2022 BOA San Antonio (Nov. 4 & 5)

On 11/16/2021 at 6:07 PM, LeanderMomma said:

The 2022 Bands of America San Antonio Super Regional will be held November 4th & 5th, 2022 at the Alamodome in San Antonio, TX. 

The schedule is up!

FRIDAY

Panel 1
9:00a - Medina Valley
9:15a - Georgetown
9:30a - W. Charles Akins
9:45a - Mission Veterans Memorial
10:00a - Glenn
10:15a - Pflugerville
10:30a - James Bowie

Panel 2
11:00a - United
11:15a - Troy
11:30a - Smithson Valley
11:45a - New Braunfels
12:00p - Cedar Ridge
12:15p - Dripping Springs
12:30p - James E. Taylor
12:45p - John B. Alexander
1:00p - Byron P. Steele II
1:15p - Rio Grande City
1:30p - Vista Ridge
1:45p - Westlake

Panel 1
2:15p - Waller
2:30p - Anderson
2:45p - Jack C. Hays
3:00p - Round Rock
3:15p - Lake Travis
3:30p - Foster
3:45p - Douglas MacArthur
4:00p - LASA
4:15p - LEE
4:30p - Sandra Day O'Connor
4:45p - Churchill Fulshear
5:00p - Robert E. Hendrickson

Panel 2
5:30p - Veterans Memorial
5:45p - Cedar Park
6:00p - Westwood
6:15p - Louis D. Brandeis
6:30p - Rouse
6:45p - Jourdanton
7:00p - McNeil
7:15p - Winston Churchill
7:30p - Vandegrift
7:45p - Hidalgo Early College

Panel 1
8:15p - Leander
8:30p - Keller Central
8:45p - Ronald Reagan
9:00p - Odem
9:15p - Timber Creek
9:30p - Magnolia
9:45p - Claudia Taylor Johnson
10:00p - A&M Consolidated
10:15p - Keller
10:30p - Flower Mound

SATURDAY

Panel 2
7:00a - Pecos
7:15a - Oak Ridge
7:30a - McCallum
7:45a - L.D. Bell
8:00a - Clear Creek
8:15a - Seven Lakes
8:30a - College Station
8:45a - Lubbock-Cooper
9:00a - Dawson
9:15a - Whitesboro
9:30a - Coppell

Panel 1
10:00a - Clear Springs
10:15a - Del Rio
10:30a - Pearland
10:45a - Cypress Woods
11:00a - Argyle
11:15a - Cy-Fair
11:30a - Friendswood
11:45a - Forney
12:00p - Sachse
12:15p - Burleson
12:30p - Marcus
12:45p - College Park

Panel 2
1:15p - Hebron
1:30p - Rock Hill
1:45p - Klein Oak
2:00p - Wylie
2:15p - Azle
2:30p - The Woodlands
2:45p - Highland Park
3:00p - Wylie East
3:15p - Waxahachie

3:30p - Exhibition - UT Austin

They really said let’s put all the Keller schools in the same block 😂😂

jk Ik it’s random, it’s just hilarious they are all in the same block! 

7 hours ago, SnareSnare13 said:

Whelp, I've finally cracked off my shell and come out of my 10 month long hibernation and finally got to getting myself acquainted with our yearly fighters down here in TX.

I only have a few thoughts so far, especially since I've only seen videos and won't be able to go to any actual even until maybe UIL State. I will preface this by saying I have not yet seen Hebron, but I'll add a little about that later. The first thing that has stuck out to me is my god Cedar Ridge and Vandegrift are good. I saw the results before watching the shows and was surprised at how big of a haymaker Cedar Ridge has thrown this year, and I'm here for it. Vandegrift has already become one of my favorites to win the southern grand nats this year, what an unbelievable show, it definitely has the potential, I think it will just come down to what TWHS and those pesky LISD bands up near Dallas are up to.

Flower Mound is incredible. Despite the second place to Hebron, they could still easily contend for the title, if not a medal at the least. I've always loved their visual designs, I wish I could just go sit up in the rafters at the alamodome and watch their shows from up top every year. Marcus is musically dominant as always, I'm excited to see where these two end up in UIL, I think it's possible that it's an LISD sweep of UIL.

But this is not a UIL thread, and that leaves me to talk about my greatest unknown yet, which is Hebron. I only saw results, and again, have not yet seen the show, but I was impressed that they were able to still win prelims despite the early draw, and winning by 1.6 and sweeping finals at that event is incredible. But, let me just copy and paste what my cousin sent me (marched crown and BD about a decade ago so he's someone who's opinion I actually trust). I'll have to do some cleaning of it to make it family friendly for this thread. (Going to add periods where the ends of texts are, so there was a minute or two between each)

"Hebron is walking in right now! gonna be hard to beat flomo but I haven't seen their show yet so we'll just wait and see. the weeknd? interesting musical selection, but it's Michael Martin. Oh my god. Oh my god. There's just no way this is a high school. This is literally unreal. It's almost a joke even, the woodwinds have these crazy runs, and then hand it off to the brass who are like 'check out this double tonguing, and then big hit! But wait! Here's 4 seconds to gather your jaws, and then there's more! Check out this triple tonguing into a big hit! Here's 4 more seconds to lower your heart rate, BUT WAIT! THERE'S MORE! CHECK OUT THIS QUADRUPLE TONGUING INTO SPLIT RUNS WITH A G**D*** WATERFALL INTO A BIG HIT? Relentless. Give me more. Nothing better than a Hebron Jazz ballad. My ADHD is loving this closer so far. Holy **** this is insane."

He also mentioned that it was dirty in parts, but it's Hebron, so I'm assuming that they're playing the hardest music and have plenty of time to clean before SA. I've also decided that I'm not going to even try to find a video of Hebron until I can see them live. Worth the wait 'm hoping.

Gotta say I'm pumped though! I love the clash that always happens every fall, and this one is shaping up like it's going nothing short of an all-timer.

Some of my thoughts from beginning to end of Hebron’s show, some spoken out loud, some kept in my head, my friend that was with me somehow was able to quietly observe for the most part, but here we go: “mic check is going smoothly for the soloists, these guys are just automatic, they get a few notes in and are ready to go and they sound like it” that was a thought in my head to start. “Love the backfield playing and soprano solo to start! Absolutely love it and this opening hit, not as boastful as Penstriped, but it doesn’t need to be, just so effortless!” “Awesome Piccolo solo, woodwind choir is so so good, they just love scoring them so high up!! You don’t hear that out here too often!” This is all still in my head of course, me and my friend are silently watching at this point, and then the brass come in once more, my first “GOOD GOD!” audibly comes out, I just put my head down and kept shaking my head, I was honestly overwhelmed, and asked out loud a few times “WHY IS THERE A DRUM CORPS HORNLINE OUT THERE??” throughout the next minute and a half of destruction that happened out there.

“And we got the ballad now, oozing of something BD would do” “soloists hand off to each other, the second of the two is…oh so good…” (trying to keep it vague) “THE WOODWINDS ARE SO AUDIBLE AND SCORED SO HIGH JEEEZ!!” “These modulations and key changes are so niceee!” Lovely ballad as always from Hebron!

My friend finally broke down when he heard the featured saxophones in the closer as he is a sax player himself haha(Hebron always features saxes, this year is no exception, don’t think this is too spoiler-y) “Oh **** they have that Bari playing all that?! Jesus!!” I laughed at that pretty hard, and we just watched the rest after that as it was mostly standstill. I’m sure Hebron will have that final part of their show out soon and I can’t wait to watch their show again at their Area competition at the end of the month, I have no doubt their performance will reach new heights and be a lot cleaner than what their boa DFW was!! Not long after that is BOA SA and UIL state and I wish them luck and success at all of them!!

I just went on the website to count how many bands are going this year. EIGHTY THREE, if I counted correctly. That's absurd. Back when I was involved in scholastic marching arts, people thought 60 was insane. This is basically BOA Grand Nats #1, except it's all Texas Bands. 

Good luck, y'all. I've decided to forget predictions. There are too many good bands in Texas to predict who will make finals  lately. 

Gonna talk about all the bubble bands because I also want to hear yall's thoughts. I can see 11 locks for finals here which means I believe these bands to be somewhere in the 12-14 range for finals.

Coppell- Almost a lock, but I can see how the judges would not reward the show design. The kids are basically outdoing what they were given and sound absolutely wonderful. I hope next year they get a harder show. Their music capability is very strong, and visually they are in finals as well. I do think Coppell will find it's way back into finals this year.

Hendrickson- In my opinion, Hendrickson has a very good shot at making finals this year. The show OOZES vis GE and music GE. The kids do a wonderful job conveying the emotion of the music they've been given. From the recordings on YT the early parts of the show sound astonishingly in tune. The later parts could be cleaned in both the clarity and ensemble sound parts. I do think that the show loses a little bit of momentum later on, but the show is very good either way. The only struggle I see is in the visual department, sets that weren't clean back at BOA Austin still aren't. Musically they're in finals for me but I don't know about visually. I could see them placing even anywhere from 10-16 here.

Bowie- I haven't seen much from Bowie other than a YT video from Austin, but even back then the band sounded different than last year. In a very good way! Their music even back in Austin rivals some sounds that are in the top 25 range right now. We'd have to wait until Orlando this weekend to see where they're at, but I could see them being in finals just from that early video. The only thing working against them is the abysmal prelim time they have!

Westlake- This is a show I could see being in finals or just out of it, akin to last year. Ensemble sound wise they sound wonderful, and the clarinet soloist is amazing. There are some balance issues I noticed from recordings at BOA Propser prelims and finals, but I'm confident they can clean that up. The show runs into the same problem as Hendrickson where I believe the early parts are very clean musically in comparison to the later parts. The concept of the show is just wonderful though! Visually I think they are lacking as well, as some sets haven't been cleaned since Austin. I could see a 13-16 place here!

Keller- Overall, Keller confuses me the most. Listening to recent recordings from after DFW, they probably are top 10 in music right now. However the show design confuses me and doesn't give an accurate portrayal of what I think Keller could do. The visual score is a tiny bit lacking in comparison to other bands of their caliber, though the music they create is ahead of most of the other bands both in achievement and complexity. Overall they will probably make finals, but I think there's a greater chance of them missing this year than in the past.

Pearland- Coming off of the massive staff overhaul hasn't seemed to rattle them one bit!  Having watched to recent videos I do think Pearland is lacking a little bit musically this year in comparison to last year, but visually there has been a massive jump ahead in quality. I'd almost go to say that Pearland visually this year is far ahead of the other bubble bands and rivals some of the top schools, which can be expected when your new director led SFA to 3rd in visual at St Louis Finals. Visually they are a lock for finals in my opinion, but musically they could be sitting around the 17-20 range, although they could place higher as the music they are playing has a lot more depth than last year's book. If they get back to the top 10 ensemble sound they had last year, I could see them placing very well. The main problem this year seems to be the show design, as music GE seems to be a bit lacking. If they don't make finals here, I could see State going well for them.

Cy-Fair- What a year for Cy-Fair! After not, making state the past 2 years, this bounce back is almost unprecedented. The show design is very strong this year, its just a matter of if the kids can achieve at a high level what has been given to them, which I believe they can. There were noticeable tuning issues from them at Katy and Conroe, but the band early on sounded similar to how they did late season last year. I hope they can clean the show musically and visually and make finals! We'll see how their doing once area I rolls around. Can't wait to see how the show turns out!

Keller is definitely a safer pick for finals historically speaking, and I don't think they had a significant staff change, did they?

I'm also wondering if Pearland may surprise with their Cartwright show. They've been on a roll at BOA SA, but they also lost something like all of their staff, so it might not be their year this year. Strong performances at both of their early regionals, however.

Really, I have no idea who will take the last few spots. I think the central Texas contenders for those spots sound better, but I'm not in love with the shows.

3 hours ago, Rubisco said:

Keller is definitely a safer pick for finals historically speaking, and I don't think they had a significant staff change, did they?

I'm also wondering if Pearland may surprise with their Cartwright show. They've been on a roll at BOA SA, but they also lost something like all of their staff, so it might not be their year this year. Strong performances at both of their early regionals, however.

Really, I have no idea who will take the last few spots. I think the central Texas contenders for those spots sound better, but I'm not in love with the shows.

I could definitely see pearland becoming another texas powerhouse in the coming years. Their show design has already drastically improved with wes cartwright and with Sfa’s old director now helming the program their visual proficiency has improved as well. I’m looking forward to their future!

14 minutes ago, cjm715 said:

I could definitely see pearland becoming another texas powerhouse in the coming years. Their show design has already drastically improved with wes cartwright and with Sfa’s old director now helming the program their visual proficiency has improved as well. I’m looking forward to their future!

Highly agree with this sentiment. From the recent videos I've seen, their ensemble sound quality is massively improved from what it was this past month, almost rivaling last year. Small balance inconsistencies but nothing that can't be fixed with 1 more week. I'd say their biggest issue lies in their individual music and visual. Expecting a nice showing at SA and State for them.

On 10/12/2022 at 6:05 PM, peshbandkid said:

After this past weekend, I could see them in the top 35, but probably not a finalist this year

Yeah I highly doubt them going to finals, especially seeing them in Area. They don’t stand a chance against all of these other programs, especially since being in 6A.

I’m very impressed with how much Leander has improved this season. 

This only makes the bubble of SA even more unpredictable. Leander managed to not only catch up to, but pass both CP and Rouse last year in finals. CP is untouchable to me at this point but I could see Leander and Rouse being extremely close once again. They were separated by an absurdly small margin of .02 in pre lims of SA last year. This puts both bands in the finals conversation yet again so here’s my prediction 1 week out. 
Unordered within tiers.

Top 5-Hebron, Vandegrift, Flowermound, Cedar Ridge, Reagan.

6-10-CTJ, Vista Ridge, The Woodlands, Marcus, Cedar Park

Bubble(of death)-Rouse, Westlake, Bowie, Leander, Cy-Fair, Coppell, Round Rock, Keller, LD Bell, Hendrickson.

It’s going to be incredibly close. 

19 minutes ago, natertater21000 said:

This only makes the bubble of SA even more unpredictable. Leander managed to not only catch up to, but pass both CP and Rouse last year in finals. CP is untouchable to me at this point but I could see Leander and Rouse being extremely close once again. They were separated by an absurdly small margin of .02 in pre lims of SA last year. This puts both bands in the finals conversation yet again so here’s my prediction 1 week out. 
Unordered within tiers.

Bubble(of death)-Rouse, Westlake, Bowie, Leander, Cy-Fair, Coppell, Round Rock, Keller, LD Bell, Hendrickson.

I think of this list westlake, round rock and coppell are the most likely bubbles to make it over the others. however that’s not to say to under estimate the others, ld bell was on fire at area last night and they could make their way back in to finals as well. however hendrickson and cy fair could also come out no where and be a surprise! I’d like to see that honestly, a new kid on the block. Man, it really is a bubble of death lol

6 minutes ago, cjm715 said:

I think of this list westlake, round rock and coppell are the most likely bubbles to make it over the others. however that’s not to say to under estimate the others, ld bell was on fire at area last night and they could make their way back in to finals as well. however hendrickson and cy fair could also come out no where and be a surprise! I’d like to see that honestly, a new kid on the block. Man, it really is a bubble of death lol

If I absolutely had to pick 4 from that bubble of 10 right now it’d be Round Rock, Coppell, Cy-Fair, and Rouse. I fully expect places 11-20 to be separated by 2/2.5 points. 

2 hours ago, natertater21000 said:

Unordered within tiers.

Peace of mind for those “bubble of death” bands would be for them to upset a band projected to be a top 5 in their panel. I’d feel pretty good about it👀