2022 BOA San Antonio (Nov. 4 & 5)

Just now, Samuel Culper said:

Bitter, party of one!

There isn't a single band in Finals that isn't excellent. 

You will see many of the same bands in Finals on Tuesday and the UIL system is very different from BOA. These bands excel under both systems because they are among the best high school bands in the country.

……to be fair UIL did change their sheets to be more BOA-like as of recent.

Was their comment bitter? Sure. GE does way too much I think though. It should probably be less.

10 minutes ago, lost said:

……to be fair UIL did change their sheets to be more BOA-like as of recent.

Was their comment bitter? Sure. GE does way too much I think though. It should probably be less.

To be fair, you saw that same duplication before they did.  The really good bands in Texas have really good years under both systems. 

1 minute ago, Samuel Culper said:

To be fair, you saw that same duplication before they did.  The really good bands in Texas have really good years under both systems. 

I don’t think you need to pounce on every comment like this, I really didn’t mean any ill  intent.

Sure we’ve seen some duplication, it is worth noting this is a newer trend but you’re right in that amazing bands will usually make finals in both with no issue.

8 minutes ago, lost said:

I don’t think you need to pounce on every comment like this, I really didn’t mean any ill  intent.

Sure we’ve seen some duplication, it is worth noting this is a newer trend but you’re right in that amazing bands will usually make finals in both with no issue.

I wasn't trying to pounce on anything. I apologize if it came across that way.

Alright time to make my live prediction list for finals placements. Will be updated as finals goes along. 

•Hebron

•Ronald Reagan 

•Flower Mound

•The Woodlands

•Vandegrift 

•CTJ

•Marcus

- - - - -Top 7

•Vista Ridge

•Coppell

•Keller

•Round Rock

•Cedar Park

•Cedar Ridge

•Pearland

Outstanding Music: Hebron

Outstanding Visual: Hebron

Outstanding General Effect: Hebron

Edited by Dallas Hobbs

1 minute ago, Dallas Hobbs said:

Alright time to make my prediction list for finals placements

•
•
- - - - Top 7

Outstanding Music: 

Outstanding Visual: 

Outstanding General Effect: 

Ooh ooh lemme guess. 

A band from Texas. *GASP*

#willbewrong

14 – Pearland High School, TX
13 – Keller High School, TX
12 – Round Rock High School, TX
11 – Marcus High School, TX
10 – Coppell High School, TX
9 – Cedar Ridge High School, TX
8 – Cedar Park High School, TX
7 – Claudia Taylor Johnson High School, TX
6 – Flower Mound High School, TX
5 – Vista Ridge High School, TX
4 – Vandegrift High School, TX
3 – Ronald Reagan High School, TX
2 – The Woodlands High School, TX
1 – Hebron High School, TX

54 minutes ago, BandDad4 said:

GE rewards mediocre show bands and sinks excellent marching bands

While I wholly disagree with this statement (every single band in finals and the first 20 out are ALL excellent,) I do think BOA should consider reducing the weight that is on GE. DCI's 30-30-40 split is pretty good, and when I applied it to the most recent San Antonio, placements and scores saw relatively small changes

Cedar Park starting off finals with a bang! Another very good production that I think is even better than the one they had last year. Lots of powerful sounds from the brass throughout the entire show and beautiful soloists, especially that saxophone feature in the closer which was excellent. I do wish there was a little more dynamic contrast, as it is mostly just very loud the entire show, but this is something that has applied to a LOT of bands at San Antonio this year so it's not a huge issue. I really hope they go back to Grand Nationals soon, it's far overdue for them.

Is that the best opening to the SA Super Regional ever from Cedar Park just now? Yes, they blast, but it's still somehow so balanced and clear! I was going to criticize them for maybe not being nuanced, but they've got that, too. That ballad is really delicate in parts, before it swells again and knocks us off our feet. Maybe there could be even more shades, even more color? I don't know, but I am very, very impressed!