2022 BOA San Antonio (Nov. 4 & 5)

I just love Coppell’s show, even more than last year. I had them top half after prelims. There’s not a single section in the band that’s less than stellar and that giant guard is so so so good! The ballad could have more oomph but I also appreciate the dynamic contrast. The closer music selection has grown on me exponentially now that I’ve heard the full thing.

Lovely performance from Coppell! That opening hit is so powerful. There are some moments in the opener that can be pretty difficult with the timing across sections, but I thought they did a good job navigating it. The ballad is definitely the highlight of the show for me, can't get enough of that sax soloist. You can tell they love performing the Beethoven in Havana closer, and it's got some technical passages that every section handles well in their features. Great show!

Coppell's aesthetic is everything for me. The typewriter, the girl slaving away in her pajamas trying to figure out what to write, the words on the set pieces and on the uniforms, the various locales that get pulled out at the end, the fans that the guard whips out, and then the choreography -- like the groovy little shoulder isolations at the end. Beethoven in Havana, indeed! I loved it! And the guard has improved a lot over last year. I can't wait to see what they bring to WGI this season. And of course the band sounded great.

It's hard for me to believe this Cedar Ridge show is in the bottom half. You can see on the multi-cam just how bought in every performer is into the show, and it absolutely sells it. Their brass is just a massive wall of sound coming at you, and that jam out session at the front is just awesome. Oh and they also have an absolutely fantastic percussion program, but that's nothing new for them.

Just now, BandFan59 said:

It's hard for me to believe this Cedar Ridge show is in the bottom half. You can see on the multi-cam just how bought in every performer is into the show, and it absolutely sells it. Their brass is just a massive wall of sound coming at you, and that jam out session at the front is just awesome. Oh and they also have an absolutely fantastic percussion program, but that's nothing new for them.

If they don't move into top half tonight, I think they will be the first out! Best of the night for sure! What a stellar performance! Everyone is just killing it so far! 

I think Pearland has definitely earned the “consistent finalist” title. It is even more impressive considering their staff changes before this season. I have my qualms with Cartwright shows, but I actually really enjoy this show. I love the cuteness of the props juxtaposed against the big Texas band sound. Maybe a tiny bit rough around the edges compared to what we’ve seen so far, but this show is meaty! 

Great to see Pearland continue growing even with their staff changes! Flight of the Pegasus is such a great tune that they played wonderfully, with some hard runs that they pulled off very well. They showed off a softer side in the ballad which was very nice with the woodwind duet, and then the closer was just constant movement! It's not quite as clean as some of the other bands that have gone but they no doubt earned their spot in finals.

22 hours ago, BandFan59 said:

Man, that is a tough show from CTJ. The production's not as high profile as some of their past ones, but the difficulty is still off the charts. There is still some visual dirt because of it, but I give them a pass just because of the sheer demand. Musically they were just as brilliant as ever, with some excellent sounds from the brass and a great ending too. Very close between them, Vandegrift, and Reagan for the best show of the night so far.

14 minutes ago, Tubalord11 said:

If they don't move into top half tonight, I think they will be the first out! Best of the night for sure! What a stellar performance! Everyone is just killing it so far! 

I thought Cedar Ridge was one of the best a few weeks ago, but the other bands have really stepped up and improved on their shows. Great performance from CR! Not sure if they will break into the top half, but we shall see.