2022 BOA San Antonio (Nov. 4 & 5)

18 minutes ago, whenthebandbeginstoplay said:

Vista Ridge is out of tune, soloist is missing. Not looking good sadly. 

Well then. I guess it's a good thing that judging is no longer done on a demerit basis. I was sitting on the 50 3/4ths of the way up and my tin ears couldn't hear any full band tuning issues. Poor Vista Ridge, I guess they aren't going to beat a clean Westlake to finals this year. 

watchin' on hi cam. Cedar Ridge solid performance, a little bit o visual dirt here and there, but pretty locked in musically. still feel like the design is a bit simple, but that's prob just my tastes. Vista Ridge, super layered production, cool music, overall not as clean as i'd hoped. i also felt like the energy level dropped every time they weren't playing a long chord. given the challenges it makes sense. Westlake, that's gotta be some of the best clarinet playing ever on the field. great music. super enjoyable. love the voiceover, is that the guy from the Cadets? not super clean visually, but some cool stuff in there. finals worthy. actually i probably like Westlake's music more than both of the Ridges, which surprises me. more character.

The bands that have gone so far have all been really good. I think Vista Ridge might have been the best so far for me, though it's very close between them and Cedar Ridge. Also wanted to give a shout out to Pflugerville for playing Firebird! I love that piece and thought their rendition was great.

Sidenote, it looks like a monsoon outside in Dallas. Don't know what it's like in the rest of the state but I hope the DFW bands performing tomorrow have already left because I certainly would not want to be driving in this weather.

6 minutes ago, justabandkid94 said:

Is Vandervolff designing for VR now, or was that just a comparison being made earlier in this thread? Definitely evokes his work. Mesmerizing stuff. Ballsy kids. Love it

Unrelated, one of my favorite Westlake shows to date. 🔥 

yes, he and Raiford do the visual program for Vista now.

i think the judges will proooobably lean into Cedar Ridge's performance clarity over Vista, but i'd love to be wrong. content scores should be huge.

Box 5 high cam cutting away from Round Rock because they were too powerful. That was excellent! Probably my favorite from them since 2016. The front flats are very reminiscent of their 2013 show. Maybe a little lacking in GE here and there (I wish the show told more of a story), but they were very clean until the closer. I expect to see them again tomorrow! 

Round Rock is so clean which is great! Musically they are so on it this year! so happy for them I was a bit worried as their recent shows have not been my favorites but this year it looks like they are finding their footing. Only issue is GE I am thinking that they are targeting UIL and that's why it is a bit on the low side.