2022 BOA San Antonio (Nov. 4 & 5)

42 minutes ago, thecircusbee said:

Yes! I can't believe someone else noticed.

I think it's many things, their arrangement of the Christopher Tin piece is extremely similar to the Bluecoats arrangement 160 BPM by Hans Zimmer. It also really helps that both of these shows spend most of their time in 2 flats land. For me however, the most specific connection is like you said, the chords. The Ebmaj7 and Ebmaj7b5 are classic "Doug Thrower" chords, and they're great in Cedar Park's show.

Also just to mention, I've seen a lot of people mention potential finalists today and yesterday, and the number of names thrown out their has definitely been way more than 14. It is sad to know that many of these finalist caliber bands won't make it into the show tonight, I wish this contest had semifinals. 

The end of the opener where they march forward doing the leg swing visual with the power chord made me have deja vu. The pit writing is also reminiscent of Bloo 2010 to me as well. It's soooooo good.

4 minutes ago, Band2021 said:

Right Now panel 1 is about to be very competitive! Going in I thought panel 2 would be more of the wild card but panel 1 has so many "possible" finalists. Round Rock at this time is the band i moved from solid finals to "possible". Very competitive. 

Everyone talking about how unbalanced the panels were really confused me to be honest.  I do think Panel 2 has a couple more solid locks that will likely place in the top half of finals, but the finalist bubble in panel 1 is huge!

2 minutes ago, LostChoirGuy said:

Everyone talking about how unbalanced the panels were really confused me to be honest.  I do think Panel 2 has a couple more solid locks that will likely place in the top half of finals, but the finalist bubble in panel 1 is huge!

Plus we still have Marcus in panel 1 to go. 

Cy Fair has so many great visual moments.  I love their uniforms and the switch between colors never gets old haha.  Musically I also really loved their quieter moments.  I did feel like the show had some unusual pacing, with several dead moments that seemed like nothing was happening, but it didn't affect how much I liked their show.  

very very clever show from CyFair. love the drifting drums through the block, very Cavies 04. they spell out Vanish and we expect a big hit w/ a cresc in the percussion, but then we don't get it, it "vanishes." love the tranquil pause before the ballad hit, after all the band has disappeared there. Hide and Seek will never not be goosebumpy. very expressive show. will performance be enough tho?

1 minute ago, peshbandkid said:

This might be just due to how floored I am over the last two days, but this year’s San Antonio feels like the best ever! 

It probably is? It’s kinda hard to tell sometimes with each passing edition though, we may say the same thing again next year haha

I really am stunned at how the level of this super regional gets higher every year after watching many of the bands this morning. For me the best band of the day so far has been Coppell. They had one of their cleanest runs and sounded very polished. The saxophone soloist in the ballad was incredible. I expect to see them solidly in finals as I think the show is coming together at the right time. That said I am very impressed at the quality of the other bands this morning. Pearland and Cypress Woods were the two other standouts for me. Pearland’s music book had a fair amount of difficulty that they executed very well, and I have to say they were visually quite clean as well. Cypress Woods had some great soloists in the ballad as well and had some super powerful sounds, even if they mostly marched in front of the front hash marks. Excited to see how these bands fall among everyone else.

I know much has been said about why there is no semifinals in this contest, but I feel that we can no longer count on the judges to find the best 14 bands in a contest of this size when there are so many great groups right in the mix.  On top of that, making the top 7 is so essential for potential medalists because of the top/bottom finals split.  I really think they need to see all potential finalists closer together with a single judging panel.

1 minute ago, Fwguard17 said:

I think this year's Super Regional may be the best ever in terms of depth... actually, I would say it's almost certainly the case that the 10-30 bands are the best there's ever been at a contest. At the top however I think the finals in 2017 and 2019 were stronger than they will be tonight, though I may eat those words at the end of this incredible day!!

these are my thoughts too. huge bubble.

5 minutes ago, LostChoirGuy said:

I know much has been said about why there is no semifinals in this contest, but I feel that we can no longer count on the judges to find the best 14 bands in a contest of this size when there are so many great groups right in the mix.  On top of that, making the top 7 is so essential for potential medalists because of the top/bottom finals split.  I really think they need to see all potential finalists closer together with a single judging panel.

While I agree with the sentiment here and would love to see a semi-finals I just do not see a way that it would be a sound investment for the schools nor a fair representation of BOA when considering all of the other Super Regionals. It's tough here. Relish this. It is making every band better. Maybe one day Texas will produce a band that can hang with the bottom half of Indiana schools (tongue firmly in cheek) .