2022 BOA Grand Nationals (Nov. 10 - 12)

1 hour ago, BlastFromThePast said:

Agree that scores from different contests can't be directly merged and compared like that.

Yet, I also agree it is useful. If you look at any given band's BOA scores throughout the season, they nearly always increase from contest to contest (e.g., Regional -> Super Regional -> GN). Placement changes from contest to contest happen because a band improves their score over time more than other bands, rather than bands' scores declining.

So it seems reasonable to assume that most, if not all, of the SA finals scores represent a minimum of what they would have scored at GN (barring a major disaster of course). What's more unpredictable is how much higher these bands would have scored at GN.

Brilliantly stated! My favorite thing about the BOA activity is how easy it is to track the progress of a band over time.
And I like how easy it is to dissect the different strengths, limitations, or weaknesses of a program because I’ve seen bands score and place similarly in the same sub-captions over the years. 

17 minutes ago, BandFan59 said:

Box5 has released a statement on their social media regarding a rebroadcast of Grand Nationals:

"I wanted to let our friends know, that we at BOX5 are extremely devastated over the events that happened @ Grand Nationals yesterday.

Having been on phone calls all day, we finally believe we have a solution, we hope will alleviate at least some of the sting of last night for our customers and band families out there. Pending approval, we plan to rebroadcast the Bands of America Finals broadcast @ 7pm eastern, central, mountain and pacific every day this coming week (Mon. Nov 14 - 18). We are waiting for final approvals from BOA and we are working feverishly to encode and upload the uninterrupted broadcast to our streaming platform.

While this solution is not "ideal", it does have a silver lining. The incredible performers I saw in Lucas Oil last night will be able to watch their amazing accomplishment this season. And we can celebrate alongside them as much as possible.

We will reach out to all finals customers via email with instructions on how to watch. This email will contain other important information. Be on the lookout for this email.

I hope, from the bottom of my heart, you can find a way to forgive us and I guarantee we are already working on ways to improve our web infrastructure so this doesn't happen again for any of our performing members, friends, families and fans.

Sincerely,

Tim Snyder"

That's good! I personally don't know what happened last night since I was at work, but the fact that they are trying to fix it says a lot! 

13 hours ago, BandFan59 said:

While this solution is not "ideal", it does have a silver lining. The incredible performers I saw in Lucas Oil last night will be able to watch their amazing accomplishment this season. And we can celebrate alongside them as much as possible.

I would honestly LOVE for a time-limited rebroadcast of every contest to be an option. I know kids would love to be able to watch themselves perform after a memorable contest. Not every band has the time and resources to do a high quality recording of themselves at contests and I can imagine this being a decent revenue stream for Box5 or Flo or whoever.

I understand copyright issues are complicated but what a win this would be for just about everyone.

22 hours ago, BandFan59 said:

Box5 has released a statement on their social media regarding a rebroadcast of Grand Nationals:

"I wanted to let our friends know, that we at BOX5 are extremely devastated over the events that happened @ Grand Nationals yesterday.

Having been on phone calls all day, we finally believe we have a solution, we hope will alleviate at least some of the sting of last night for our customers and band families out there. Pending approval, we plan to rebroadcast the Bands of America Finals broadcast @ 7pm eastern, central, mountain and pacific every day this coming week (Mon. Nov 14 - 18). We are waiting for final approvals from BOA and we are working feverishly to encode and upload the uninterrupted broadcast to our streaming platform.

We will reach out to all finals customers via email with instructions on how to watch. This email will contain other important information. Be on the lookout for this email.

I hope, from the bottom of my heart, you can find a way to forgive us and I guarantee we are already working on ways to improve our web infrastructure so this doesn't happen again for any of our performing members, friends, families and fans.

Sincerely,

Tim Snyder"

They’re doing it!!  😃

On 11/13/2022 at 12:39 PM, Samuel Culper said:

I am a numbers person at heart, so I totally get the need to try to compare scores, but I don't think you can AT ALL. I think it's useless.

I agree that this comparison is useless when you are trying to compare scores that are really close with one another.  In other words, I think it would be foolish to say that Carmel would hands down beat Hebron at Grands National based on those two scores.

However, where I think the comparison is valid is when the scores are much wider apart.  So I think we can all agree that the lower half of the Grand Nationals finals (whose highest score is 91.0) would have been pushed out of the finals if the upper half of San Antonio (whose lowest score was 93.4) had been present at Grand Nationals.  

Heck, Hendrickson finished 20th at San Antonio with an 85 and only improved to an 89 over the next week.  I imagine most of the San Antonio finals would have improved on their scores as well.  So if anything...the scores are little biased toward the Grand Nationals finals.  

On 11/19/2022 at 10:13 AM, BlastFromThePast said:

Nice little BOA 2022 wrap-up here, with TXBands bloggers. I'd be interested to see the notes Daniel Valdez said he was taking on Carmel's GN finals performance.

I kinda do wish there was a bit more back-and-forth discussion about a band that was mentioned, instead of one of our commentators being much of the voice monopolizing the conversation when it came to talking about a group, not that it was intentional I’m sure, the guys are all trying not to step on each other’s toes,  giving everyone their time to shine and talk with their insight, and they’re all nice individuals. I just kinda do like that nature of piggy-backing off of someone’s thoughts, adding one’s own perspective as to what someone led off with and have a more “round-table” kind of approach to discussion, not that what I’m saying wasn’t happening, I just wish there was more of it, it’s still a very interesting video to watch.