2022 BOA San Antonio (Nov. 4 & 5)

Maybe it was just me, but I noticed a new level of energy and confidence from TWHS after prelims. I love their musical selections. I’m still kinda meh on some of the drill, but it doesn’t really matter if I’m just watching the guard the whole time.

How cool would it be to see them win a WGI championship. I know it’s a big ask, but after the low scoring SW finals last year, it could be wide open. 

Oh, that was a sensational performance from The Woodlands. Wow! The music is just so energetic and has so much character and nuance. The visual program is very much where the activity is right now, for better or for worse. It's very stagey. The band sounded great. The guard was unbelievable, and made for some awesome visual moments. If there's a deeper equipment book this year, I haven't seen it.

Vandegrift with another stellar performance! That opener is super demanding and I could see some individuals struggling on the multi-cam, but overall they were quite clean and sounded great. The flute soloist in the ballad was a nice refresher after the brass dominant opener and added a layer of subtlety to the show. That ending might be my favorite of the season; it just sounds so hopeful and joyous that combined with the dance team and the flags waving in the background makes for a beautiful effect. Fantastic show!

There's just so much going on at once in that Vandy show, but they never lose control. How do they clean this?! It's so impressive. They sound fantastic, look fantastic -- really, it's an all-around outstanding show. I also appreciate the risk they're taking by changing up their music book a little bit. It's much more contemporary than usual.

Congrats Hebron! I can’t comprehend that those soprano sax notes are coming from a human, let alone a high school student. The first hit reminds me of the Bluecoats or something. Much better run for the soloists. The ending is very reminiscent of last year with the rainbow colors being pulled out, I wonder if that’s going to be a signature for them.