or are things clearer now?

41 minutes ago, markdavis said:

Any thoughts on what this will mean for the bubble at the 6A State Competition? I know uil and boa are very different, but do y’all think we’ll see more or less the same “bubble bands” making it to finals for state or will we see a lot of shuffling around? After the last two days, is there still a large bubble or are things clearer now?

i think that the bubble is definitely bigger and that some groups that were in the bubble would move into finals

9 minutes ago, packwick said:

for those w/ access to the drive i'll upload the multicam vids eventually. i need to like transfer and trim all of them. also might need a better Cedar Ridge, got a text partway through. i'll do Nats also. YT will have to suffice for now.

is it possible to share the link with more people. I would like to have access if possible :)

1 hour ago, urmom292 said:

i think that the bubble is definitely bigger and that some groups that were in the bubble would move into finals

Okay, based on the Area competition results and differences in the UIL score sheets an argument could be made that, for example, Waxahatchie and Timber Creek could move into Finals. Of course there are others acsoss the state too. The problem is there are the same number of spots available. For someone to move into Finals someone else has to move out.

So who are you evicting?

I have to say having got a chance to look at the finals full recaps that the one thing that really stood out to me is the fact that Coppell got 6th overall in individual music and then 10+ in everything else. It’s… interesting to say the least, seeing as the caption scores were somewhat more consistent across the board for the other bands.

Edit: Well I suppose other bands also had some significant outliers as well having individual captions that were also 5+/- their overall ranking. But I thought it was intriguing that Coppell’s 6th in individual music was strong enough to break top/bottom split.

17 minutes ago, 1998-2018 said:

Okay, based on the Area competition results and differences in the UIL score sheets an argument could be made that, for example, Waxahatchie and Timber Creek could move into Finals. Of course there are others acsoss the state too. The problem is there are the same number of spots available. For someone to move into Finals someone else has to move out.

So who are you evicting?

Cedar Park won't be there.  Also from the bubble, Bowie, Leander, Keller Central, and Rouse won't be there.  Going off of prelims BOA results, that would put Timber Creek in with Westlake and Waxahachie the first two out.

10 hours ago, josephbandfan said:

Another fun statistic. The number of SA championships from each metroplex since 2003:

DFW: 12

San Antonio: 5

Houston: 2

And GN championships:

Houston: 3

DFW: 1

Austin: 1

And considering the Houston eagles are all 10 years apart (Spring '93, Westfield '03 and The Woodlands '13) it looks like the stage is set for TWHS to take it again in '23 😉.

30 minutes ago, LostChoirGuy said:

Cedar Park won't be there.  Also from the bubble, Bowie, Leander, Keller Central, and Rouse won't be there.  Going off of prelims BOA results, that would put Timber Creek in with Westlake and Waxahachie the first two out.

I’ll add that I’ve heard that Hendrickson isn’t going to be there either. 

1 hour ago, 1998-2018 said:

So who are you evicting?

i am taking out cedar park cause they are 5a and keller and pearland