2022 BOA Grand Nationals (Nov. 10 - 12)

4 minutes ago, Dave609 said:

here is a few bands I would love to see make the trip to SA Super Regional at some point!-

Tarpon Springs HS, FL

Union HS, OK

Mustang HS, OK

Broken Arrow HS, OK

Carmel HS, IN

Avon HS, IN

and a band that I wish could make the trip, but its much further, William Mason HS, OH

2017 when Avon came down to San Antonio was one of my favorite competitions! 

49 minutes ago, Samuel Culper said:

I am a numbers person at heart, so I totally get the need to try to compare scores, but I don't think you can AT ALL. I think it's useless.

Calling it useless is harsh and unnecessary. 

I think it is most useful when comparing bands that have performed at the same contests since sometimes programs peak at SA and score lower at grand nats. But i like the comparisons because it says a lot about how well a program is performing that season if they manage to score higher than a grand nats finalist. 

Edited by Dallas Hobbs

13 hours ago, Dave609 said:

here is a few bands I would love to see make the trip to SA Super Regional at some point!-

Tarpon Springs HS, FL

Union HS, OK

Mustang HS, OK

Broken Arrow HS, OK

Carmel HS, IN

Avon HS, IN

and a band that I wish could make the trip, but its much further, William Mason HS, OH

Add American Fork too.  They may not be top 5 but they are a darn fun band to watch and would be interesting to see where they would stack up to the rest of Texas.

10 minutes ago, bingogooberman said:

so impressed with what Southlake Carroll pulled off here. After Bedford, I really didn't think they had it in them but that finals run was fantastic. Everyone counted them out and then they showed up and really were the best TX band in Indy this weekend.

I always believed they could make it however I must say them placing 7th impressed me bc I wasn’t sure where they’d end up after being first out at boa Dallas and not making state. Go DFW!! 

1 hour ago, Dallas Hobbs said:

Calling it useless is harsh and unnecessary. 

I think it is most useful when comparing bands that have performed at the same contests since sometimes programs peak at SA and score lower at grand nats. But i like the comparisons because it says a lot about how well a program is performing that season if they manage to score higher than a grand nats finalist. 

Agree that scores from different contests can't be directly merged and compared like that.

Yet, I also agree it is useful. If you look at any given band's BOA scores throughout the season, they nearly always increase from contest to contest (e.g., Regional -> Super Regional -> GN). Placement changes from contest to contest happen because a band improves their score over time more than other bands, rather than bands' scores declining.

So it seems reasonable to assume that most, if not all, of the SA finals scores represent a minimum of what they would have scored at GN (barring a major disaster of course). What's more unpredictable is how much higher these bands would have scored at GN.