2022 BOA San Antonio (Nov. 4 & 5)

It's hard to totally eclipse the other bands at the San Antonio Super Regional musically, given how talented all these bands are, but Hebron just did. The amount acrobatics in that music, the syncopated rhythms combined with the quickly shifting intervals, just wow! They execute at a completely unmatched level musically. To top it off, it's incredibly entertaining from start to finish. This is the most fun Hebron show I've ever seen. I love the shift to the easy-going ballad. It's like we've changed the channel on the radio. It's also not a style of music bands usually pick for their ballads. Everybody is busy chasing really epic sounds, and Hebron does something totally different.

11 minutes ago, snares said:

One of Hebron's directors (Travis Pruitt) has been on staff with the Bluecoats for quite a while, so that would make sense!

That is true, although the first hit doesn’t exactly ring “Bloo” in my ear. Trying to think of who it might evoke though ‘cause I’ve been trying to figure that out!😂

maybe that’s the best we’ve got haha

What an amazing night of finals! Congratulations to everyone on nothing but spectacular performances all around! I didn't type about each band because I'm tired and lazy lol, but everyone was on fire tonight!!! Anyways, here's my predictions! Also I'm submitting this before Vista so it's a guess with them. 

Hebron (all captions) 

Ronald Reagan 

The Woodlands 

Vandegrift 

Flower Mound 

Vista 

CTJ

Cedar Ridge 

Coppell

Marcus 

Round Rock

Cedar Park 

Pearland

Keller 

It's hard to go after a performance like that, but Reagan really came and gave it their all! That preshow is just so mysterious yet perfectly sets up the into with the flute and the trombones leading into the first big hit, which was LOUD. There are so many moments that stood out to me, like the alternating woodwind/brass turns from front field to back field. Visually their forms are super crisp and the marching techniques were very uniform from individual to individual. Such a cool ending with the dance team twirling flags in the background before moving into the middle and then blending "in plain sight", haha. Loved it!

There are so many extravagantly effective visual moments in Reagan's show. But you know what, they've also improved a lot musically since the start of the season. This arrangement of Adagio for Strings is also very fascinating, very "Guidry-fied" as I like to call it. I'm not always sold on how the big moments link up to each other logically, but it's impossible to deny their overwhelming power. Some of these visuals -- they're pure, unbridled, glorious pageantry.

That is awful timing for Vista Ridge, it's super distracting on stream. Can only imagine how much worse it is in person.

Edit: Glad they've decided to try and wait until the show is over. Hopefully it's not too long, the night is already getting quite late as it is and we still have two exhibition bands after Vista.

Vista Ridge is easily one of the loudest bands of the night. The sounds of the brass on their big hits is just magnificent. Love their rendition of Primacy of Number, it has so much power with the brass but also more delicate moments for the woodwinds to shine through. That ending is just incredible with how powerful they sound! A couple very minor timing issues in the opener, but that's me being very nitpicky. A superb performance and an amazing way to end the finalist performances!

Only going to try to nail down the top 6;

(in order) Hebron (Music and GE), Reagan (Visual), Vista Ridge, Woodlands, Flower Mound, CTJ

Could see Hebron sweeping, I think their Music and GE scores are going to be wild enough to put a decent gap between them and second, but who knows.

edit: forgot Vandegrift, so just completely disregard everything I just said because I have absolutely no clue what's going to happen

Vista Ridge, with an amazingly energetic performance to close out the night, and after having to stand there waiting for the fireworks to stop. Professionalism! This is a show that I had a feeling would probably be a late-bloomer. There's just a lot going on at once, and so it takes some time for everything to click performance-wise. I think it came pretty darn close to clicking tonight. This is a show that thrills you, but also tickles your brain. The visual program is very Bluecoats, as has already been said a bunch. The last statement is so exciting musically, when they do that final forward push, with that super DCI-ish trumpet soloist. If there is one thing they should focus on for next year, I'd say it's guard recruiting, just creating a little bit better of a balance there in terms of numbers.

1 minute ago, CloudFuel said:

No clue how the standings are going to shake out, but darn... what an absolutely incredible evening. Truly felt like our very own TX Grand Nationals! 🔥

This * infinity! Texas has long been one the most difficult state for any band to compete in, and the last two days have shown that.