2022 BOA San Antonio (Nov. 4 & 5)

2 minutes ago, packwick said:

if there's a more musically virtuosic high school marching band in the world, ever, than Hebron, i've never heard it. brass was frankly better than several DCI world class finalists from this year.

Yes indeed, my only only complaint that goes down purely to personal preference, Hebron can fluctuate year-to-year in being very top heavy, to what I thought was the sweet spot, *chef’s kiss* of their sound in 2021. Their low brass last year was so phenomenal, carrying parts of their show, what I think is their best all-around ensemble sound they’ve made. And this year, while still very much strong and fantastic, they are pushed more to the wayside by the brighter colors of the high brass and woodwinds, of course, the musical color palette of the show probably necessitated it, but man their sound last year I think is still a bit better imo! Hebron still did Hebron things regardless and I enjoy both shows a lot!

Just now, Vidal28 said:

Yes indeed, my only only complaint that goes down purely to personal preference, Hebron can fluctuate year-to-year in being very top heavy, to what I thought was the sweet spot, *chef’s kiss* of their sound in 2021. Their low brass last year was so phenomenal, carrying parts of their show, what I think is their best all-around ensemble sound they’ve made. And this year, while still very much strong and fantastic, they are pushed more to the wayside by the brighter colors of the high brass and woodwinds, of course, the musical color palette of the show probably necessitated it, but man their sound last year I think is still a bit better imo! Hebron still did Hebron things regardless and I enjoy both shows a lot!

Are you watching the live stream? I’m here and have been texting one of my friends who’s watching the live stream and said something similar, but the low brass was LOUD in the Alamodome. Don’t know if it’s the recording or maybe I’m just crazy, but other than a few individual mistakes here and there and a electronics issue later in the show it was straight power from top to bottom. Marcus and Hebron have both been “darker” sounds than most bands I’ve heard this weekend.

amazing job Rock Hill!!! After seeing this show live at dfw, I feel in love with this show so much!!! These guys are in their second competitive season and already sound like they have been competing for many years!!! It's such a fun show with incredible musicians who also marching so well! An amazing way to end the season, and Definity will be a threat for finals in a few years and should place very well today! 

1 minute ago, snares said:

Are you watching the live stream? I’m here and have been texting one of my friends who’s watching the live stream and said something similar, but the low brass was LOUD in the Alamodome. Don’t know if it’s the recording or maybe I’m just crazy, but other than a few individual mistakes here and there and a electronics issue later in the show it was straight power from top to bottom. Marcus and Hebron have both been “darker” sounds than most bands I’ve heard this weekend.

I am watching the live stream, and yes I’ve seen Hebron live as recently as Area this past weekend. It’s most definitely a box5 issue that drowns out the lows even more, most likely! I do agree that Hebron has a dark-ish sound, probably more so they have a lot of depth to it as well. Perhaps it also just hits different in the dome too. Hebron’s low brass is of course still very very strong, but overall I don’t think they’re as featured or as prominent as they were in 2021, that’s all I’m saying! :)

I just signed up for the finals stream! I'm excited to finally watch some of these awesome bands! But I also feel some regret that I'll be missing out on some truly fine programs. Hopefully all the kids know that whatever happens, their prelims performances were fantastic, and that they surely have made the judges' decisions very hard to make.

8 minutes ago, Vidal28 said:

Hebron’s low brass is of course still very very strong, but overall I don’t think they’re as featured or as prominent as they were in 2021, that’s all I’m saying! 

Definitely going to agree with this. The trombone feature in their closer last year was one of my favorite moments last year across the board and I always wish for more trombone, but then again the waterfall effect in the opener for the high brass is probably the coolest thing I’ve heard a high school do in years. 

Just now, Tubalord11 said:

Klein Oak has entered the chat! What an amazing run!!! They have some serious volume! Another band using Wine Dark Sea this year... I've lost count as to how many are using it this years, but it's A LOT, but I'm not complaning bc I love the piece! Great Work KO 

I was trying to think back on how many times we heard it and it has to be in the 5-10 range.  But it just works so well on the field and brings a lot of energy so I totally understand why bands use it.  The only downside to great songs like that is that it is hard not to compare one band's rendition with ones from the past that you really like.

That Hebron show was absolutely spectacular. Congratulations to all the Hebron kids for all there hard work. but after some more re-evaluation what were vista and regan thinking this year, an interesting design idea for sure…. cant wait to see o’conner out there tonight, good work to everyone else who has performed, especially westlake.

1 hour ago, MoMoneyMoProplems said:

Yay AISD! I think there are four AISD bands in the competition (LASA, Anderson, Bowie, and McCallum).  As a newish band parent I am starting to think urban high schools just don't have much of a chance at BoAs and should maybe focus their efforts elsewhere.  Bowie doesn't really fall into that category since they are decidedly suburban schools that happen to be in an urban district.  

There are only a few schools in AISD that have a prayer of being competitive (Austin, Anderson, Bowie, McCallum, and LASA).  These bands (besides Bowie) don't get much discussion on these boards so as a marching band novice parent it's hard to tell where they are lacking.  Is it size?  Visuals?  Musicality? I can't think of any big heavy hitters out of DISD, HISD or San Antonio, but I could be wrong. These big suburban bands are amazing and I love watching them, but I am wondering if these smaller urban bands are wasting their far more limited resources on these competitions. They definitely do better at UIL. I really admire how much Leander invests in/supports their programs and wish AISD could make the arts a priority. 

Hmm, as a longtime band parent I’ve seen this type of question many times from “newish” band parents. I’d like to suggest you consider an alternative perspective. My username represents my oldest’s Freshman marching season and my youngest’s Senior marching season. She aged out of DCI this summer too. It’s been a long journey and the best lesson I’ve learned came from our Band Director during that first season. “In it to win it” is not the reason to do this. Sure, recognition is nice but chasing it generally leads to disappointment. The important competition is with yourself. (Much like playing golf.) While we spend significant time here debating who “could” make Finals tonight, how many bands have a legitimate shot at winning? Maybe two or three? We all face your dilemma on some level. Coming to that first BOA competition can spark the collective imagination of a band program. Seeing what is possible is inspirational! You mentioned UIL as an alternative. I believe the qualification process for the State Marching Band Championship is intentionally built around this same idea. Our program competes in 6A Area B and every year very high quality bands miss the cut. It makes room for other bands from less competitive areas to attend. They’re not going to win, but they could find the inspiration that leads to the pursuit of personal and collective excellence. The Area B band that was left behind already finds this inspiration locally.

Just ask Timber Creek about their journey.

The real value of being at the BOA SASR or the UIL SMBC in not found in winning. But someday, for a select few, it might be revealed by winning. The rest will see it expressed across their lifetime.