2022 BOA San Antonio (Nov. 4 & 5)

5 minutes ago, packwick said:

i mean if you keep crowing about how TX bands are the best instead of just letting it speak for itself, it does run into ego and arrogance. i think that's obvious.

I’ve only made one statement of the sort regarding Texas bands and the other marquee BOA competitions. There’s always a bit of push and pull when it comes to  different regions talking about what they’re best at. It’s BOASA weekend, it’s fine to acknowledge it

2 minutes ago, Vidal28 said:

I’ve only made one statement of the sort regarding Texas bands and the other marquee BOA competitions. There’s always a bit of push and pull when it comes to regions talking about what they’re best at. It’s BOASA weekend, it’s fine to acknowledge it

sorry that was more of a general "you" than "you you." i don't know what comments u have made specifically, but i do know there's a lot of chest thumping on this forum.

17 hours ago, snares said:

These Austin bands have absolutely ridiculous drumlines/percussion sections

Yay AISD! I think there are four AISD bands in the competition (LASA, Anderson, Bowie, and McCallum).  As a newish band parent I am starting to think urban high schools just don't have much of a chance at BoAs and should maybe focus their efforts elsewhere.  Bowie doesn't really fall into that category since they are decidedly suburban schools that happen to be in an urban district.  

There are only a few schools in AISD that have a prayer of being competitive (Austin, Anderson, Bowie, McCallum, and LASA).  These bands (besides Bowie) don't get much discussion on these boards so as a marching band novice parent it's hard to tell where they are lacking.  Is it size?  Visuals?  Musicality? I can't think of any big heavy hitters out of DISD, HISD or San Antonio, but I could be wrong. These big suburban bands are amazing and I love watching them, but I am wondering if these smaller urban bands are wasting their far more limited resources on these competitions. They definitely do better at UIL. I really admire how much Leander invests in/supports their programs and wish AISD could make the arts a priority. 

Okay but in all seriousness.... HOW DO THEY PLAY LIKE THAT!!!! Another unbelievable show with impossible music they make possible, an insane visual book and just unrealistic sounds, dynamics and control! I will be honest, a couple oopies here and there from a couple soloist, but they will win Music and Probably GE, I'm thinking Reagan takes visual, but I'd love 2 full sweeps from Hebron for captions!!! Have already made a show that has topped last years! I'm just speechless right now! Could see the getting a record tongith! 

I say this every time I see them but Hebron is unreal. The level of musicality and difficulty they're able to put on the field is unmatched by anyone in the country. That brass feature in the opener might be one of the most impressive features I've ever heard from any marching band. Then they have a disgustingly amazing saxophone quartet in the closer. That said, I did notice a few individual marching errors on the multi-cam when it came to visuals and timing, so I do think they have a cleaner run in them, but they're still the best band that's performed today or yesterday, which is absolutely insane.

1 hour ago, Samuel Culper said:

Question of the day: How many bands here would qualify for Finals at the Indianapolis "Super" Regional?

That’s an excellent question for AvonDad. He said the sheer variety of Texas bands that make Finals at Grand Nationals made much more sense after coming to the SASR. Seeing the level of competition we face all season long at local competitions leading up to this competition was overwhelming. Especially considering the eight hour rule. Feedback from the Avon kids was that they were thrilled with their fourth  place SASR finish.

I can’t help thinking most of the Indianapolis Super Regional Finals streaks would be broken if the SASR contingent you’re asking about made the trip. But of course you know it’s not in the cards; simply not financially logical. Still a fun thought experiment.