Prosper

Bubble:

O'Fallon Township

Castle

Licoln-Way Community

Kiski Area

Southlake Carroll

Robert E. Hendrickson

Going to be an exciting 3 days! Definitely going to see multiple programs make their debut in Grand Nats Finals.

I haven't watched most of the out of state bands in a while. I do know that Carmel came out on top over Avon at State in ISSMA, but I'm sure it was close enough that it could swap back again at Nats. I'm wondering where Tarpon Springs will fit in. I actually quite enjoy the show, but the other top bands may be a little more refined in both performance and design.

Final Predictions:

1. Avon (V/GE)
  2. Carmel (M)
  3. Broken Arrow
  4. Tarpon Springs
  5. William Mason
  6. Dobyns-Bennett
  7. M&G Johnson
  8. Fishers
  9. Brownsburg
  10. American Fork
  11. Prosper
  12. Mustang

I think the Eagle will go to one of Avon or Carmel. Broken Arrow and Tarpon Springs are contenders as well but I feel Avon and Carmel are just a bit better this year. Love Mason's show and think they shouldn't be counted out for a potential medal either. DB is a step below the top 5 this year but they still have a good show that should round out the top half comfortably. After that is where it gets pretty messy as the bubble this year is pretty massive. I'm thinking at least two Texas bands get into finals, with M&G Johnson the most likely and the other three probably more of a tossup. There are definitely some really good Indiana bands this year though, and I loved Mustang's show at St. Louis, so the fight to get into finals will be very tough.

On 11/9/2022 at 5:15 PM, Dallas Hobbs said:

I’m rooting for prosper to make finals bc their show is one of my favorites this year! Also I’ll try and make finals placements predictions once they’re all selected. There are too many bands for me to try and do prelims and semis placement predictions 😩

Dude!! You were on the money at the UIL. You have to give us your feedback on the Prelims. Don't do a play by play... but atleast predict the semi-finalists.  Also, I repeat, go to Vegas and bet on this. If they don't take your bet, fly to Ireland or the UK. They will give you odds on ANYTHING.

Have been quite busy all day so have only really got to catch the last few bands starting with Carmel. Thought they were really good and can see why they won ISSMA. They have nice full sounds musically that are really well controlled, especially in those softer moments. The pink streamers at the end were a nice touch and will probably earn them some nice VGE points. Brownsburg was solid but musically they've definitely got a few issues, with some blown releases and just rough sounds from the brass. Avon was fantastic. Nice and powerful sounds on a pretty difficult music book and while they may not have been quite as clean visually as Carmel, the uptick in difficulty should balance it out.

Great performance by SLC to end the day! I'm not entirely sure what the show is about but I enjoyed watching them nonetheless. Musically they sounded excellent and far better than some of the other bubble bands I caught in the last block. Visually there is still some dirt, especially near the end, but it's definitely much cleaner than when I first saw them at Bedford. Still firmly in the conversation for finals!

54 minutes ago, tamago1 said:

Praying SLC doesn't get a penalty from all the smoke... that stuff was in the air for like 30 minutes

I'm afraid they are...I just checked the rulebook

"The following are NOT ALLOWED in a Performance or on the Performance Field:

Applicable only to enclosed/dome venues:

- Fog, smoke, or similar effect-generating equipment"

Edit - This was also listed:

"The following may be used in a Performance, provided they are not hazardous and do not remain on the Performance Field or in the air following a Performance:

- Powder or other airborne material."

4 minutes ago, GeekBoy54 said:

I'm afraid they are...I just checked the rulebook

"The following are NOT ALLOWED in a Performance or on the Performance Field:

Applicable only to enclosed/dome venues:

- Fog, smoke, or similar effect-generating equipment"

Edit - This was also listed:

"The following may be used in a Performance, provided they are not hazardous and do not remain on the Performance Field or in the air following a Performance:

- Powder or other airborne material."

Didn’t broken arrow use a fog machine in their 2012 show? Did this rule exist at that point or is there a loophole?