2022 BOA San Antonio (Nov. 4 & 5)

• 2 months later...
On 11/16/2021 at 6:07 PM, LeanderMomma said:

The 2022 Bands of America San Antonio Super Regional will be held November 4th & 5th, 2022 at the Alamodome in San Antonio, TX. 

The dates and venue are set. Will we see more new bands in finals next year?  Will Flower Mound (hopefully) grace us with their magical presence next time?  Will Hebron pull off another insanely incredible winning show?  Will Leander ISD have five bands in the top 14 again?  Will The Woodlands do a full Broadway production and stun us all with their World Guard?  Will Coppell move up even higher in finals?  Will the Mandarins/Vista Ridge/Coppell turntable reappear?  Will Cedar Ridge medal next time?  These are the burning questions I need answers to!  😁

Fun fact! LeanderISD has swept 3a Captions 2016. 

• 3 weeks later...
52 minutes ago, Tubalord11 said:

SO excited that Highland Park if finally doing BOA! I also saw on their calendar they got moved up to 6A, but I honestly wouldn’t be surprised to still see them at state, maybe even state finals 🤷‍♂️ 

Highland Park is fantastic and I could see that as well.  Unfortunately, they will be in one of the toughest areas to make state so we will have to see how they stack up (Competing with groups like Keller, Coppell, Timber Creek, LD Bell, Waxahachie, Southlake Carroll, Haltom...)

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/16/2021 at 6:07 PM, LeanderMomma said:

The 2022 Bands of America San Antonio Super Regional will be held November 4th & 5th, 2022 at the Alamodome in San Antonio, TX. 

82 Confirmed bands as of 7/19/22:

A&M Consolidated H.S., TX (AAA)
Anderson H.S., TX (AAA)
Argyle H.S., TX (AA)
Azle H.S., TX (AAA)
Burleson H.S., TX (AA)
Byron P. Steele II H.S., TX (AAAA)
Cedar Park H.S., TX (AAA)
Cedar Ridge H.S., TX (AAAA)
Churchill Fulshear H.S., TX (AAA)
Claudia Taylor Johnson H.S., TX (AAAA)
Clear Creek H.S., TX (AAA)
Clear Springs H.S., TX (AAAA)
College Park H.S., TX (AAAA)
College Station H.S., TX (AAA)
Coppell H.S., TX (AAAA)
Cy-Fair H.S., TX (AAAA)
Cypress Woods H.S., TX (AAAA)
Dawson H.S., TX (AAAA)
Del Rio H.S., TX (AAA)
Douglas MacArthur H.S., TX (AAAA)
Dripping Springs H.S., TX (AAA)
Flower Mound H.S., TX (AAAA)
Forney H.S., TX (AAA)
Foster H.S., TX (AAA)
Friendswood H.S., TX (AAA)
Georgetown H.S., TX (AAA)
Hebron H.S., TX (AAAA)
Hendrickson H.S., TX (AAA)
Hidalgo Early College H.S., TX (AA)
Highland Park H.S., TX (AAA)
Jack C. Hays H.S., TX (AAA)
James Bowie H.S., TX (AAAA)
James E. Taylor H.S., TX (AAAA)
John B. Alexander H.S., TX (AAAA)
Jourdanton H.S., TX (A)
Keller Central H.S., TX (AAAA)
Keller H.S., TX (AAAA)
Klein Oak H.S., TX (AAAA)
L.D. Bell H.S., TX (AAAA)
Lake Travis H.S., TX (AAAA)
Leander H.S., TX (AAA)
Legacy of Educational Excellence H.S., TX (AAA)
Liberal Arts and Science Academy, TX (AA)
Louis D. Brandeis H.S., TX (AAAA)
Lubbock-Cooper H.S., TX (AAA)
Magnolia H.S., TX (AAA)
Marcus H.S., TX (AAAA)
McCallum H.S., TX (AAA)
McNeil H.S., TX (AAA)
Mission Veterans Memorial H.S., TX (AA)
New Braunfels H.S., TX (AAAA)
Odem H.S., TX (A)
Pearland H.S., TX (AAAA)
Pecos H.S., TX (A)
Pflugerville H.S., TX (AAA)
Rio Grande City H.S., TX (AAA)
Rock Hill H.S., TX (AAA)
Ronald Reagan H.S., TX (AAAA)
Round Rock H.S., TX (AAAA)
Rouse H.S., TX (AAA)
Sachse H.S., TX (AAAA)
Sandra Day O’Connor H.S., TX (AAAA)
Seven Lakes H.S., TX (AAAA)
Sharyland H.S., TX (AA)
Smithson Valley H.S., TX (AAAA)
The Woodlands H.S., TX (AAAA)
Timber Creek H.S., TX (AAAA)
Tom Glenn H.S., TX (AAA)
Troy H.S., TX (A)
United H.S., TX (AAAA)
Vandegrift H.S., TX (AAAA)
Veterans Memorial H.S., TX (AAA)
Vista Ridge H.S., TX (AAAA)
W. Charles Akins H.S., TX (AAAA)
Waller H.S., TX (AAA)
Waxahachie H.S., TX (AAAA)
Westlake H.S., TX (AAAA)
Westwood H.S., TX (AAAA)
Whitesboro H.S., TX (A)
Winston Churchill H.S., TX (AAAA)
Wylie East H.S., TX (AAA)
Wylie H.S., TX (AAAA)

82 so far!

I posted this on the hornrank forums, but figured I'd post here as well.

I'm highly considering taking a trip out to Texas to finally witness this event in person.  I don't really know what I'm getting myself into.  Is anyone willing to share with me what they know regarding when tickets go on sale and what the costs are?  Do any of you have other recommendations for me, maybe for lodging, dining, or having the best possible BOA experience?

5 hours ago, packwick said:

82 bands, that's crazy. especially w/o a semifinals. stressful, stressful, stressful judging experience.

i could see Hebron taking home their second Armadillo in a row. CTJ and Flower Mound are also in a good position with all the director changes to take their 3rd or 4th Armies.

yes, i'm trying to get us to crowdfund a ridiculous armadillo trophy that gets passed around like the Grand Nats Eagle. ppl keep comparing this contest to Nats. well where the heck is our trophy then? c'mon TXBands!

I am 1000000% percent down with this armadillo idea.

7 hours ago, packwick said:

82 bands, that's crazy. especially w/o a semifinals. stressful, stressful, stressful judging experience.

i could see Hebron taking home their second Armadillo in a row. CTJ and Flower Mound are also in a good position with all the director changes to take their 3rd or 4th Armies.

yes, i'm trying to get us to crowdfund a ridiculous armadillo trophy that gets passed around like the Grand Nats Eagle. ppl keep comparing this contest to Nats. well where the heck is our trophy then? c'mon TXBands!

A part of me has always wondered why an event with such a high attendance rate wouldn't have a semi-finals, although I'm sure if they did it would lose the distinction it has as a super regional, and seem more like a texan edition of grand nationals

18 hours ago, josephbandfan said:

I am 1000000% percent down with this armadillo idea.

a large armadillo standing triumphantly on its hind legs with a Texas flag wrapped around its neck like a cape. if we wanna make it extra classy, a severed eagle wing in its mouth.

or maybe just a giant one on four legs that we carve the names of the winners into so that it's covered in scars, like one of those trashy scribbled on walls at Gino's East pizza.

On 7/23/2022 at 4:27 PM, packwick said:

The selection of finalists using two different prelims panels will probably always rub me the wrong way, especially as the contest balloons in size. It means your band REALLY needs to be an undeniable finalist.

Unless the paying customers complain enough and the logistics of it are figured out, I doubt we'll see a semifinals anytime soon.

Depends on what’s more important to you- centered seats near 50 yard line? Or more comfortable to get to and closer viewing? 

there are no elevators or escalators- it’s all steep steps to get up to the upper deck.  I try and get near the front of the upper deck- any higher and I feel like the nosebleed seats are just too high up.  

the ga seats fill up really fast though… so if you plan on eating outside of the stadium when they clear the stadium between prelims and finals- by the time you get back and in line for the general admission lower seats- you likely could be over at either 20 yard line…. One person probably can get an empty seat in the center area easier than a group though… 

2 hours ago, Hard Core Band Fan said:

I recommend getting a seat high enough that you can see above the railings at the front of the upper deck. This is something that you don't think about until you are stuck looking through the railings. Row 8-9 should be high enough.

This! Trying to watch through the railings is not fun.